School me on the AK 47

gregintenn

My kids are on me saying they want to shoot an AK 47. I have a Norinco SKS, but it just isn't the same so they say. Any advice on selecting one? I see the WASRs are the inexpensive and readily available thing at the moment. I like my SKS, but the Norinco AKs I've seen are outrageous in price!!! I don't want one that tries to look like a sporting rifle, pistol, or a tacticool version. I'm simply looking for a shooter with the classic AK look.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WASRs are fine for what you're wanting. Just make sure to handle it before buying it to make sure the sights aren't canted or anything.

I've heard to look for canted sights and loose magazines. Anything else in particular? Is there another variety I should consider?

Guest bkelm18

Yep, sights and mags are the two biggest concerns with the WASRs. Really, for just a bare bones, plinking AK, you can't beat the WASR for the price. Beyond that you're gonna get into the more "tactical" type AKs. You could buy a Saiga and convert it for probably about the same price and get an outstanding quality AK if you're wanting to do a little work.

I have a wasr and do not have a problem with the canted sights or loose mags. However I have found with mine and the ones my buddies have, they seem to not like the poly mags. For the price I can't be happier with mine. A very fun, functional gun.
What brand polymer mags? Unless they're com-block stay away. Domestic manufacturers don't seem to understand that they aren't solid plastic. They have metal reinforcements within the plastic that support the stresses put on the magazine. Plain plastic ones like promag, tapco, etc. and ones with insufficient metla bracing like the current US Palm mags will break in short order under any kind of serious use.

Mike

I've shot both the sks and the ak and I prefer the ak. They are very similar, but I am drawn to the ak for some reason. I bought a WASR 10 for $500 and it came with 2 mags and bayonet plus a few extras. I love it and it shoots good and accepts tapco mags. I would highly recommended one.

Guest bkelm18
Thanks, but my point was more that I believe the problem is not as widespread as it is made out to be.

It has never been widespread but it is certainly something to look for when purchasing any AK. I've even heard of Arsenal AKs with canted sights.

Thanks, but my point was more that I believe the problem is not as widespread as it is made out to be.

The problem was with the older Century builds. I think they had monkeys with hammers on those things. Currently Century is subbing out their builds now and the quality is better.

As to the OP, a WASR is fine for what you are looking for. If you want a nice one get one of the Arsenals (using the Saiga now) or get a Saiga and convert it. Like Mike said, stick to com-block accesories for the AK especially mags and barrels. US manufactures just can't seem to get either right.

Like Mike said, stick to com-block accesories for the AK especially mags and barrels. US manufactures just can't seem to get either right.

I need some clarification on the com-block accesories comment above. If you're converting a Saiga, you're going to have to go with enough US parts to get it 922r compliant. Same would be for a WASR that started out 922r compliant out of the box. If you start swapping out parts for com-block then you're going to have to watch the parts count. Correct, or am I missing something?

s

I need some clarification on the com-block accesories comment above. If you're converting a Saiga, you're going to have to go with enough US parts to get it 922r compliant. Same would be for a WASR that started out 922r compliant out of the box. If you start swapping out parts for com-block then you're going to have to watch the parts count. Correct, or am I missing something?

s

according to the ATF 922r is for importers compliance. No one has ever been charged with a violation and the ATF has admitted that enforcement post import is impossible. The is no way to identify parts origins after it's in country.

That being said you are technically correct.

I know you're looking for the classic AK47's (ie - wood furniture, etc), but here's a pretty good alternative for the price as well.

AK47 Talk: Interesting new Romanian variant M10-762 (review)

https://www.cogunsales.com/index.php/vmchk/Modern-Firearms/WASR-10-AK-47-7.62x39-Rifle-Romanian/Detailed-product-flyer.html (specs)

I ordered one last week and can't wait for it to come in.

For mags, get the European steel surplus mags. Can be found really cheap at AIM Surplus. Stay away from American, Chinese, and Bulgarian (except the Circle 10 Waffle) mags and anything polymer (which fits in the above categories as well). The only non-plain jane looking AK mags that are better, are the top of the line Circle 10 Waffle, which also cost $75, so not worth it cuz you can just get 7 comm-bloc surplus mags for that price.

Surplus European Steel AK47 7.62x39 30rd Magazines