Megadeth - Washington is Next!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Megadeth stayed much more consistent to their roots than Metallica. I still listen to both bands a lot, but only thing I listen to from Metallica is all pre-Load stuff.

I agree that there was a big shift starting with Load, but I think DM was crazy good.

Guest Victor9er

Death Magnetic was 'Tallica's best effort in years... but I agree most of what I listen to when it comes to Metallica is pre-Load era.

Megadeth did stray from their roots a bit (see: Cryptic Writings & Risk) but for the most part they have stayed true... or I should say Dave has stayed true. There's not a lot of collaboration going on with those albums, they're basically just Dave Mustaine solo albums under the name Megadeth... but Megadeth IS Dave Mustaine so whatever.

I still feel that they hit their zenith with the Rust in Peace and Countdown to Extinction albums, but both Metallica and Megadeth have long been two of my favorite bands.

I prefer Metallic over Megadeth, though I do like both. I saw Megadeth back in the late 90's, Mustaine can put on a good show. As Mustaine is the only constant member, it is easier for him to continue making the same sound he wants. The one thing that bothers me, although he has gotten better in recent years, is his unabashed hatred against Metallica. I wasn't there, so I won't take sides, but the fact that they still gave him writing credit for all the songs he collaborated with means they didn't entirely hate him. He went on to found and create the second greatest Thrash Metal band of all time, second only to his nemesis. I don't think he did badly all in all.

Death Magnetic was a great album. It really got Metallica back where they belonged and made them relevant again. Personally I prefer Ride the Lightning and consider ...and Justice for All their last great album. Though there are some good songs on each album except the one that shall not be mentioned. I have bought everything they have released since the Black Album at midnight of the release date. I don't think I listened to the one that shall not be mentioned twice. Death Magnetic was superb and put me in a mind of Black Album studio finishing with ...and Justice for All passion.

I love how it only took two 2 replies before Metallica was mentioned in a Megadeth thread. I wonder if that still pisses Dave off? :lol:

I'm a big Metallica fan. I guess you'd call me a die hard, because I like it all. Perhaps Load and Re-load should have been culled down into one album, and sure, the production on St. Anger was horrible. But they still have some great songs.

Personally, I think the only thing that kept Megadeth from being bigger than Metallica was Dave's ego. Their music is fantastic. Dave's singing is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Instrumental mixes of their albums would :usa: If he'd found a better singer instead of having to do that himself too, they'd be the Big 4 headliner.

I think Dave is the more accomplished musician, but I agree his singing can be abrasive at times. As far as Dave's ego, I think with a little research you'll find that he's done a number on himself in the last few years. He's not the same guy. He's really grown up a notch. I'm proud of him.

*bear with me here, I do have point for this tangent*

It's a fact that humans as a whole don't want to hear anything about GOD being superior, or being at all. People despise Judeo-Christian prophecy because one, it's coming to pass, and two, it makes them realize the life they've lived ain't going to cut it. People want to be free to do as they please and they get angry when they are told they have to answer for everything they've done in life.

I think some of the reason for Megadeth's limited success is because of how many songs Dave has written and used as a presentation of those truths. Some people would jump up and down to disagree with me, but they've obviously NOT paid attention to what they've been listening to. Dave is a believer and I can identify with him easily for many of his points of view. He has for years pointed out the direction man is heading. The earth will be scorched with fire...."eradication of, a population lost, ...Polaris" He has been prophet of sorts since way before he cleaned up his life, but as of late, his music is saturated with it. I for one LOVE IT. Kick the chair? That's undeniable...Our system HAS failed. I especially like and identify with how he can affirm God and deny the bulk of organized religion.

On a sad note for me, I absolutely DESPISE slayer. It may be wrong, but I have nothing but bad wishes for them. Tony Araya is a scum bag and lacks any real talent at all. If the only thing he can sing about is how much he hates Jesus Christ, the man is more pathetic than anyone I know. With all the opportunities life has afforded him looks like he could just shut up. You don't have to believe to be respectful. He's trash and he'll die trash. I pity him...ANYWAY, I can relate to him a bit, we both have very bad backs. His bad spine cost me my chance to see Megadeth. I had gooooood tickets too! He canceled the show...and here's what I don't understand, IN MUSIC CITY USA??? You mean to tell me in Nashville he couldn't find a replacement? How many bass players are there in Nashville that would love a one night pay day???? I bet he could have gotten it done for free!! Anyway, piss on the man, he's scum. AND, now Megadeth is not coming back to nashville anytime soon. *sigh* Now that I am old enough to do as I please, and can afford it, I'm poop out of luck. ggggrrrrrr! Dave has been fighting illness too, money says he won't be back. That's the reason me and the wife went to see Ozzy back in FEB, there's a good chance he'll have to quit touring too.

Wow, I didn';t realize I was ranting..My apologies.

Edited by Caster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV2jSUzsrLI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbsmdEa6jHs&feature=related

Dave is a very smart guy, and I have alot of respect for him for conquering his addictions. Personally I think he has eclipsed Metallica as much as I love that band. Really I think Dave has a sense of purpose that is driving him whereas Metallica has none now.

For the record, I do not subscribe to Alex Jones and all the conspiricy theories, but you do get a glimpse of Dave and how he thinks. Edited by Metalhead

I saw Metallica at the Sommet center for Death Magnetic, It was AWESOME, but I have to say, you're right, they have no drive. They're there to perform and that's it. In my opinion, they haven't had a real drive since Justice. Justice had a real fire in it that no other album has ever had. They've lost thier will to make really good music.

Dave is a very smart guy, and I have alot of respect for him for conquering his addictions. Personally I think he has eclipsed Metallica as much as I love that band. Really I think Dave has a sense of purpose that is driving him whereas Metallica has none now.

+1

I hadn't seen those interviews with Alex Jones. Thanks for sharing.

I agree that Megadeth has eclipsed Metallica. I pretty much gave up on Metallica after Reload, and St. Anger was the nail in the coffin. I know Metallica, or at least Lars, hates fans like me.

I saw Megadeth at the Bijou in Knoxville back in the '90s. It was a great show and I enjoyed it despite the fact that it was in the summer and this was a year or two before the Bijou got air conditioning. My buddy and I came outside after the show and started shivering in the 86 degree temps because it felt cold to us after the heat inside during the show.

That was back when Mustane was still his old, abrasive self. Remember, the Bijou is a pretty 'intimate' venue I remember during one break between songs when Mustane was talking about something (I honestly don't even remember what) someone in the audience who wanted to hear a specific song called out to ask that he play whichever song it was and Mustane's response was to look directly at the person with a look of rage on his face and growl loudly into the microphone (and, yes, this exact quote I do remember), "Shut up, a**hole, I'm talking!"

I saw Metallica at Thompson-Bowling around the same, general time on the tour that later saw Hetfield get burned by the pyrotechnics (he got burned while they were playing 'One' but I think that was actually the tour in support of the Black album.) Also a great show but even then they seemed to lack the passion that Mustane had. Of course, it might have just seemed that way due to the very different venues. To be truthful, though, I really stopped being a big Metallica fan when they got involved in the whole Napster lawsuit. I'm not even saying that the early days of Napster were right or wrong but here was a band that got where they were largely because of bootlegging - they even allowed people to openly record at their concerts earlier in their careers in order to get the 'word of mouth' advertising that bootlegging provided - and now that they were making money they were suing over that very thing? Hypocrisy in it's purest form, IMO. Of course, it didn't help that the music they made subsequent to that was mostly crap. The Black album and, to a lesser extent, Load were okay albums but (aside from the possibly exception of 'Wherever I May Roam') neither was a very good Metallica album. "Fade to Black" was their greatest song, Master of Puppets was their best album and, as far as I am concerned, ....and Justice for All was the last real Metallica album before the corporate bodysnatchers began taking over. I've heard that Death Magnetic is more like the real Metallica but haven't had a chance to listen to it and haven't been able to bring myself to buy it to find out.

As for Slayer, I really like their music. Personally, I think they have some of the best riffs in the genre and talk about a band staying true to their roots! As far as the 'hate Jesus' stuff, maybe some of it does come from a dislike of Christianity but I once read an interview with them where they talked about some of their darker, even satanic-seeming songs and they stated that their intent was that people view those songs as the musical version of horror movies - intentionally disturbing and not intended to be taken seriously or at face value.

Further, that isn't 'all' they have done. They've had war protest songs (War Ensemble), anti-gang violence songs (Expendable Youth) and more. They even had one song (Silent Scream) that seems to be an anti-abortion song.

Edited by JAB

[quote name=JAB;766013

Further' date=' that isn't 'all' they have done. They've had war protest songs (War Ensemble), anti-gang violence songs (Expendable Youth) and more. They even had one song (Silent Scream) that seems to be an anti-abortion song.[/quote]

...and dead skin mask where a little girl is obviously being held against her will and she is crying to get out..No friggin thank you. I have decent tolerance for a great many things. Their filth is not one of them.

In my younger dumber days I was a big fan. Nothing pumps you up to skate vert like some hard core tremolo picking.

Guest Victor9er

I saw Metallica at Thompson-Bowling around the same, general time on the tour that later saw Hetfield get burned by the pyrotechnics (he got burned while they were playing 'One' but I think that was actually the tour in support of the Black album.)

Actually, Hetfield got burned on the into to Fade to Black, but it was in tour of the Black album. That was in Toronto when they were touring with Guns N' Roses and the same show where Axl threw a temper tantrum and stormed off stage. There was a riot right after that.

As for Slayer, I really like their music. Personally, I think they have some of the best riffs in the genre and talk about a band staying true to their roots! As far as the 'hate Jesus' stuff, maybe some of it does come from a dislike of Christianity but I once read an interview with them where they talked about some of their darker, even satanic-seeming songs and they stated that their intent was that people view those songs as the musical version of horror movies - intentionally disturbing and not intended to be taken seriously or at face value.

I remember reading or hearing a story about a preacher who was writing a book about satanism in the music industry, and as part of his research he asked to go along on tour with Slayer to observe. Well they agreed and he went on tour with them. His discovery was that it was all theatrics. These people in the band were not actually satanic in any way, they were actually nice people and everything they did on stage night in and night out was scripted and rehearsed. There was no sacrifices to the dark lord back stage or evil prayer groups. It was all for show, just like theater, and he understood that.

Actually, Hetfield got burned on the into to Fade to Black, but it was in tour of the Black album. That was in Toronto when they were touring with Guns N' Roses and the same show where Axl threw a temper tantrum and stormed off stage. There was a riot right after that.

Yep.

I remember reading or hearing a story about a preacher who was writing a book about satanism in the music industry, and as part of his research he asked to go along on tour with Slayer to observe. Well they agreed and he went on tour with them. His discovery was that it was all theatrics. These people in the band were not actually satanic in any way, they were actually nice people and everything they did on stage night in and night out was scripted and rehearsed. There was no sacrifices to the dark lord back stage or evil prayer groups. It was all for show, just like theater, and he understood that.

I can't claim to be a "fan", but I've heard the same things. Slayer, like Madonna, learned early on that controversy sells. I saw an interview with Tom Araya a while back where he admitted it. They'd take a controversial subject and intentionally write a song from the opposing perspective just to push people's buttons. Araya actually seemed to be the most normal one of the bunch. While he does write lyrics to some songs, Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman write a lot as well, and those two are pretty far out there. It's a common misconception.... just because the singer sings it doesn't mean he wrote or even agrees with the lyrics. It's his job to sing.

Guest Victor9er
Yep.

I can't claim to be a "fan", but I've heard the same things. Slayer, like Madonna, learned early on that controversy sells. I saw an interview with Tom Araya a while back where he admitted it. They'd take a controversial subject and intentionally write a song from the opposing perspective just to push people's buttons. Araya actually seemed to be the most normal one of the bunch. While he does write lyrics to some songs, Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman write a lot as well, and those two are pretty far out there. It's a common misconception.... just because the singer sings it doesn't mean he wrote or even agrees with the lyrics. It's his job to sing.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan either... but I know it's all for show. (I also know that Slayer is actually quite mild and tame compared to some of the more obscure and extreme bands out there!) In fact Kerry King is an avid snake breeder/farmer. He has a very large collection of snakes that he takes care of and I guess sells or whatever. Anyway, I remember seeing an interview with him and he was showing the guy all of his snakes and talking about them. He said that among the "snake breeding" community that most of the people he meets have no clue that he's in a band, much less which band. To them he's just "Kerry the snake breeder" lol

:shrug:So he doesn't believe it. They're feeding to impressionable young people, and older ones too.

Yes, there's certainly worse bands, Cannibal Corpse, Rotting Christ, even way back in the day with King Diamond.

It's not the point of their perspective; It's the point of how they are received. Personally I am of sound mind enough I could sit through a black mass and not have my faith or mind for that matter impressed upon one bit, there are many who are easily led though. That's the real evil. It's not what you believe but the manner in which you shine your personal light. They can be very devout in their faith and they will still answer for it.

I've heard that Death Magnetic is more like the real Metallica but haven't had a chance to listen to it and haven't been able to bring myself to buy it to find out.
If I think about it and can remember, I will burn you a copy of it. It is really good.

Of course you could probably find it online somewhere and download it...

It was a Metallica album that was worth buying, which was satisfying after buying a couple that weren't.