Help for .32 S&W long reloading

Guest chimpinator

Guest chimpinator

My grandpa has a .32 S&W long revolver. It was an old broken piece of crap till he took it to the gunsmith. The gunsmith got it all fixed up, but apparently it's an old cartridge that is hard to find. We plan to buy a box or two online then reload the rounds.

Since we only have a 30-06 and the .32 revolver we don't need to get a fancy loading press and a bunch of dyes. It would be easier and cheaper to get a couple lee loader kits. You know those kits that have all you need minus a hammer. Unfortunately Lee doesn't seem to have a loading kit for the .32. I was wondering if anyone else knew any online stores that had similar kits for such a caliber.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think only lee has the lee loader. I know its pricy for one caliber but if you want to shoot a lot of the round, you can buy a press (cheap or used) and set of dies for about $100 total. You dont need a $800 rig for this, just a few simple items.

You can also fire .32 S&W shorts through it. That ammo is probably easier to find. You find boxes for sale at gun shows and flea markets pretty often. The difference in power between .32 short and .32 long is pretty minor. Both are slightly less powerful than the .32 automatic.

.32 S&W short - 98gr @ 700fps = 115ft/lbs

.32 S&W long - 98gr @ 718fps = 117 ft/lbs

.32 automatic - 71gr @ 900fps = 128 ft/lbs

I am set up to load 32 S&W Long. You're welcome to come use it, but you're in Oregon?Otherwise you could get a set of Lee carbide 32 dies and one of those small $20 presses. They might not be great for full length rifle sizing but should be OK for the 32.
That is where I was going too -- dies are 30-40 and press + shipping and whatever still under $100. By the time you locate and purchase a few boxes of ammo, you could have made 1000 rounds or more on this and more than broke even.
Guest chimpinator
I think only lee has the lee loader. I know its pricy for one caliber but if you want to shoot a lot of the round, you can buy a press (cheap or used) and set of dies for about $100 total. You dont need a $800 rig for this, just a few simple items.
I've heard Lee is pretty good priced at about $30 and bring your own hammer. Where I won't be doing a lot of hand loading I need something cheap like that.
You can also fire .32 S&W shorts through it. That ammo is probably easier to find. You find boxes for sale at gun shows and flea markets pretty often. The difference in power between .32 short and .32 long is pretty minor. Both are slightly less powerful than the .32 automatic.

.32 S&W short - 98gr @ 700fps = 115ft/lbs

.32 S&W long - 98gr @ 718fps = 117 ft/lbs

.32 automatic - 71gr @ 900fps = 128 ft/lbs

I kinda kept a look out for the S&W short and couldn't find any in stores either. All the local stores have is .32 automatic which I don't think works in the revolver. I'll keep an extra eye out for the short just in case.
I am set up to load 32 S&W Long. You're welcome to come use it, but you're in Oregon?

Otherwise you could get a set of Lee carbide 32 dies and one of those small $20 presses. They might not be great for full length rifle sizing but should be OK for the 32.

Yeah. A long time ago TNGO branched out to USGO. I joined them then I heard the site tanked so I came here. If someone wants to help with gas money... :rolleyes: If I can't find a Lee loader type loading kit it looks like I will have to get the press and dies. That was more of a plan B but still an option.
That is where I was going too -- dies are 30-40 and press + shipping and whatever still under $100. By the time you locate and purchase a few boxes of ammo, you could have made 1000 rounds or more on this and more than broke even.
Of course to hand load it I need to get my hands on some brass which is why I am looking around for some boxes.

I would get a cheap single stage rather than the hammer type. I know you aren't going to be making a lot of ammo but it isn't about the amount, it is about the ease. It is much easier to load on a single stage than one of the kits you are looking for.

Here is a decent press for what you are wanting to do:

Lee BREECH LCK CHALLENGER

And at $45 it is a deal. It can prime the brass as well. I started out with this press and it worked great.

Here are the dies for $27:

Lee 3 DIE SET 32S&W LONG

And realistically that is about all you would need other than the primers, powder and bullets. Although I would seriously recommend a scale of some sort to double check what the scoop that comes with the dies throws.

And because the round is such a low pressure round the brass will last a lifetime. I suspect TrailBoss would be a perfect powder for this caliber.

[TABLE=width: 135]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE=width: 781]

[TR]

[TD]Bullet Weight (Gr.)

[/TD]

[TD]Manufacturer

[/TD]

[TD]Powder

[/TD]

[TD]Bullet Diam.

[/TD]