How many of you have ever taken a human life?

Guest gmachuta

Guest gmachuta

I wonder this by what i read from some of the "John Wayne and Annie Oakley" attitudes on this forum.

I can ask this question because I do know what it is like, it happened to me when I was in a different line of work. It's a feeling that stays with you. At times you wonder, "what could I have done differently?"

This is not meant to be disrespectful but the question is for you to take a minute and ask yourself "what would I really do?"

In no way am I saying that you do not have the right to protect yourself or your family, I'm for that 100%.

Edited by gmachuta
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Revelator

I haven't, and I don't know what I'd do in the aftermath if I ever did. How would I tell my wife? Would I be losing sleep 10 years later? I don't know. I'm sure everyone who carries thinks these things. But I don't brood on it. I just hope that if I ever do have to draw, I use my training and preparation and get out ok. I don't prepare for what happens after.

As the instructor said in my permit class, "Nobody wins in a gunfight."

Guest gmachuta

I haven't lost any sleep over it because it was justified but occasionally i do think about what could have been done differently like I posted earlier. There will always be a loser but you have to ask yourself if your ready to accept all consequences that may follow if you on the winning side.

I would like to assume that all permit carriers or anyone who own a firearm are ready to accept anything that may follow if your involved in a shooting.

Education is a key factor in owning a firearm...

If it is my life or my families vs. the BG's life I hope I would take his and preserve mine. But of course there is no way to know for sure unless such a situation came up. How I would react afterwards is even more impossible to say for sure.

Have to say I'm not really sure where you are trying to go with this. I do not think anyone on this board wants to take the life of another person. But in the right situation they have simply stated their intention to if it means protecting their life.

I do agree education is very important. ...and if one feels that they could not take the life of another, no matter what, firearm ownership is probably not for them.

There is no way I can even start to understand how you feel, so I won't pretend to. But simply because others have not been in the same situation does not mean they have a "John Wayne or Annie Oakley" attitude when they state that they would defend themselves.

An ironic thing is on another thread not too long ago, when people were saying they would take cover or leave the area if they could when shooting started. Some criticized them for not saying they would do more to stop the threat and save others.

So we have the complete spectrum of people here it would seem and to me that makes for good discussion as long as it stays that way, without personal attacks etc....

I am still pretty new at moderating and there have been very fews threads ever closed on this board that I know of, so I don't see the need to close this one as of now, but some of the others may take a look at it.

What exactly is a "John Wayne and Annie Oakley" attitudes?

It must be a compliment, since those were two fine folks.

I wonder this by what i read from some of the "John Wayne and Annie Oakley" attitudes on this forum.

I can ask this question because I do know what it is like, it happened to me when I was in a different line of work. It's a feeling that stays with you. At times you wonder, "what could I have done differently?"

This is not meant to be disrespectful but the question is for you to take a minute and ask yourself "what would I really do?"

In no way am I saying that you do not have the right to protect yourself or your family, I'm for that 100%.

You pose your question as if you assume that because we have a great deal of interest in preserving our own lives, that we have little regard for any one else's... that isn't true.

For myself, I will use whatever means necessary to prevent my life from being taken from me. If that means that another person forces me to choose between their life and my life, or the lives of my family... they will lose. It has nothing to do with how I feel about it... I hate the idea of killing somebody, but I hate the idea of dying even worse. That's why it is a last resort.

I have never taken a human life, up to this point... and I hope I never need to. But if I do, it will be because I needed to.

I think most anti's assumption is that we carry looking to take take life. In fact, it is the exact opposite. I carry to protect life.

I was recently asked if as a LEO I could take a life, my response, that's a choice someone else has to make. In other words the BG makes the decision to assault me or my family, I simply respond.

Conviction of character (as well as right and wrong) needs to be resolved before something happens and not after. In many counseling situations, I've discovered the folks who struggle with things had a lot of self doubt before they made the decisions they did.

My point, these are questions you need to wrestle with before you decide to carry, because once you make that decision, you have already decided you can and will take life if necessary.

I think most anti's assumption is that we carry looking to take take life. In fact, it is the exact opposite. I carry to protect life.

I was recently asked if as a LEO I could take a life, my response, that's a choice someone else has to make. In other words the BG makes the decision to assault me or my family, I simply respond.

Conviction of character (as well as right and wrong) needs to be resolved before something happens and not after. In many counseling situations, I've discovered the folks who struggle with things had a lot of self doubt before they made the decisions they did.

My point, these are questions you need to wrestle with before you decide to carry, because once you make that decision, you have already decided you can and will take life if necessary.

Well said.

Guest jackdog

some can... some cannot. Some have ...some have not. Frankly I don't see where it's yours or anyones business. I can't understand the motivation behind the question.

Just like telling everyone whether or not you carry.

It's nobodies business but mine.

I decided I would carry a weapon to protect my life and my families life and maybe JUST MAYBE even yours depending on the situation though I won't be rushing to save your life just because "I can."

I wrote the check to the US Gov't stating that I would give up my life for them. I didn't but that check also stated I would make someone else give up their life if necessary.

...Or telling anyone anything- nothing I do is anyone's business unless I violate you or your space somehow.

But this is a discussion board where we can freely ask others about their thoughts and experiences, and whoever cares to answer, answers. If you don't care to answer, don't.

I remember in Basic Training there were a few young braggarts who would go off now and then about how they were going to "kill lots of communists" or something. The drill sergeants would usually deal with those fellows harshly. To the drills, it was a matter of utmost seriousness, as most of them were combat arms/Viet Nam vets.

I think "have you taken a life" is a valid question for those of us on this board who daily carry killing equipment like firearms, but I think it could have been asked better, perhaps something like-

"Have you taken a life? If so, is there anything you have learned about yourself or about life from that experience that might help those of us who might face that situation?"

That's a question I'd really like to hear the answer to, but that might be a question best discussed among good friends late at night with some adult beverages and a lot of understanding.

Guest jcramin

I never have as of yet, but if I had to I would, and I would not loose any sleep over it, if it was something I had to do because it was them or me.

J

Guest gmachuta
If it is my life or my families vs. the BG's life I hope I would take his and preserve mine. But of course there is no way to know for sure unless such a situation came up. How I would react afterwards is even more impossible to say for sure.

Have to say I'm not really sure where you are trying to go with this. I do not think anyone on this board wants to take the life of another person. But in the right situation they have simply stated their intention to if it means protecting their life.

I do agree education is very important. ...and if one feels that they could not take the life of another, no matter what, firearm ownership is probably not for them.

There is no way I can even start to understand how you feel, so I won't pretend to. But simply because others have not been in the same situation does not mean they have a "John Wayne or Annie Oakley" attitude when they state that they would defend themselves.

An ironic thing is on another thread not too long ago, when people were saying they would take cover or leave the area if they could when shooting started. Some criticized them for not saying they would do more to stop the threat and save others.

So we have the complete spectrum of people here it would seem and to me that makes for good discussion as long as it stays that way, without personal attacks etc....

I am still pretty new at moderating and there have been very fews threads ever closed on this board that I know of, so I don't see the need to close this one as of now, but some of the others may take a look at it.

I can see that this has caught some attention. The point is with the "John Wayne and Annie Oakley" attitudes are this, some of you say you'd do this and do that. No one knows what will happen until it happens. It's about personal attacks but taking a minute to think about what you'd really do in you were put into that situation. I'm sure everyone would and will try to protect themselves in the best manner possible.

Maybe some of the comments have been taken too personal, it happens...

This may have been a tough thread to post but I was wondering what some would say. If it needs to be deleted because of the strong content then I'm ok with it.

I think the basic answer is that if you are not Military or Law Enforcement, it is likely that you have never been in a situation where the need to take another life has been there. And not being in the situation you don't know how YOU will react. We all can posture what we think we would do but greater men than I have frozen in fear in a difficult situation and small children that are afraid of bugs save lives because their mommy or daddy or brother or sister were being hurt.

Brawn is great but brains are better.