Moving to Memphis area

Guest TheRev.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much commercial construction going on, plenty of workers!! I can't wait!

Same here...can't wait. Gus's is the best. However, I see no parking on the horizon at this new location.

Five Guys burgers opened recently as well. Another fav.

Guest db99wj
Same here...can't wait. Gus's is the best. However, I see no parking on the horizon at this new location.

Five Guys burgers opened recently as well. Another fav.

Is that over on Ridgeway and Park?

• Moderators
Is that over on Ridgeway and Park?

That one opened tonight. It was awesome. Get the cajun fries, much better than the regular fries. Best burger I've had since In & Out when I was in the PRK. Huey's is gonna lose their spot at the top of the best burger list in the Flyer's Best Of Memphis poll.

Sent from my MB511 using Tapatalk

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Between the Five Guys. Gus's, and Chipotle, east Memphis has gotten a lot of fun food recently!

Don't forget Newks!

I've seen the building, but don't know anything about the place other than I'm pretty sure there's also one in Knoxville. What kind of place is it?

Guest db99wj
I've seen the building, but don't know anything about the place other than I'm pretty sure there's also one in Knoxville. What kind of place is it?

It is similiar to a McAlisters but better, along the same lines as a Jason's Deli. The have a lobster bisque and a crab soup that are wonderful, the Shrimp Po Boy's are great, and the salads are huge. Their pizzas are more "gourmet" in style and are very good. Typical sandwich selection. A little more expensive than a McAlisters. I like the food.

Guest nicemac
Before all the Memphis bashing starts let me say it is a great place, has it's problems just like any other metro area in this state or any other, but you can make a fine life there. Plenty of good Christains and chuches, BBQ aplenty, shooting opportunities not so great. Stay out of certain areas and you will be fine (just like anywhere else).

Sorry, can't resist.

I spent six years working downtown and my wife was a paramedic on the MFD for four years. If my salary were to be tripled, I would not move from Nashville back to Memphis…

Stay at least 20-30 miles east of the river and you should be fine… You can still get to the Commissary and stay outside the 20 mile boundary.

Plenty of shooting opportunities all around Memphis, usually in self defense.

Sorry, can't resist.

I spent six years working downtown and my wife was a paramedic on the MFD for four years. If my salary were to be tripled, I would not move from Nashville back to Memphis…

Stay at least 20-30 miles east of the river and you should be fine… You can still get to the Commissary and stay outside the 20 mile boundary.

Now this isn't entirely fair. Things downtown have improved a HUGE amount in the past 10 years. There was really no good reason to be spending much time downtown back then, but now downtown is a great place to be, and statistically the downtown core has the lowest crime rate of anywhere in the city. That's not to say you don't have to be careful, and it's not to say that bad things don't happen, but it's certainly nowhere near what it used to be. I should know how the downtown is now - I live and work down here. My house and office are each less than a mile from the river.

Guest nicemac
Now this isn't entirely fair. Things downtown have improved a HUGE amount in the past 10 years. There was really no good reason to be spending much time downtown back then, but now downtown is a great place to be, and statistically the downtown core has the lowest crime rate of anywhere in the city. That's not to say you don't have to be careful, and it's not to say that bad things don't happen, but it's certainly nowhere near what it used to be. I should know how the downtown is now - I live and work down here. My house and office are each less than a mile from the river.

Things do not appear to be improving much:

4th most dangerous city in the USA 2005 (population over 500,000)

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

3rd most dangerous city in the USA 2010 (population over 500,000)

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010/City_Crime_Rankings_bypop_2011-2011.pdf

Guest nicemac
Nashville's looking real good at #8. :)

In 2010, Nashville is #75.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010/City_crime_rate_2010-2011_hightolow.pdf

BTW, Knoxville is #53

I personally wouldn't live in Nashville proper either–any big city for that matter. 30 miles from town–close enough for essentials, far enough away to not have to deal with the issues.

But Memphis is about as bad as it gets.

Edited by nicemac
Things do not appear to be improving much:

4th most dangerous city in the USA 2005 (population over 500,000)

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

3rd most dangerous city in the USA 2010 (population over 500,000)

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010/City_Crime_Rankings_bypop_2011-2011.pdf

To be fair, I didn't say that the overall crime rate was decreasing, just that downtown is a lot safer. The bad elements didn't all just disappear. They moved to other parts of town. But I'm not going to sit here and let people who aren't even from here crap all over my city and single out the area I live and work for extra ridicule. We have our faults, but at least we're making an effort. And with a new mayor, etc. I expect to see continued efforts and more visible results.

Yes Memphis can be dangerous. That doesn't mean you can't be safe here, and it's certainly no reason to disparage one of the areas of the city that is making a huge effort to improve.

Guest nicemac
But I'm not going to sit here and let people who aren't even from here crap all over my city and single out the area I live and work for extra ridicule.

Pointing out factual crime statistics to someone looking to move there is not crapping all over your city. The statistics show it getting worse, not better.

No, I am not from there, but I lived there long enough to realize that I wanted to get away as soon as was feasible. I have friends there who cannot wait to get away from the crime, the oppressive racial atmosphere and the politics.

I moved 200 miles east. What a difference a couple of hundred miles makes.

Lived here for 28 years and never been mugged, raped, murdered, assaulted, etc.

I guess I'm the exception that proves the rule.

Oh, and those 28 years were spent in Frayser and Raleigh as a white nerd. Those from Memphis will understand that statement.

Sorry, can't resist. . .

Stay at least 20-30 miles east of the river and you should be fine. . .

Pointing out factual crime statistics to someone looking to move there is not crapping all over your city. The statistics show it getting worse, not better.

Your statistics should have shown you that moving east would actually increase your risk rather than decrease it, unless you specifically mean moving far enough east that you're not in Memphis anymore. In which case that sounds like a dig. And your tone sure sounds like crapping. Plus you started by responding to someone who said they were going to get in before the crapping started and began by saying you couldn't resist...

That is all.

Edited by BenderBendingRodriguez
the politics.

That's what finally got to us. We're still in the metro area, and we like it here, but unless / until attitudes change, we'll stay in the outskirts.

Memphis is a great city, and while it has it's share of problems, all cities do. It always cracks me up how folks from other cities in this state look down on Memphis as if the other large cities don't have very similar problems...

Guest db99wj

The politics....well I personally think AC Wharton has done a great job, Mark Luttrel same thing good job, the new DA, Amy Weirich, I believe will continue to clean up this crime, our Operation Blue Crush that was developed here is being looked at all over the country due to its success. There are still some complete dumbasses in the City Council and School Board, but hopefully they will be going too. The political thing has been a joke, but hopefully their time has passed. The biggest issue here in the City and County is the school system, one of the largest in the country and has been run so poorly and been full of corruption for so long, its going to take awhile to clean up. It doesn't bother me as much as some, even though I pay for it with my taxes, I, as long as I am able, will send my kids to private school.

Yes, we have had some real problems, we still have some, we have had corruption and just plain stupidity in the leadership roles, but there are some good people that hopefully will steer Memphis out of the ditch.

Seems like the running joke about Memphis is that there are thugs everywhere, muggings rapes, shootings all over the city, this is simply not true. Staying in cities across the country over the years, there seems to be same news reports in those cities that are here in Memphis, my most recent was Nashville, you guys got some murders going on over there too! Most of the violence here is in areas that quite frankly, I aint' going to unless it is for work. I'm not hanging out in the hood at midnight. There are areas here that I will stay out of, there are areas here that I wouldn't let my wife go into, even in day time, same as for Nashville, Jackson TN, Dyersburg, TN and anywhere.

Don't you guys know that it's fashionable to bash Memphis even if you have never lived in or visited Memphis.

I have found that people who have lived here and still bash the city had very limited views and people skills.

Edited by LINKS2K
Guest nicemac
Don't you guys know that it's fashionable to bash Memphis even if you have never lived in or visited Memphis.

I have found that people who have lived here and still bash the city had very limited views and people skills.

My wife was attacked at knifepoint twice in Memphis. I worked downtown and we repeatedly had to call police/ paramedics to get the OD'ed hookers out of our public restrooms.

Yeah, i must just have limited views and people skills…

I will refrain from making any further comments about that little slice of heaven on our state's western border.

Y'all can have it! I will stay in rural Middle TN, where I have never found an OD'd hooker and every single issue is not about race.

<out>

I hate that your family had issues while you where here, but my opinion stands. I can't remember reading where someone from west Tennessee bashes another part of the state.

Most Memphians love our city and we are proud of our entire state.

Edited by LINKS2K