I just got a 1911!

cch2a

I just picked up my first 1911, a Para SSP in Covert Black. I have owned XDs, M&Ps, and numerous Glocks but I must say that this is the best shooting gun I have owned. I was only able to put 50 rounds through it but my groupings were better than with my Glock which is what I have the most experience with. I do need some help finding an ambi safety for it. I have searched everywhere online and can't seem to find a Covert Black ambi safety. I really wanted to stick with Para Covert Black so finish would be close. I am not a big fan of two tone items. Any suggestions?

DSC04063.jpg

Edited by cch2a
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for you. thumbsup.gif

But you know the rules…. Without pics it didn’t happen.

Like many others I have many types of handguns. To me Tupperware guns are tools… duty, carry or home protection. And I use them for that.

But my 1911’s and Revolvers are a joy to shoot and fine examples of real quality firearms manufacturing. I’ve never owned or shot a Tupperware gun that was anywhere near as accurate as my 1911’s or my revolvers.

Everything is application driven. :P

I think the Ambi safety has to be fit to the gun by a gunsmith. Have you tried Ed Brown?

I would call or shoot Para an email and ask them.

Edited by DaveTN

Congratulations on your first 1911. In al likelyhood, it won't be your last. I don't own a Para, but have shot several. They're nice guns. As DaveTN says, I too find that the 1911 is much more pleasurable to shoot than most of my other autoloaders.

Added pic above. I think "Covert Black" is just their fancy speak for black but I just wanted to make sure because I know sometimes different coating processes produce different depths of black and want the safety to be as close as possible. I did shoot Para an email this morning but haven't gotten anything back yet. What about grip panels? What are your opinions on the different materials? Probably will stick with black, either aluminum or wood. Pics of grips would be appreciated.

What about grip panels? What are your opinions on the different materials? Probably will stick with black, either aluminum or wood. Pics of grips would be appreciated.

Those are my range grips in my photo, they are Pachmayer American Lengend Series grips. But I wouldn't use them or any other rubber grip for carry, clothes hang up on them too much.

Depends on you application.

No, they are just checkered plastic and the checkering is shallow. That is my main reason for wanting something with more aggressive checkering or different material. I know aluminum would be slick but thought the checkering might have more bite. I have no issues with the appearance of the stock panels, just want more grip. Sorry just realized you were not referring to me.

congrat's on the new heater.

I guess I am the one who doesn't get it. I have a 1911 and love it, absolutely love it but I have not grasped the concept of why I would want to buy more than the one.

Congrats!

I'm pretty much with you on this. I love my 1911, but probably won't start a collection. Wish I could say the same about AR's.

Those are my range grips in my photo, they are Pachmayer American Lengend Series grips. But I wouldn't use them or any other rubber grip for carry, clothes hang up on them too much.

Depends on you application.

I have a set of double diamond grips that are wood and they offer good grip, and I have a set of hard rubber grips that feel awesome. They are similar to double diamond but would not work good for concealed carry. too grabby, would grip clothing. Application is everything.

congrat's on the new heater.

I guess I am the one who doesn't get it. I have a 1911 and love it, absolutely love it but I have not grasped the concept of why I would want to buy more than the one.

For many years I was content to have one 1911. Several years ago, after getting a second 1911, I found that there seemed to always be another, usually more expensive, 1911 that I found it necessary to purchase.:D

I just picked up my first 1911, a Para SSP in Covert Black. I have owned XDs, M&Ps, and numerous Glocks but I must say that this is the best shooting gun I have owned. I was only able to put 50 rounds through it but my groupings were better than with my Glock which is what I have the most experience with. I do need some help finding an ambi safety for it. I have searched everywhere online and can't seem to find a Covert Black ambi safety. I really wanted to stick with Para Covert Black so finish would be close. I am not a big fan of two tone items. Any suggestions?

DSC04063.jpg

EGW did carry any thing need for a Para to make it a lean mean shooting machine, i would think they would.