concealed carry

Guest JohnKnox003

Guest JohnKnox003

What are thoughts and experiences on some of the new slim profile carry weapons? I think I would prefer to stay with a single stack 9mm rather than go with a .380. My thought is to simply not have another caliber to deal with.

Thanks for your thoughts and help

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LeeroyNWH
What are the new slim profile weapons you are referring to?

this plus my opinion. officer 1911 in your choice of *cough 9mm cough* or .45 acp. very easy to conceal, shoots straight, and they're pretty to look at

Edited by LeeroyNWH

I carry a Walther PPS in 9mm and I love it. It's one of my favorite handguns I have ever owned (and I've owned a lot of different guns). It's very accurate, well-built, slim and compact, and I like the different mag sizes available. You can get a flush fitting 6 round mag, a 7 round mag with a bit of a finger extension, or an 8 round that has a much longer extension. It has a rail so you can add a laser if you so choose. The down side is the cost. It's a bit pricey, but if you shop around a bit, you can find them at a price that are a little more tolerable ($500 - $600 range). They are currently made in Germany and imported by Smith & Wesson.

The Kel Tec PF9 is pretty popular and it is definitely slim and compact. It's also quite a bit cheaper than the PPS ($300 range). If I didn't have my PPS, I would likely have a PF9. It's not as pretty or refined as the PPS, but Kel Tec generally puts out a reliable product and has great customer support. It's also made in America.

Many folks seem to like the Ruger SR9 series pistols. I have never shot one, but I am sure that they are fine pistols since Ruger has a history of putting out quality stuff. For me, they seem a little too bulky for concealed carry as far as my personal standards go, but their popularity certainly suggests you should give them a look.

The Cadillac of compact 9mm pistols is the Rohrbaugh R9. They are very pricey (many times pushing the $1000 mark) and I've read mixed reviews on their performance. They are definitely very compact and concealable.

There are plenty of other compact 9mm handguns out there, so the best bet is to narrow down a few that you prefer and go from there.

I just got a Kahr CM9 a couple of weeks ago and I'm liking it so far. 200 rounds through it in one session to get it broken in, not a single malfunction. It is very comfortable and concealed in a MTAC holster.

I’d like to find something slim to carry. I have an M&P40 compact, but it’s really not slim. I need at least a .40S&W so I’m pretty limited. The Kahr MK40 looks nice, but the $700 price tag seems awful high for what it is.

I’d try Walther PPS 40 today if it wasn’t foreign made. I wish S&W would buy them and get it over with and make that gun here. :P

I don’t think Kel-Tec is offering anything in a small .40 anymore. I don’t know why they quit making the P40.

The Kimber Solo in stainless would be an option if they ever made it in .40S&W. But it’s almost as big as the M&P and will probably have a $700 street price.

It appears there is only one gun if the sub compact or slim, .40S&W, made in America category. Maybe this year we will see more…..

I alternate between a Kahr PM9 and a S&W 649, with the little .357 seeing the most pocket time. I find either equally concealable size wise, with the PM9 being less obviously only because it drags the pocket down less.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

If you're looking at Kahrs (which I would recommend -- I love carrying mine), don't pass over the C-series guns. Much more economical than the other models, yet they're almost exactly the same things. Great value to be had.

Guest JohnKnox003

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and help. The single stack, slim profile pistols are exactly what I intended to describe. I have seen online and find the Kahr product interesting although Ruger is known for a quality product as well. Thanks again for the help.

Aw, come on Dave! The PPS is made in Germany and you know the Germans always make good stuff!

Sure, the Germans make good stuff. But they aren’t any better than the Americans. I would just rather support American workers and my own economy. :)

But that’s just me. :D

Guest JohnKnox003

anyone have experience with Bersa product? I have looked (not fired) at gunshops in the area and they seem well made just observing

I don’t think Kel-Tec is offering anything in a small .40 anymore. I don’t know why they quit making the P40.

FWIW, the story on the Kel Tec forum is that the P40 was very prone to limp-wristing by folks who weren't familiar with shooting light, compact pistols. Supposedly, people were sending them back to be 'repaired' when there was nothing wrong with them except shooter error. Apparently, it became more trouble/costly for Kel Tec to keep tying up their service department 'repairing' pistols that weren't broken than the P40 sales were worth so the pistol was discontinued.

There are still guys on that forum who own and carry a P40 - either a factory gun or a P11 with a .40 caliber conversion kit (there are also a few .357 Sig conversion kits out there) and they seem to like them. Like the P11, the P40 was a double-stack pistol while the PF9 is a single stack.

anyone have experience with Bersa product? I have looked (not fired) at gunshops in the area and they seem well made just observing

I have a Bersa 380CC and I love that little pistol. I've owned all sorts of handguns including Sig, Glock, Smith & Wesson, Kahr, Walther, and Colt and that Bersa has been just as good as any, and better than some of the big names I have owned. It eats everything I've put through it and no hiccups or signs of unusual wear. Definitely well worth the money. The biggest complaint I have seen and have personally is the finish. My pistol is a matte black finish and it's not especially durable. I can't speak for the stainless, but I would assume it would be much better for a carry gun if you are concerned about that sort of thing.

What about the Kimber Solo? Seriously thincken' about adding one to the rotation.

I just got a dummy gun for that Kimber and it seems like a great size for CCW. It's slim and compact for sure. It's a little bigger than a Sig P238 and feels good in my hand.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
Guest peacexxl

Seriously!? If you want a slim 9mm, buy a SLIM. Taurus PT709 Slim. I love mine ... I mean my wife's, even though I shoot it more than she does.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
Seriously!? If you want a slim 9mm, buy a SLIM. Taurus PT709 Slim. I love mine ... I mean my wife's, even though I shoot it more than she does.

I was thiiiiiiiiiis close to getting one of those, but ended up getting my Kahr instead. They were a bit too new, and did not seem to have gotten the kinks worked out quite yet. People who have good ones really do seem to love them, though.

I’d like to find something slim to carry. I have an M&P40 compact, but it’s really not slim. I need at least a .40S&W so I’m pretty limited. The Kahr MK40 looks nice, but the $700 price tag seems awful high for what it is.

I’d try Walther PPS 40 today if it wasn’t foreign made. I wish S&W would buy them and get it over with and make that gun here. :up:

The Kimber Solo in stainless would be an option if they ever made it in .40S&W. But it’s almost as big as the M&P and will probably have a $700 street price.

It appears there is only one gun if the sub compact or slim, .40S&W, made in America category. Maybe this year we will see more…..

Taurus PT740 Slim is a good gun.