Beware of hot ammo

Guest Big-A

I buy cheap ammo from time to time and have shot many 45 wolf and tula rds through my 21. Seen some 9mm tula at wally world 9 bucks a box so i bought 2. The very first rd in my 26 the case got stuck in the chamber. I did notice a louder report and seemed it bucked a lil harder. Didnt have the nerve to shoot the rest of em in my lil 26. Called a friend over with his CZ 75b started firing off slow and you could tell some of the rds were charged super hot. Beware of Tula i think i have learned my lesson on cheap russian ammo.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I happened to see a bunch of Tula ammo (in a variety of calibers) when I stopped in Wallyworld earlier this week. The price was attractive, but not knowing anything about that brand, I couldn't bring myself to purchase any.

I stayed with the Winchester white box. Thanks for the heads up, I definitely will avoid Tula for now.

I happened to see a bunch of Tula ammo (in a variety of calibers) when I stopped in Wallyworld earlier this week. The price was attractive, but not knowing anything about that brand, I couldn't bring myself to purchase any.

I stayed with the Winchester white box. Thanks for the heads up, I definitely will avoid Tula for now.

Like many on this forum I'm sure, I've shot beau coup Tula, mine all .223, with no probs.

Tula is one of the big two or three munition makers in Russia -- as far as I know, that's where all the steel cased Wolf is still produced.

Can be a bad batch from any maker, but I wonder how much of this particular report is just subjective rather than empirical. Truly dangerous runs of hot loadings are discovered very quickly in the shooting world, and reported/recalled; don't think I've seen any regarding Tula.

A stuck case doesn't necessarily equal a hot load. It's not all that uncommon, especially with stell cased ammo. I've had a couple of steel cases stick in my Ruger Mini 14 also. Heck, I've had Blazer aluminum in really tight in my .355 SP101, too, had to hit ejector rod on table top to break it out.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

pretty sure tula and wolf work together, but not 100% sure. Both have been around for a long time and have done well selling ammo to the USA. The worst thing I have seen from them (apart from the hard cases which can work over your mag lips and extractors) is they spark a bit out the barrel and some of these brands have bimetal jacket (copper over steel) which sparks downrange and makes some range officers upset. A few reports of getting like 1 .40 in a box of 9mm or other mixups. Have not heard of any kabooms.

pretty sure tula and wolf work together, but not 100% sure.

Wolf doesn't actually manufacture any ammunition. They're just an importer. They contract with several different Russian manufacturers (Tula and Bernaul being the major two) to make the ammo, then it is imported under the Wolf name.

Guest TresOsos

If you really want good quality plinking ammo, start reloading. It pays for itself over and over and you get to control the quality, powder and charged used etc. It's fun and you learn a lot too.

If you really want good quality plinking ammo, start reloading. It pays for itself over and over and you get to control the quality, powder and charged used etc. It's fun and you learn a lot too.

+1

Sweat equity plus full control over the power of the loads. Just remember that with all the rewards you also get all the responsibility.

i plan on reloading 45 and after i get the hang of it maybe 243 . Thought about a Lee cheap single stage and later a Rock chucker. Maybe i will find a used chucker at a great deal when i save up to get a reloader.

i plan on reloading 45 and after i get the hang of it maybe 243 . Thought about a Lee cheap single stage and later a Rock chucker. Maybe i will find a used chucker at a great deal when i save up to get a reloader.

Lee often has refurbished presses on the cheap. If you can afford it try to avoid the aluminum framed ones though. 45 is really easy and a great one to learn on. You can save at least 50% off every box of ammo by reloading, saving up works but a buy now, save forever strategy works as well. Even a more expensive press pays for itself rapidly if you shoot a lot.

Yeah, The Tulla is subpar. When I buy cheap ammo, I'm expecting a non-brass case, maybe thinner jacket but I do expect it to actually work! I had in a box of 50 about 4 or 5 fail. In that, I pulled the trigged, the strker released and the bullet did not fire. That is just not acceptable. Pay they extra couple of bucks and get the Winchester. I did get a good deal on Monarch ammo at Academy at 10.50 a box for brass fro 50 9mm.

Yeah, The Tulla is subpar. ....

Only Tula I've shot is .223, but I've shot a good bit of it, never a dud. Seems as consistently loaded as the more expensive Federal brass 100 packs at Wally's. Matter of fact, hits higher at 120 yards than the Federal.

I've also shot the Monarch .223 from Academy, always goes bang. It's lacquer coated so that's a no-go for some ARs, but my Mini14 doesn't mind at all.

- OS

Guest rebeldrummer

i have shot my fair share of tula....9mm, .40, .223...no problems so far for me??

dirty for sure, but whats an extra patch or two through the barrel???

i will stick with it for now...

regardless of that, thanks for the heads up....