XDM 9mm or Smith & Wesson M&P

Guest whiskeymaker

Guest whiskeymaker

OK here is the run down. i am replacing the ole Beretta 92.

My local gunshop has a XDM 9 mm (od green) new in box $585

They also have a Smith & Wesson M&P with trijicon sight and a threaded barrel $609.

My question is which one would you buy and why.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't have any use for a threaded barrel, I'm a diehard M&P fan. I've owned XDs, though never an XDm. Both will serve you in any capacity you want. XDs are imported. M&Ps are made in the USA. I just personally prefer how the M&P feels in my hand over the XDs. I don't know if the XDms have different sized backstraps but that really sold me on the M&P. You can tailor it to your hand.

I agree. I have no use for a threaded barrel. Both are great guns and both companies are known for excellent costomer service. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Just depends which feels the best in your hand. I can tell you what I'd pick but I'm not you. You could aslways just go buy a 1911.

Guest whiskeymaker

xdm have different size backstraps too. and come standard with a match barrel.

I dont have a use for a threaded barrel either. but its on it. or i can save 50 bucks and buy the standard m&p from basspro. but for $50 it might be worth having.

you see the dilemma that im in??

I dont have a use for a threaded barrel either. but its on it. or i can save 50 bucks and buy the standard m&p from basspro. but for $50 it might be worth having.

you see the dilemma that im in??

No dilemma for me. :rolleyes: If you honestly think you'll plop down the time and money for a suppressor, the threaded barrel might be worth buying now. Personally, I'd head to Bass Pro and buy the standard M&P. Match Grade barrels don't tickle my fancy. The standard barrel will out-shoot all but the best of pistol shooters.

Edited by bkelm18
No dilemma for me. :rolleyes: If you honestly think you'll plop down the time and money for a suppressor, the threaded barrel might be worth buying now. Personally, I'd head to Bass Pro and buy the standard M&P. Match Grade barrels don't tickle my fancy. The standard barrel will out-shoot all but the best of pistol shooters.

Go buy a new one, it's probally cheaper. Saw a 40C in a pawn shop (if you could call it that, looked more like a gun store) in Cleveland Tn for right 5 bills new.

Go buy a new one, it's probally cheaper. Saw a 40C in a pawn shop (if you could call it that, looked more like a gun store) in Cleveland Tn for right 5 bills new.

Think you quoted the wrong person. He's looking for an M&P, not me. :rolleyes:

I would (and did) buy the M&P. I had a full size and a compact 40, sold them and then wanted them back so I bought two more.

Buds has the full size 9’s for $478.

No point in buying foreign when you can buy higher quality American made at the same price.

Guest eyebedam

I've had both. Honestly the M&P was 10 times the gun the xdm was, atleast for me. I took the xdm to the range once & had it up for sale before I got home, I just didnt like shooting it. The M&P was a blast to shoot & honestly I wais I still had it, but a 1911 was calling my name & I had to answer the call.

I've had three XD's and two M&P's. I like the ergos of the M&P's better. Add to that the M&P is all stainless and has a much lower bore axis and I think the M&P is a better overall gun. That being said I really like the XDm's a lot as well. Their capacity is a nice feature.

I prefer the trigger on the XD out of the box, but after break in or with an apex kit, the m&p trigger is by far better. The problem with the XD imo, is that it has such a high bore axis/profile for a striker fired gun. It is like they designed a hammer fired pistol, and then decided to just make it striker fired without getting designing the slide to fit closer down on the frame. That is why I have an m&p compact, great carry pistol. Also the backstraps and overall texture/feel of the m&p is 10x better than the XD (again, in my opinion). Both shoot equally well, both are good guns....I went with the m&p.

XD's are good shooters, dont get me wrong - but I rather have an assortment of m&p's before I would consider buying an XD.

I nearly bought a M&P back when I was getting my carry gun, mainly because of the feel and most people liked them. But since I'd shot XDs in the past, and liked them, I decided on going with that. Also, I heard something about failures at around 60k rounds for M&Ps? I can't remember where I heard it, or if it even has merit, but it's sticking to me...

I nearly bought a M&P back when I was getting my carry gun, mainly because of the feel and most people liked them. But since I'd shot XDs in the past, and liked them, I decided on going with that. Also, I heard something about failures at around 60k rounds for M&Ps? I can't remember where I heard it, or if it even has merit, but it's sticking to me...

If a gun can make it through 60,000 rounds before something breaking, that's a damn good gun in my book. S&W would no doubt fix it under warranty either way.