Serious hipoint question

Backon4

I always enjoyed beating the speed gun guys on the range with my stock Glock, but it would be more fun to beat them with a $100 Hi Point. Maybe I'll pick one up now... I might have a hard time finding a serpa holster for it though... whadaya think?

Guess the rules prevent drawing from Ghetto Gut Grab position, or that could be the ultimate snob smacker.

Shooting technique, of course, is already determined:

howtoshootahipoint.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Buying a holster that cost more than the gun, I can relate to. I found it somewhat difficult explaining to my wife why I put a $450 Surefire light and a $100 laser on my $300 .45 TS carbine. All I could say was that it had been a good gun and it deserved it. She just shook her head and left my man cave.

Honestly, I don't see buying a holster that costs more than a Hi Point for use with any gun. I guess that is why I wanted to learn to make my own.

To me, the purpose of a handgun is to throw a bullet with reasonable accuracy and reliability. Hi Points do that and so they fill the purpose. Beyond that, you are getting into 'features' and other aspects of the gun. I wouldn't want to carry a Hi Point just because I have guns that are easier to carry. Well, that and I don't particularly care for striker-fired guns as carry guns (just a personal preference - which is also why I won't be seen carrying a Glock.) I do own a Hi Point 9mm carbine and likely will have a C9 one of these days. I like the one that my mom has and think it would be pretty good as an 'extra insurance' gun - i.e. something to stash in an 'out of the way' location in an outbuilding, etc.

As far as being a 'beer snob', well, that is different. Most 'cheap' beer just plain doesn't taste very good. That is why (if you are looking for a buzz) you buy a six of the good stuff and a 12 pack of Budweiser, etc. - after drinking six good beers you won't taste that yellow, fizzy water anyhow. Of course, as with Hi Point, there can be exceptions. Yuengling is pretty cheap and pretty good - especially their Black and Tan.

Edited by JAB

I am a Beer Snob and I freely admit it! I don't drink lite beer. I prefer full beers and really love dark beer. I like Ales, Porters, Stouts and Guiness. My favorite currently is New Belgium 1554!

I am not a gun snob. I like things that go bang. Doesn't matter if it's $100 or $500. Actually now that I think about it, I am a gun snob, cause I won't spend more than 6 bills on a firearm. There's not one out there worth more than that, in my opinion. The things I need them to do cost less than this and I see no reason to pay more.

I've had one of those Hi-point Carbines that I sold. The reason I sold it was we needed the money. I'm not proud of that. It was a fun little carbine and I miss it. I'll have another one of them one of these days. I'll also pick up a Hi-point pistol one of these days. I've always wanted one to screw around with and their cheap enough to not break the bank.

Honestly, I don't see buying a holster that costs more than a Hi Point for use with any gun. I guess that is why I wanted to learn to make my own.

The good news is that there aren't many holsters that cost more than a Hi-Point.

The bad news is that there aren't many holsters FOR a Hi-Point. Some would call this "a clue." The bulk of the holsters for Hi-Points are crappy nylon or cordura like what's pictured in this thread. I don't foresee Comp-Tac, Bladetech, Raven, or KC whipping out kydex molds for these anytime soon either. It's not because they can't, and it's not because the pistol couldn't be concealed. I'll let you guys figure it out.

:puke:

go for it...they look like glocks

LMAO! Hi-Points are kinda ugly...like Glocks, but in a different sort of way. I like Hi-Points because you get a lot for the money. I have many other much higher quality, more expensive guns that are designed for longer life; are better handling, better looking, etc., but Hi-Points go bang as reliably as most other much more expensive guns. I wouldn't ever use one as CCW, but they are a good range gun (very accurate) and a good home defense gun.

I don't really care what my friends say. I told a friend at work(who's strictly 1911a1 shooter)that I was gonna get a Hi-Point .45 and he looked at me like I was gonna try meth. I told him American made, life time warranty and reliable. He still didn't like the whole idea. Now I mention it as often as I can, just to mess with him.

The good news is that there aren't many holsters that cost more than a Hi-Point.

The bad news is that there aren't many holsters FOR a Hi-Point. Some would call this "a clue." The bulk of the holsters for Hi-Points are crappy nylon or cordura like what's pictured in this thread. I don't foresee Comp-Tac, Bladetech, Raven, or KC whipping out kydex molds for these anytime soon either. It's not because they can't, and it's not because the pistol couldn't be concealed. I'll let you guys figure it out.

:)

My guess is that those companies don't make holsters for a Hi Point because people who would carry Hi Points are not their target market. Most people aren't going to pay Comp-Tac prices for a holster to carry a sub $200 gun. Heck, many people who would carry a Hi Point may not be able to afford $70 to $100 for a holster (which would explain why they are carrying a Hi Point to begin with.)

No biggie. The 'best' way to carry a Hi Point, IMO, would likely be in a leather belt slide holster. Those are easy to make and a very basic one could be put together by an enterprising person on a budget for $20 or so including leather, thread and needles. In a pinch, a small nail could be used as an awl.

A guy on another forum to which I belong had a pretty nice belt slide rig (with matching mag carriers) made for his Hi Point and it actually looks like it carries surprisingly well. As I said, though, I don't like the idea of carrying a striker fired gun of any make/model so I'd only carry a Hi Point (or a Glock or any other striker gun) as a last resort.

Edited by JAB
Guest Broomhead

I used to carry my C-9, when it was the only pistol I owned. If it were a necessity, a last resort, I wouldn't hesitate to carry it again. I picked up a Fobus paddle holster for it pretty early on, and it was the best holster I had ever found for it. I still have that holster...somewhere. It was only $14.99 plus S&H at the time. It fit well, has a very nice passive-resistance retention system, distributed the weight nicely, concealed well under an un-tucked polo or button-up shirt, and didn't make my pants sag. If anyone wants to try out the holster send me a PM.

For the time being, my C-9 is just a range gun, but it is accurate and fun to shoot. I have probably close to 10K rounds down the pipe and its still going as strong as the day I bought it. For the price that they can be had, even new C-9s were $125+ at the gun show this past weekend, get one, shoot the heck out of it, and decide for yourself if you like the gun or not. If you decide its not for you, then you can easily recoup 85-90% of what you paid.

;)

Well, I make custom leather holsters as a side business, and I am very confident in saying that the reason I don't make holsters to fit the Hi Point is not a statement about the quality of the pistol, but the reality that people who purchase a $100 pistol are very unlikely to pay nearly that much for a holster. People who are either that budget-conscious or low on funds simply aren't going to drop $50 or more for a holster. I'm basically ambivalent about Hi Point pistols, but my overall impression of them is that they are surprisingly decent pistols for the money. I wouldn't buy one myself, but if it's a truck/toolbox/boat gun, you can't go wrong with one.