How many hunt deer with a .223?

broylz

If i read the regs right, i believe it is legal to hunt whitetails in TN with a .223. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

How many here hunt with a .223? If so, what bullets do you use? I do have a .308 bolt gun as well that I prefer to hunt with but I also believe all of my guns should have a purpose, so if only to give it a purpose, I'd like to hunt with it, even if only once to say i did.

The gun in question is a Stag AR-15 carbine with a 1:9" twist so id be limited to 69gr or less, at least thats as heavy as I've tested.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is legal to hunt deer in TN with a .223. I bought a .223 handi rifle for my daughter to use when she was much younger, but never could get it to shoot well. Winchester makes a 64 grain Power Point in their Super-X line that I planned to use. I have seen lots of pictures of kids with deer that were taken with their dad's AR. It makes a great platform to introduce kids to centerfire rounds.

In my opinion a .223 will work on close shots but, I would use a premium bullet or at least a 60 gr. or heavier expanding bullet. I killed 2 with mine using a 55 gr. Sierra handload. I shot behind the shoulder, through the ribs. Both deer ran about 35 yards. One bullet exited and left a exit hole about the size of a nickel and the other bullet didn't exit but tore up the lungs. Its not my first choice but, will work with the right shot. I only used it because my .308 was needing some work and I didn't have anything else at the time.

In my opinion a .223 will work on close shots but, I would use a premium bullet or at least a 60 gr. or heavier expanding bullet. I killed 2 with mine using a 55 gr. Sierra handload. I shot behind the shoulder, through the ribs. Both deer ran about 35 yards. One bullet exited and left a exit hole about the size of a nickel and the other bullet didn't exit but tore up the lungs. Its not my first choice but, will work with the right shot. I only used it because my .308 was needing some work and I didn't have anything else at the time.

When you say close, what range are you thinking of? My M4 has a 1/7 twist, so I can shoot a heavier grain bullet, but I'm not sure what distance would make it inappropriate.

Guest adamoxtwo
When you say close, what range are you thinking of? My M4 has a 1/7 twist, so I can shoot a heavier grain bullet, but I'm not sure what distance would make it inappropriate.

I would say what ever distance you can consistently hit a target at with your hunting ammo/setup is your max. So basically it depends on your load terrain, wind and so forth. Only you know how well you can shoot.

I used a 62gr Barnes TSX loaded by Cor-bon and sold as a DPX. It did the job just fine and I will be using the same ammo this year. I would use the 70gr TSX but I've got a 1/9" twist barrel. The TSX bullets are solid copper and therefore the 70gr bullet is longer than a similar weight bullet containing lead, requiring a higher twist rate to stabilize.

Where I'm hunting I don't expect to get a shot over 100 yards in the woods, possibly 200 if I happen to see one in the field.

Guest GunTroll

I'm not a fan of the Barnes on deer size game. It without a doubt is a great controlled expansion type bullet but TN deer don't need that. 223 is small in diameter and travels fast, add in thin skinned TN deer.... not the best combo IMO when using Barnes. A Good lead core bullet would be my pick. And like said...shot placement. All bullets can kill. I mean dead is dead :koolaid: .

I can't completely condone it but it appears folks are getting into fragmentable bullets for deer and larger sized game. Not just for varmints anymore. Berger list a hunting bullet that has these characteristics. V-max comes to mind as well. I mean who minds eating a little copper with your venison? My friends are taking base of the neck shots or high shoulder when using these type bullets.

I do not use 223 for deer FWIW.

I have several other choices, but a couple of years ago I bought a .223 bolt gun, for varmit hunting. One evening that deer season I was sitting in the barn and a young deer walked by at about 75, 80 yds. Shot it right behind the shoulder with a 62 grain copper jacketed hp, I think it went maybe 15 yds. The bullet didn't exit but was right inside the skin on the other side.

When did it become legal to gun hunt with smaller than a .24? I personally wouldn't use a .223 on a deer because I have a 12 gauge and a .308

I've got no problem with .223 on deer. I might use a .308 if I had one. I have a 30-30 but it is less accurate than my AR.