Don't let your wife use your Netflix account

Don't let your wife use your Netflix account

In short, better watch it alone in the dark other wise you might be accused of sharing it and face jail time in TN.

Sharing Netflix Password Could Make Jailhouse Rock* - Search Engine Watch (#SEW)

:cheers:

This starting making it's way around work today.

Edit, add

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110601/NEWS0201/110601029/Sharing-Netflix-password-may-soon-crime-TN

a much better article.

But what this bill, fails to take into account, and maybe these services have changes. In the past Netflix used to only run on like 3 devices per account. If you maxed out your 3 device list that was it until licenses expired and that took months. So if they have changed that which I think they have, then it is their OWN fault for creating a HOLE in their own security.

Edited by vontar
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As a member in good standing with the Screen Actors Guild I can see this as needing to be enforced to a point. But what I do not understand is residuals will still get paid to the actors when people log into Nextfilx. Its when sites like Piratebay and limewire allows hacked material to be distributed for FREE. That is when it actually hurts the industry and those that rely on residuals to help pay some of the bills when not currently working on a project.

Edited by NV2TN

What if you log into several different devices?

Say for the sake of argument that my daughter watches a movie on the television via the XBOX, I watch a movie on my desktop, my wife watches one on her laptop. The next day I go to work and continue watching the same movie on my netbook, this would be a crime?

I think it is kinda bogus. I pay $10 a month for this, and nowhere in the ToS did it tell me I couldn't let my wife and daughter use it as well...

Are you guys reading the same article I did?

"It seems that most people sharing passwords within the same house, say between spouses, would be safe. However, if you're sharing your Netflix password with 10 of your friends, you may be getting more than a slap on the wrist soon," Geek.com noted.

Why on earth would anyone want to watch movies on the computer...doesn't TGO have enough drama for ya?

I hear ya, I am not even sure what Netflix is I just heard about this and thought I would post this. Thought it would drum up some extra drama tonight :cheers:

Are you guys reading the same article I did?

if that was from the second link, note, I added that a moment later after I found The Tennessean had a bettter article.

Edited by vontar

Well, my 2 step-daughters go to their dad's on the weekend and he is stubborn and only has TV over the air, all 3 channels. The girls take their laptops and cell phones and connect the laptop to the internet through the phone and then log into netflix and watch movies and tv they want, while their dad watches fuzzy abc....

that is stupid if im paying for it i should be allowed to let other people watch it or use it however i want

Yah, that's called theft.

It's the same thing as you buying a CD or DVD and making copies for your friends.

Why on earth would anyone want to watch movies on the computer...doesn't TGO have enough drama for ya?

First of all, Netflix distributes through a lot of different distribution channels. PC viewing is only one of them. Netflix also streams through set-top boxes like Roku Google TV and TiVo, on many BluRay DVD players, newer TVs with NetFlix built-in, Nintendo Wii, Micorosft XBox 360, Sony's Playstation3 etc. They also do mail-order DVD/BluRay.

As for Netflix accoutn sharing, in our gun world, this would be like paying for a membership to a range that includes you and your family and a reaosnable number of guests so long as you're present. Let's say that range is accessed through a keypad. How many of ou think it's OK to share that code with just anyone when your contract with the range owner clearly says your membership is for you, household members, and guests accompanied by you?

i let my brothers use it or family on there xbox when im at there house i dont see any harm in that

The problem is them using it when you are not at thier house. That is what would be called stealing. If you are watching a movie at your brothers house, I'm certain they don't care.

If you're present, and Netflix isn't limiting you to a specific device or number of devices, no problem logging on from another house, as long as you logout when done. That's like buying Iron Man on DVD and taking it to your brothers house and watching it with them IMO. It's a problem if you give them your password to use it whenever they please. That's like copying the DVD and passing it on to them. That's when it crosses to theft. But in the digital media world, those lines are getting blury. Legislation will never be able to keep up with the pace of technology.

First of all, Netflix distributes through a lot of different distribution channels. PC viewing is only one of them. Netflix also streams through set-top boxes like Roku Google TV and TiVo, on many BluRay DVD players, newer TVs with NetFlix built-in, Nintendo Wii, Micorosft XBox 360, Sony's Playstation3 etc. They also do mail-order DVD/BluRay.

As for Netflix accoutn sharing, in our gun world, this would be like paying for a membership to a range that includes you and your family and a reaosnable number of guests so long as you're present. Let's say that range is accessed through a keypad. How many of ou think it's OK to share that code with just anyone when your contract with the range owner clearly says your membership is for you, household members, and guests accompanied by you?

This is very well stated

Guest UberDuper

This law wasn't specific to netflix and from what I've read from netflix employees, they had no participation in drafting or getting the law passed. Netflix already takes steps to prevent this sort of thing by limiting the number of devices and monitoring use to catch obvious offenders.

The bill was sponsored by RIAA as an attempt to limit people sharing access to music distribution services like iTunes and Rhapsody. The media have just chosen to focus on Netflix in their reporting.

Overall I think the law is kind of odd.