Best 30/30 for the money?

TN Outlaw

Both have serviceable sights. The newer Winchesters are angle eject, so you can mount a scope on them. The older ones were top eject, and werent really designed for a scope. You will see some with hideous side mount scopes. Pretty much all the Marlins I'm aware of are side eject and are drilled and tapped for a scope. Putting a scope on one of these, however, is to me like putting cattle racks on a Ferrari.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have seen a lot of 30-30s with the name glen-field and western-field made by marlin are those rifles any good? i appreciate everyone on TGO for answering and helping me on my threads as well

Back in the day, most manufacturers built models specifically for chain retail stores. Some stores even had their own brands. Glenfield, Western Field, Revelation, Ted Williams, most JC Higgins, etc.

Most of these were made by Winchester, Savage, Remington, Marlin, Mossberg, etc. It just really depends on the model. For the most part, there were only cosmetic differences between the store models and the real McCoy.

For instance, the Ted Williams Model 100 is the same as a Winchester Model 94. They varied a little over the years, but the Ted Williams usually have a black forearm cap and lower quality wood stocks.

i have seen a lot of 30-30s with the name glen-field and western-field made by marlin are those rifles any good? i appreciate everyone on TGO for answering and helping me on my threads as well

Think Chevrolet versus GMC truck. Same thing made on the same assembly line, just different trim. Yes, they are quality guns.

all the info you could want to know about Marlin 336 and Glenfield is avail at MarlinOwners.com. Check out the pawn shops they frequently have them. I would not pay more than $300 and preferably less. Special edition models are generally not worth anymore to anyone but the buyer. If you want the best accuracy and greatest range put a scope on it, or at least a peep sight.

Guest capt usa

My dad bought me a Marlin 336 when I was 12, still got the $125 price tag on the box. I put a 2x7 Tasco scope on it and it made a great brush gun. I tend to hunt more open areas now (growed up fields) and use a bolt action .06 so my dad has borrowed it for the past few years because it's lighter and is easier for him to carry and it's still taking deer. A truely priceless gun for several reasons, hope to give it to one of my sons one day (after I hunt with it again when I retire).