Looking at either a FNX-45 or a S&W M&P 45 opinions on either

I would go with the FN. I bought one when they first came out a few years ago and I love it. I have shot every kind of ammo I can find through it and it has fed everything. I haven't cleaned it in over 850 rounds. I'm not going to clean it until it starts messing up. I just got in some night sights for it and I'm going to stick those on tomorrow. Other than that it is a factory stock gun.

The FN is a big gun no doubt. But the grip isnt as big as the Glock 20/21. I have little girl hands and the Glock is too big for my hands, but the FN fits fine. I am looking to buy another one in the not so distant future.

I have the FNP-45 USG. I like it, but I kinda like this newer one maybe a bit better...due to the fiber optic sights and the removable plate that gives you the option to add an optic: FNP-45 Competition, DA/SA, Matte Black Stainless

I have the FNP-45 USG. I like it, but I kinda like this newer one maybe a bit better...due to the fiber optic sights and the removable plate that gives you the option to add an optic: FNP-45 Competition, DA/SA, Matte Black Stainless

I shot my buddies FN45 Tactical that had a red dot mounted on it. It was neat to play with at the range but I dont think I would ever put one on my FN even if the slide was cut for it. I do like the fiber optic front sight though.

Id like to have something with a safety...........

They make a single action only version with a manual safety, if you weren't aware. Might be able to trade straight up for one for someone that wants a da/sa version.

P220 SAO

Unless there is another reason you just don't like the p220 - I personally love the 220. Every 220 I have shot has been a tack driver.

I've shot the M&P 45 at the range, and I currently own an FNX, but the 9mm version. I have handles the FNP-45 though.

I don't think you mentioned if you were right or left-handed, but myself being a left-hander, I found the full ambi controls of the FNP-45 to be fantastic. I also have a great track record with my person FNX.

The M&P was a good shooter, it was actually the first .45 I've ever shot. My hand fit it better than the FNP-45, but that is the only benefit I would give to the M&P over the FNP-45.

Since you said this would be for home defense and size doesn't matter, I would have to suggest the FNP-45. More rounds in the magazine, great ergos (in my opinion, even for my small hand), and a good shooter.

They make a single action only version with a manual safety, if you weren't aware. Might be able to trade straight up for one for someone that wants a da/sa version.

P220 SAO

Unless there is another reason you just don't like the p220 - I personally love the 220. Every 220 I have shot has been a tack driver.

$1000+ is more than what Id like to pay, need to do some price checking.....thanks for the link.

I have 2 comments:

- You don't state the purpose of the gun, but, as mentioned, the FN is HUGE. Not a great choice for concealed carry unless you like wearing an unzipped winter coat year-round. And if you're small, you may have limp-wristing issues when you shoot it a lot.

- I'm unsure of FN's warranty, but I can personally attest to the fact that S&W's lifetime warranty and customer support are both awesome. That alone makes me tend to prefer S&W guns when I have a choice- just knowing that, no matter what happens, they will pay for shipping the gun back, no questions asked, sort it out, and send it back to you running like new, all in the space of a few weeks.

• 2 years later...

There is no such thing as an fnx45. Brief history lesson - FN developed the fn line of pistols (fnp9/357/40). They then developed the FNP-45 which although still labeled FNP, was pretty much a completely different gun. The new FNX line is based off the changed they made from the fnp9/357/40s to the fnp 45. In a nutshell, the FNX line is an fnp45 but for 9mm and 40s&w.

hammer fired vs striker fired
14+1 rounds w/ optional extended baseplates vs 10+1 rounds
3 mags included vs 2 mags included? (tbh I am not 100% certain how many mags come with the s&w)

If you are just comparing basic models, I would probably go with the m&p, but I do have a fancy for the fnp45 tactical. The tactical comes with extended mags, a pretty cool canvas pistol case/range bag that is modular so you can customize it, threaded barrel, and raised nights sights (so that they see over the supressor you mount). It also comes with a pre-tapped slide for mounting a red dot.

Figure out your intended use and that will help you pick out which gun to get. Both are good shooters, but the FNP45 is a BIG gun.

I think you're wrong here. If you go to the FN website they clearly offer an FNX45

I've owned two FNP-45s, one with safety and decocker and the other decock only. Both were very accurate (the most accurate factory polymer frame pistols I have ever fired), have excellent triggers, soft recoil. Better shooters than the M&P 45 in any regard, BUT, they are huge and holsters are hard to find... which is why I now have a Glock 21SF instead.

Both are great guns and were proven in the military test. The only real difference is that the FNP-45 is a HUGE gun. The M&P45 is realatively small feeling for a full size gun. It has a very similar feel to the M&P9/40, which was surprising.

Bingo. I still have a Smith 45, and had the FNX for a while. Great gun in all aspects, but it is rather large. Unless you have huge hands, well bigger than mine anyway, it is somewhat cumbersome, and less easily carried and concealed, for me, than the M&P.