hi power clone followed me home

Guest nysos

Guest nysos

Went to go get my hair cut today, and there was an hour wait - so I signed up on the list and ran down the road to a pawn shop that I know carried firearms but had never been in. Saw a decent ruger mkI that I looked at, but upon closer inspection was in pretty rough shape....and then this caught my eye in the back. An FM hi power clone, and needless to say it followed me home. Importer markings show sports arms of miami florida on opposite side of the slide.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/-zippy-/hipower1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/-zippy-/hipower2.jpg

Website seems to not like the links, saying they are invalid urls so I guess you have to click some buttons to see them.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest President Fernatt

I clicked this because the first thing I thought about was clone as in muscle car clone lol I don't know what I was thinking but anyyyways... congrats on the gun, those links worked fine for me btw

Guest nysos

No FM is initials for a Argentinian manufacturer, they made some hi powers under contract from browning/fn. It was manufactured in Argentinia and imported from sports arms of miami. Apparently the later year productions aren't as up to snuff to browning's specs and quality control, but still decent shooters. I have no idea as to the age of this one. It seems pretty basic and rough, more of a GI style.

per wikipedia:

The Rosario, FM90 and FM95 models are manufactured by FM. The Rosario is an almost exact copy of the Mark II intended for Argentine and Latin American sales. The FM90 was an export model based on the Mark II, but with a "Colt style" slide without the characteristic beveled front end. Rubberized pistol grips (similar to the Pachmayr grips used for P35s) with finger grooves were used in place of the traditional slabside wood grips. The FM95 was the current export model (until 2002) based on the Mark III, also with the "Colt style" slide. The last model, until 2010, are the M02 AR(modernized version of the M95, with a new single action system by Fabrique nationale) and the M03 AR (not dated 2003, as it would seem, actually a .40S&W version of M02 AR) with their Detective versions.[7]

Edited by nysos

I recently purchased an FM hipower from a forum member here. It is stamped "FM Hi-Power Industria Argentine" on the left side slide and "Detective" on the right. It's a 4in barrel in black finish similar to the black parkerized versions of the Belgian Hipowers. I was a little aprehensive til I inspected and shot the pistol, but it's in excellent shape and functions and shoots very well. Except for paying more than I had hoped for it(a little did for pops here) I'm very satisfied with it. I'd heard of these "compact" hipowers but hadn't seen one before. Had run across the Arcus information, but not the actual pistol.

This seems to be a good copy of the orginal. It is easily as good as the Charles Daly Phillipine imported hp clones and in my opinion much better.

If yours, nysos, is as good as this, it should be a great Hipower copy.

FM clones are nearly identical to the original Hi-Power. Good job on the buy. My first pistol was a FEG Hi-Power clone. It was a great shooter, comfortable and all. I sold it to buy my XD carry piece (I just couldn't get over the magazine safety :/)

Guest nysos

I am not a big fan of the mag safety either, but I bought it for a range gun so I will get over it. Shoots great, as dirty as it was when I got it, I wasn't sure how smoothly it would operate. Again, it ran flawlessly - my only issue was having to pry the mag out (really really tough to get out sometimes), but that should be addressed easily enough. The manual safety after it got worked some at the range in conjunction with the clp I put on it the previous day helped loosen things up as well.

My only real problem is justifying keeping it because my fiance fell in love with shooting my friends 22, so she is trying to convince me to sell it off/trade it off to get her a 22 to plink with, lol.

nysos, if at all possible, don't get rid of your hp clone. As you say great range gun, but it's no slouch as an self-defense or home defense pistol either. Maybe it's not the latest high-tech plastic wonder pistol (yeah I've got some of those too), but it's a solid, functional pistol that's easy to use and has readily available ammo.

I know money has a lot to do with the decision, but hey, tell the old lady, and mine's not listening so I can say this, It's mine and I'm gonna keep it. Then tell her you are looking for a 22 for her so you can both shoot together and each have their own to enjoy.

It's worked for me.:popcorn:

The only problem I've had with my FM M90 HiPower is the crappy black paint finish chips and flakes. I removed the d@mn magazine safety to improve the trigger pull and allow the mags to drop free. Aside from the finish, there is nothing wrong with these pistols.

Guest nysos
The only problem I've had with my FM M90 HiPower is the crappy black paint finish chips and flakes. I removed the d@mn magazine safety to improve the trigger pull and allow the mags to drop free. Aside from the finish, there is nothing wrong with these pistols.

Mine has some chipping just like you described, I am probably just going to get someone to bead blast it and go with a naked stainless. I will probably remove the mag safety as well if that helps the mags drop free.