XD with Thumb safety for 2008

Guest db99wj

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jamie
Man;if this becomes a standard on XD's I am affraid I will have to buy a Glock :D

Why? It's not like you have to use it if it's there.

Guest nosnos

I have a friend who recently bought one of these with the thumb safety. I didn't even notice it when I was shooting it, but it actually kept my wife from being able to fire it unless she really got a good grip on it. I definitely would recommend trying the gun out before buying (obviously).

Anyway, I'm happy with my Glock...

Guest db99wj
I have a friend who recently bought one of these with the thumb safety. I didn't even notice it when I was shooting it, but it actually kept my wife from being able to fire it unless she really got a good grip on it. I definitely would recommend trying the gun out before buying (obviously).

Anyway, I'm happy with my Glock...

These haven't been released yet, there was talk about them at this years shot show (was told by someone that went). I believe you are thinking of the grip safety.

I am not sure what I think about it. From the picture, it seems very unobtrusive opposed to other external safety switches on other guns. It might be useful when it is not holstered and is at home, and you have kids or something. I don't know yet.

Manual Safety + XD = Springfield's entry in whatever competition the Army's running to find a replacement for the M9 this year.

Interesting. Have you heard or read something about this? I'm curious to learn more.

Guest Halfpint

. . . if it had a hammer, I would think it's trying to be a polymer 1911.

Don't really like it, but I don't like the XD's grip angle in the first place.

Guest Scottech

I don't think it matters, just as long as there is some sort of "decocker" mechanism manual safety with a firing pin block...and in .45 ACP. :(

I looked at the picture again and thought that the safety lever was on the wrong side. So I went to the SA webs site to look at it. Appears it's an ambidextrous safety, or a lever on both sides, just like the mag release. Very nice for left handers.

I'm personally not a big fan of the safety on this gun, but it may give some people an extra level of comfort. As long as it's an option, I say they've done a good job in the design, based on the picture.

It occurs to me that this could be a good thing. As you know, I don't think a handgun should be carried in a condition where it can not just be drawn and fired. Funny things happen to training in an adrenalin rush. More than one experienced packer or LEO has forgotten to flip off the safety when bullets started flying their way.

But the XD is basically a Glock with some additional safety features. That, in final analysis, is why I sold the XD-9 sub.

But it does occur to me that it would be possible to train yourself to flip on the manual safety while holstering the weapon and immediately flip that safety off as soon as it is in the holster. Sounds like a good idea if you just have to carry a striker-fired handgun.

Guest Jamie

But it does occur to me that it would be possible to train yourself to flip on the manual safety while holstering the weapon and immediately flip that safety off as soon as it is in the holster. Sounds like a good idea if you just have to carry a striker-fired handgun.

If folks have trouble training enough to automatically take the safety off before they fire, I can't imagine that they'll fair any better with learning to manipulate it twice when they re-holster.

And that really is what it comes down to; training and practice.

For me, growing up with 1911s and 1911-type guns, operating the safety is second nature. It comes off before I pull the trigger, and goes right back on when I'm finished firing, without me ever really thinking about it. And I also catch myself trying to find the safety on guns that don't even have one. :)

Most of the people that you mention forgetting to flip off the safety are more than likely folks that haven't spent much time with that type of gun. They either come from a revolver background, or are used to shooting DA autos, Glocks, etc. and simply haven't gotten enough trigger time in yet for the "safety off" actions/motions to be burnt in.

And with most LEOs, they never get enough instruction or practice anyway, so unless they devote themselves to learning on their own time, they probably never will get there.

Anyway, the safety on an XD seems like a good idea to me. It's there for the people that want it, and it can be ignored by those that don't. It shouldn't be a problem at all, unless it's adopted by some L.E. department or the other, and it's mandated that the safety be used, but adequate training isn't provided.

If folks have trouble training enough to automatically take the safety off before they fire, I can't imagine that they'll fair any better with learning to manipulate it twice when they re-holster.

Jamie, just trust me. It's an entirely different situation when someone is shooting at you. It will be much easier to train yourself in safety procedures when holstering than when attempting to return fire.

Most of the people that you mention forgetting to flip off the safety are more than likely folks that haven't spent much time with that type of gun. They either come from a revolver background, or are used to shooting DA autos, Glocks, etc. and simply haven't gotten enough trigger time in yet for the "safety off" actions/motions to be burnt in.

And with most LEOs, they never get enough instruction or practice anyway, so unless they devote themselves to learning on their own time, they probably never will get there.

I think one of the reasons for acceptance of Glocks for LE, apart from the lack of the scary hammer and excellent LE pricing, is the lack of a real safety. A lot more than one LEO using a 1911 forgot to unlock the weapon when confronted in a gunfight. A common scenario, from what I am told found the poor guy dropping the mag, slipping in a second, racking the slide and still not figuring out that the problem was that the safety was on. Odd stuff happens to you when someone is shooting at you.

That's why I don't trust myself after 38 years of being shot at to remember to remove a safety when the SHTF.

Guest Jamie
Jamie, just trust me. It's an entirely different situation when someone is shooting at you. It will be much easier to train yourself in safety procedures when holstering than when attempting to return fire.

Um... Marswolf? I spent two and a half years working the night shift with the local S.O.

And I've been shot at more than once.

Edit: One other thing... How do you rack the slide on a 1911 with the safety on?

( Yes, this is a trick question )

Edited by Jamie