Need Help With Camping Equipment

Guest Victor9er

Guest Victor9er

This seemed like the best place to ask about this....

So, my son recently joined the Cub Scouts and we have a camping trip coming up next month that I'll be attending along with him. Now, I was never a Scout and have never actually been camping so this will be a new adventure for me as well as him. :D

My question is, what are some decent brands that I should be looking at for tents and sleeping bags? Anything you guys would suggest? It'll just be for two nights, but they said the campground is pretty primitive.

Also, is there anything else I should bring besides the basics:

tent

sleeping bags

flashlights/lantern

ice chest w/food & drinks

bug spray

card/board game

backpack w/extra clothes

I'll have my pocket knife with me, even though they said we shouldn't need one I'll keep it on me anyway. Am I missing anything? Anyone else that's done this before have any advice?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelty, MSR, North Face, Sierra Designs, and Mountain Hardwear are my go-to brands for anything outdoors. They're quality, but expect to pay for it. If this is just a one time thing, you can get by with a Coleman or a Eureka from Walmart. They're decent for the price, but wouldn't hold up for extended uses. Don't forget toiletries.

Guest lostpass

I went through this last year. Not knowing much about camping I asked here and got good advice.

I do know a bit about scout camping though. Forget the board game, those kids are running constantly. Definitely bring a knife. They say you won't need one but you will. The kids will catch bugs in a bottle or something and want air holes in the lid. You also won't get your own campfire (it will be crowded) so bring a camp stove if you've got one.

I am a wimp so this year I bought an air mattress,last year I did the sleeping pad thing under the sleeping bag and it just wasn't that comfortable. But I'm old and stuff. Bring more drinks than you think you need and more food. Those kids are going at it, if they usually eat one hot dog they'll three and they'll have friends who need dogs as well.

Aslo be prepared to spend little time actually parenting and a lot of time letting the kids run free/participating in activities. You'll have fun, I promise.

Guest lostpass
CHAIR.. one of the most important things you can bring is a comfy campfire chair. Also those jumbo marshmellows are a big hit.

Oh yeah, those foldable chairs are awesome. Esp the ones with the cup holders.

I don't worry about the marshmallow thing much, the pack usually takes cares of that. Crap, with cub scouts it is hard to find a fire that isn't ted for smores. Those kids will smorify that retired guy trying to light a cig with a cheap bic lighter.

If you are registered as an adult leader, go to ScoutDirect and set up an account. You will qualify for a 45% discount on all Alps Mountaineering equipment. I have one of their 4-man tents, 0 degree bags, and some other equipment. Top quality gear and you will pay a lot less. They also sell salesman samples from time to time for even greater savings. Our troop equipment coordinator replaced all the cheap K-mart tents we had with Alps gear.

Oh, and do go to Academy or some other sporting goods store and get a COT. Best $20 I ever spent in all my years of scouting. When you go camping in the pouring rain, and your tent floods, you will be glad you are up off the ground.

Pay attention to what some of the others in the pack are using. I picked up tons of information just observing.

But, just like holsters and such, you will learn through experience what works and what doesn't. The best piece of advice I can offer is to buy quality every time, and you can find tons of deals online.

Edited by DaddyO

I am an Eagle Scout, and I went all the way through with a dome tent from Wal-Mart. I am not saying the other brands are not worth it, I just mean to say that you don't have to spend that much money if you do not want. Mine served me just fine until a few years ago, and one of the fiberglass poles finally split. It cost less than $40, so I think I got my money out it with over ten years of use.

I do believe in spending more on a bag if you plan to do much winter camping. I have a 0 degree bag from Slumberjack that has never let me down. I have been in single digits and stayed nice and toasting. The keys to bags are knowing how to take care of them and knowing how to use them. Spend a little time looking into that once you get a nice bag.

My backpack is also not very expensive, and I don't remember the brand. I think Kelty. Either way, it is an external polymer frame. It is fairly light and has spent many miles on my back. I would recomend an external frame in this area when a lot of backpacking is done in the summer. The external frame will help with air circulation between the pack and your back. However, this is probably a few years down the road if you are in Cubs now.

Another thing you did not mention is clothing material. More important than the brand is that you understand what material is used to make the clothes. Cotton is generally not your friend when camping. It will not wick moisture in the summer, and it will not keep you warm when wet in the winter. Poly blends are good.

Whatever you do, just don't fall into the trap of going and buying a ton of stuff if you are not completely sure your son is going to stick with it for a while. Good luck it all, and I hope he does well with it. Don't forget the toilet paper :D

Guest Victor9er

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!! :up:

Lots of good info, I appreciate it. I'll start looking into everything now that I have some info to work with. You guys are awesome.

:D

If you don't have experience camping, look for ease of setup with your tent, as well as what others have said.

Don't miss the basics, waterproof matches, spare batteries, dish soap, ziplock bags along with items others have mentioned. If they say you won't need it, ignore them and "be prepared".

One of my memories of scout camp was how crappy the food at Davy Crockett was!

On our first trip, Pops brought a box of nabs along and it kept a few of us from starving...Be sure to bring lots of extra snacks.

I'm going on the first trip with my cub scout this weekend. I plan on packing heavy since you can drive to the camp site. The more comfortable he is the more likely he will stick with it. I'm taking a box of junk food, a platoon sized first aid kit, and plenty of bug dope.

Campmor is a great website for getting deals on gear. Especially if you don't mind an ugly color.

I'll try to throw up a post Monday on what I took vs what was actually used.

So I just finished packing for Friday...temps are going to reach down to 38 degrees but the highs are going to 67 according to the weather bug. I realize this is way more stuff than we would need for a month in the woods, but I figure if there's room in the truck bring it....

Here's the list for both of us:

-Class A uniform

-2x Class B uniform

-His scout book

-Spiral notebook and pencils

-Headlamp & Flashlight

-Fleece Cap and gloves

-Pocket knife/multitool

-bug dope

-2 x drawers

-2 x short pants

-1 x long pants

-long underwear

- 2x socks

-rain gear

-packed our warm weather and cold weather sleeping bags just in case

-thermarest pads

-2 man tent

-toothpaste, toothbrush, deo, soap/shampoo

-first aid kit

-towels 2x bath 2x hand towels

-light jackets

-water bottles

-msr water filter

-couple packs of hot hands just in case

-fishing gear plus 4 dozen night crawlers

-small camera

-para cord 100ft

-compass

-fire steel, matches, and lighter

-boots and tennis shoes

-msr superfly stove with butane 2x

-propane lantern (they wont allow liquid) with propane 1x

-trail mix

-some mountain house entrees

-granola bars

-bagged ready to eat chicken

-uncle bens rice meals

-case of water

-case of soft drinks

-cooler

-individual lemonade packets

-some fruit

-beef jerky

-hatchet

-camp saw

-cook set

-mess kit and utensils

-trashbags

-ziplocks

-dish soap

-sponge

-bag chairs

-batteries

-jump box

-kitchen sink

-and a partridge in a pear tree...

Kelty, MSR, North Face, Sierra Designs, and Mountain Hardwear are my go-to brands for anything outdoors. They're quality, but expect to pay for it. If this is just a one time thing, you can get by with a Coleman or a Eureka from Walmart. They're decent for the price, but wouldn't hold up for extended uses. Don't forget toiletries.

I've got to second the suggested brands above. I really like the Kelty products I've used. Also Columbia products tend to be a good middle ground. Definitely higher quality that Coleman etc... but usually less expensive than North Face & Mountain Hardwear etc... My Columbia tent, for example is great for car camping, it's huge and probably just as durable as my Kelty tent. It is heavier and lacks a few features, but definitely solid.

So I just finished packing for Friday...temps are going to reach down to 38 degrees but the highs are going to 67 according to the weather bug. I realize this is way more stuff than we would need for a month in the woods, but I figure if there's room in the truck bring it....

I'd trade the packaged entrees and rice meals for hot dogs and smores. No bacon and eggs for breakfast? Assuming you'll have a campfire, can't go camping w/o smores...

No liquid fuel? Any reason for that? All my stuff is old and runs on Coleman fuel.

I'd trade the packaged entrees and rice meals for hot dogs and smores. No bacon and eggs for breakfast? Assuming you'll have a campfire, can't go camping w/o smores...

No liquid fuel? Any reason for that? All my stuff is old and runs on Coleman fuel.

Guess they are scared of fires? No good reason for it they just don't allow it. Thought that was weird too.

I've got pancakes for breakfast, and the pack leader is supposed to be bringing the dogs.

You're right though better pick up some smores...may keep them scouts from turning to cannibalism lol.

It's been said, but it bears repeating....TRUST me.

Don't forget the important papers! One roll AIN'T gonna do it either. The day you only carry one roll.....well. Pack two and take it on faith. If you don't use it, oh well.

And be sure and run some string through the tube so you can hang it around your neck for hands-free (well, almost) operation!

It's been said, but it bears repeating....TRUST me.

Don't forget the important papers! One roll AIN'T gonna do it either. The day you only carry one roll.....well. Pack two and take it on faith. If you don't use it, oh well.

Good advice. I would also store it in a gallon size ziploc bag. Wet paper is the same as no paper.

And be sure and run some string through the tube so you can hang it around your neck for hands-free (well, almost) operation!

I learn something new every time I visit this website. :D

Guest Victor9er

OK, so the TP is important, I got it LOL. I'll probably just buy a four pack just for the trip and bring it in a sealed bag or something, that way I'll have a little extra in case someone else is in... um, desperate need. :D

Again thanks so much for all of the great advice, this has been a huge help!

Maybe this goes without saying, but don't forget some sort of ground cloth to go under your tent. I just use one of the small cheap tarps from Wally's. This helps to keep the bottom of your tent dry and gives an extra layer of material between you and the ground. Maybe not required for all tents but definitely helps.

I'm 46 years old and have been camping all my like (first time was around three months old). I have been through a lot of tents in my years, but I currently am using a reasonably inexpensive Coleman dome tent, and I think it is as good as any other high dollar tent I've owned. It's not light or super compact, but for car camping it is great. It's a few years old and has held up well. I've weathered a lot of storms and it has kept me nice and dry. I would recommend it to anyone.

Kelty has some Target (the store) only tents...based on reviews they aren't as high quality as the "normal" Kelty but they are way above the normal department store tent. I got a 4 person Kelty tent for $59. The only difference in quality is it weighs a little more as the poles aren't as light as the higher end Kelty...other than that, same tent.

I'm 46 years old and have been camping all my like (first time was around three months old). I have been through a lot of tents in my years, but I currently am using a reasonably inexpensive Coleman dome tent, and I think it is as good as any other high dollar tent I've owned. It's not light or super compact, but for car camping it is great. It's a few years old and has held up well. I've weathered a lot of storms and it has kept me nice and dry. I would recommend it to anyone.

I had a coleman tent before my Kelty (see previous post). It was fantastic until my friend got drunk and pissed all in it.