Car break ins

Well...they finally hit my neighborhood. All my gloveboxpapers were scattered. I'm amazed they left my 350 dollar drum. They got my neighbors lawnmower ... that's twice in two summers. They didn't take my mower which means they live in the neighborhood and know my mower is junk.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be tempted to leave a Gallon of diesel fuel in a gas jug out under a car port for someone to steal hoping they would be dumb enough to put it in their car.

(don't consider this advise as we don't know what someone might do with said gallon of diesel and would not want you to end up in some kind of trouble for being negligence in leaving it out by accident)

Chain things you like to things that's cemented to the ground, I live in the ghetto and that's what I do, and on the subject of cars take everything valuable out, get a car alarm if you can but if not then don't lock your doors cause they will only break the windows, and that guy who needed to use your phone at 11pm? He's checking to see who's home so he can break in, they love places like mine with window units, just kick the stick out from under the unit and your in the house.

When I was in Alabama we would have a bunch of vehicle burglaries about every 6 weeks. It was almost like clockwork. We contacted surrounding agencies and they said they had the same problem in some of their communities. After some investigating their cycles were also 6 weeks. It took some time but we figured out the thieves patterns. Turns out they were hitting 6 communities, one every a week. We were also able to determine which communitiy was next inthe rotation. That agency setup surveilance and like clockwork the groups came down the streets pulling on door handles.

They wouldn't actively break in but look for unlocked cars. They wouldn't take credit cards or even checks. They took cash, loose change or anything that could be sold without much fuss like music CD's.

The reason why they were able to get away with it for so long is they made sure to hit different jurisdictions. With a 6 week cycle most of them would agencies would work vigorously to figure out who it was for a couple of weeks then forget about it by the time the thives hit again.

I forget how much they estimated they were netting but I know it was something very substantial.

I can say from a security standpoint locking up your car can make most would be thieves pass on it unless there was someting really enticing in plain view. A friend who works for Knox County said that vehicle burglaries are on the rise and there are a lot every single day. He went on to say they are opening unlocked cars to get a credit card and really nothing else. He said they will use that credit card within 30 minutes to make a major purchase then toss the credit card. The day I talked to him he said a stolen card was used to make $6,000 of purchases at Big Lot. Either the cashier is in on it or just doesn't care enough to verifiy identities. A Uhaul that was rented with a stolen card was used to take bounty away and you know the trailer is gone now as well.

LE needs to increase penalties for thieves as well as investigate more vigorously. A firend has called LE (not Knox County) on several occassions about people breaking into a place of his fathers. LE doesn't sem interested so my friend has taken to self help. The last time he caught them he made them unload everything and put it back in place. Again, he only did this because our local LE is understaffed and overworked. My friend has the thieves nams, address and vehicles descriptions but LE said they can't do anything because they live in another county. Not to bash LE becasue it isn't the officers fault it is the county government's as well as their administration's fault.

Dolomite

I am prepaired to resort to the castle doctrine. I have a pistol for use in the house...outside will be my SKS

You know you can't shoot people stealing crap outta your car.

IIRC where you live I suspect this will not be the last time someone commits a crime against you. Crime is everywhere but there are some places where this is more crime.

Stay frosty.

Guest rebeldrummer

There is a really sweet older lady in our church who was telling my gram about just getting robbed.

Last week her and her husband invited their neighbor, single white mom w/a black boyfriend, to church.

According to Ms.Betty, they girl was very excited and was asking what time she needed to be ready? What time they left?

And how long they would be gone? Said she needed a sitter for the kid. Really she was getting her intel in order.

As soon, almost literally, ad they left...."someone" came,broke open the shed door and stole their 3 week old $4000 Toro zero turn!!

Now when ey got to church, Ms.Betty was asking if the greeters had seen a lady visitor, in hopes she was there. They said no.

She told them the story, and an usher was near. Having a bit of street smarts, he commented that it sounded like she was

Finding out when tom strike just as a joke!! Ms.Betty said she knew right away she had messed up and her and her husband stormed out of there.

It had been 40 min from the time they left until they got back home and it was gone! No camera. No witnesses no proof!!

I've been wondering when the longer term implications of high unemployment would start to play out. I was primarily thinking about teenagers getting out of high school and finding there were no jobs available, and discovering that gangs were still hiring. I thought it would be last summer, which is why I became interested again in firearms and self defense after 15 years or so of not thinking much about it.

This year, we've got gas prices on the rise again, still not a lot of improvement on the traditional entry-level unskilled jobs front, and now that the federal stimulus package is tapering off, local governments are starting to realize that they are going to have to raise taxes or cut services or both. Somewhere that's going to translate into less money for police, courts, and jails, or the "nice-to-have" community programs that keep teenagers occupied during the summer months.

Hopefully my concerns will not not materialize but I'm thinking the petty property crimes may start to increase.

Guest bkelm18

It's not that there aren't jobs, it's just people aren't willing to work the jobs that are available. Walmart, McDonalds, etc always have signs up saying they're hiring.

What difference did the boyfriend being black have to do with anything?

I really didn't take it as anything more than discriptors of both parties.

But then again, whats my opinion count for.

---------------------------------

As for breakins whether automobile type, home or structure. Yes they have been on the rise for awhile now.

Daytime is when you are most likely going to get it, and get it from somebody you know. Your off working and their at your home stealing your stuff.

Now that school is out car burglaries will go up even more.

* I really like those wildlife cameras like you can get at Bass Pro. You may catch someone you know driving by etc before you get hit. Or at least get a picture of the crime happening, maybe the persons face too. Not really an alarm by any means but useful.

*Radio Shack has door alarms and different things than may help foil an attempt. Not expensive by any means.

We had a black man walking up and down our neighborhood yesterday try to sell carpet cleaner. He was wanting to come inside to demonstrate its effectiveness. Could have been legit, but I was rather suspicious.

Guest mikedwood

I listen to the scanner cause it's better than most stuff on TV.

I have learned that most criminals when it's cold wear hoodies (of course hoodies are all season wear for criminals) and it seems crime fashion for this summer is a white tee shirt (color of the wearer is not important) and for footwear red sneakers seems to be in.

We had a black man walking up and down our neighborhood yesterday try to sell carpet cleaner. He was wanting to come inside to demonstrate its effectiveness. Could have been legit, but I was rather suspicious.

I don't buy nothing sold door to door.

If I ever open the door and find someone trying to sell door to door again I am going to ask to see their permit from the city for door to door sales.

Reason, our neighborhood watch sent out an email about high pressure vacuum cleaners asking to come in and show them off. They made a big deal out of them not having permits with the city.

So my guess is if you want to be a do more then just say no thanks, ask to see their permit from the CITY, and ID.

But still it is my policy to never buy or believe anything peddled door to door.

I listen to the scanner cause it's better than most stuff on TV.

I have learned that most criminals when it's cold wear hoodies (of course hoodies are all season wear for criminals) and it seems crime fashion for this summer is a white tee shirt (color of the wearer is not important) and for footwear red sneakers seems to be in.

Same here, last night there was a guy in a hoodie, he was caught with in 10 minutes of said event.

Guest 1817ak47

about 2-3 weeks ago I was unable to sleep much one night, I had my house windows open, and I heard a brief and then long beep that sounded like a japanese car horn. I thought for a moment that sounded very close. I got dressed grabbed a flashlight and my 380. paers were laying under the car that were in the glove box from purchases etc. drivers door wasn't closed either, it was open. they damaged the rear seat cause they tried to pull it forward.

car was not locked

tools were in trunk

trunk can ONLY be opened with a key

items lost, non that I am aware of, common hand tools were still in the car

I don't leave valuables in the cab!

if I had a way to open the trunk from the passenger compartment i would DISCONNECT it to prevent easy theft!

occursed at about 415 am. i live in E knoxville, not in the worst part either

Guest rebeldrummer
What difference did the boyfriend being black have to do with anything?

??? Just relating the story as it was told to me? No significance as far as I am concerned. Is that a problem that I mentioned that detail??

Guest rebeldrummer
I really didn't take it as anything more than discriptors of both parties.

But then again, whats my opinion worth?

You took it as intended.

I'm with TNCobra. The description of the "Toro" mower did not have racial undertones either.

I like this perspective....nice point!

:) Don't you know that those blacks boyfriends can't wait for you to leave for church so that they can steal your mower. Nothing like a zero turn mower on twenties. :P

Ha ha....funny! I could see it creeping down the road now!

??? Just relating the story as it was told to me? No significance as far as I am concerned. Is that a problem that I mentioned that detail??

Just thought it east tn typical that a colored man is made mention of but the race of any other people in the story was not noted. That and bigotry pisses me off, lol.