Notable news: Gurkha soldier who single-handedly defeated more than 30 Taliban

...You can speak with admiration and still use racial slurs. ....

Yes i can, if i so choose, but i didnt. I spoke in the vernacular of the old british empire (...as did bajabuc...). Expand your education a bit and read this:

Israpundit » Blog Archive » The White Man’s Burden: Rudyard Kipling was Right .

There were no "racial slurs" (...except in your and SW's mind....). There were satirical references to "stereotypes" reaching back into the old British empire days.

The fact is, for the third time now, i have nothing but admiration for this hero. More than that, i believe as some others do here that he should have won the Victoria Cross.

Now, we can quibble about that a bit; but personally i believe that this hero has, in fact, been passed over, quite possibly due to his ethnicity.

Evidently your grammar school english teacher didnt do too good a job "espainin" what satire is. Here is the classical definition: ....a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn .

The "literary work" is my initial post. It wuz intended to both praise this man's heroism and to point up my take on "the vices and follies" of the esteemed british military establishment; specifically not awarding this genuine hero the Victoria Cross.

More simply put; my take is: ... Aint it is interesting that this genuine hero was awarded the second highest british citation for his extreme bravery; not the first? I wonder why?. Could it be biases reaching back to the old colonial british days?? Interestin question aint it?

There are some of us colonial rustics that entertain the thought that those very reasons harken back to the old colonial british empire days.

Thus endeth the lesson.

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the picture. He is small in stature (...that is ---"little" -- he aint as tall as the queen mum...). He is brown (...take a close look...). What's the problem?

Note that the end of the original post says "....with great admiration....". That's exactly what it means.

This little man is a "genuine hero", full of courage, dedication, and bravery. A man who happens to be "little (...in stature...) and (...brown...) serving in a military run by white folks, just as it was when "Britainnia ruled the waves". Ever hear of "the white man's burden"? It's a old british construct.

Hows that for an extended explanation!? (...as if i needed to make one...).

leroy

I thought it was a bit funny the queen might have wanted to to be taller and standing on a stair step taller than the little guy (<---just kidding no pun intended) Job well done big guy ;-)

It is one of those, back up against the wall moments, or in his case, surrounded and fight or die. He was going to fight to the end.

Saying this with all due respect, I heard a saying years ago that hold true. It is not the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog.

(I just checked and I believe that is Mark Twain).

The only weapon he did not use was the traditional Kukri knife carried by Gurkhas because he did not have his with him at the time.

Besides doing what was needed, there is another lesson people are forgetting to take from this story. The moral of the story, never leave your knife behind.

You never know when you might need it.

:)

Yes i can, if i so choose, but i didnt. I spoke in the vernacular of the old british empire (...as did bajabuc...). Expand your education a bit and read this:

Israpundit » Blog Archive » The White Man’s Burden: Rudyard Kipling was Right .

There were no "racial slurs" (...except in your and SW's mind....). There were satirical references to "stereotypes" reaching back into the old British empire days.

The fact is, for the third time now, i have nothing but admiration for this hero. More than that, i believe as some others do here that he should have won the Victoria Cross.

Now, we can quibble about that a bit; but personally i believe that this hero has, in fact, been passed over, quite possibly due to his ethnicity.

Evidently your grammar school english teacher didnt do too good a job "espainin" what satire is. Here is the classical definition: ....a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn .

The "literary work" is my initial post. It wuz intended to both praise this man's heroism and to point up my take on "the vices and follies" of the esteemed british military establishment; specifically not awarding this genuine hero the Victoria Cross.

More simply put; my take is: ... Aint it is interesting that this genuine hero was awarded the second highest british citation for his extreme bravery; not the first? I wonder why?. Could it be biases reaching back to the old colonial british days?? Interestin question aint it?

There are some of us colonial rustics that entertain the thought that those very reasons harken back to the old colonial british empire days.

Thus endeth the lesson.

leroy

Guest bkelm18

The thought-police are out in force tonight. :) It seems we can't discuss race anymore without being branded a racist. How about we discuss the Ghurka's (I'm sure that word is considered racist in some circles) virtues and not whether saying a man's skin color is brown is racist. My neighbor is a small white man. Oh man, that was so racist.

Someone's race shouldnt even be an issue is my point. There is no reason to describe someone using brown, yellow, black, white, red, etc. If Leeroy did not mean anything by it than that is fine. Personally I strive to not bring someones race into the equation at all. To me it is similiar to someone saying "....good job, for a girl..." It cheapens the accomplishment.

Someone's race shouldnt even be an issue is my point. There is no reason to describe someone using brown, yellow, black, white, red, etc. If Leeroy did not mean anything by it than that is fine. Personally I strive to not bring someones race into the equation at all. To me it is similiar to someone saying "....good job, for a girl..." It cheapens the accomplishment.

Exactly! The man's color had absolutely nothing to do with neither his heroism nor medal, but Leroy felt it was necessary to point it out twice. Then he has the audacity to feign offense to another's reaction in the pompous manner with which he is known by claiming to be speaking in the vernacular of the, “…old british empire…,” [sic] of which he is not a subject. What a joke! Perhaps he needs to put down the thesaurus and pay attention to what he’s saying to avoid misunderstandings?

Exactly! The man's color had absolutely nothing to do with neither his heroism nor medal, but Leroy felt it was necessary to point it out twice. Then he has the audacity to feign offense to another's reaction in the pompous manner with which he is known by claiming to be speaking in the vernacular of the, “…old british empire…,” [sic] of which he is not a subject. What a joke! Perhaps he needs to put down the thesaurus and pay attention to what he’s saying to avoid misunderstandings?

SW:_____________

You could use a manners lesson not to mention a bit of education. You are in no position to determine whether im "feining offense" or not. More than that; you may not be smart enough to have a meaningful conversation with me. If ya dont like the posts; dont read 'em. I doubt that you are in a positon to reply to them without using childish pronouncements. I could care less whether you like my opinions or not. You decided to start this little spittin contest, not me. How's that for clearing up "misunderstandings"?

leroy

I wonder just what this little brown man would have had to do to win the Victoria Cross??!.

With great admiration

leroy

Maybe spend four hours single-handedly holding off the Japanese, defending his position and saving injured comrades while killing 31 of the enemy with only a bolt-action rifle after having had a grenade go off in his hand, more or less blowing his hand off?

Gurkha Lachhiman Gurung: Victoria Cross hero dies aged 93 | Mail Online

I came across the above linked story a few months back after reading about a lone Gurkha, armed only with his kukhri, fighting something like 40 bandits on a train to prevent the rape of a female passenger. Those Gurkhas are definitely a bunch of bad asses.

Lessee...a second look at the picture...Queenie is an a platform...and wearing heels...he's standing below her ...I'd say he's not very tall..but he's shorter than the fella off to his right. The fella off to his right really doesn't look like a Brit...looks French to me.

SW:_____________

You could use a manners lesson not to mention a bit of education. You are in no position to determine whether im "feining offense" or not. More than that; you may not be smart enough to have a meaningful conversation with me. If ya dont like the posts; dont read 'em. I doubt that you are in a positon to reply to them without using childish pronouncements. I could care less whether you like my opinions or not. You decided to start this little spittin contest, not me. How's that for clearing up "misunderstandings"?

leroy

I could not care less about what any pseudointellectual blow-hard thinks about me. Nice try though.