Buying in Bulk...?

Guest Burgan

Guest Burgan

Anyone know some good 9mm brands that are cost effiecent if I buy in bulk?

Bulk purchases in 500 or 1000 rounds is what I'm looking at. Brass cases and either FMJ or FMC.

I hope to later start reloading everything I shoot, but for the time being I figured I'd buy in bulk and save all my cases that I can at the range.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also am interested in this thread. I usually buy Federal Champion from wal-mart at $10.97 a box before taxes...it's hard to beat that price online once you factor in shipping, etc. And there's always the thing about buying in person vs. anything digital.

I've run the numbers for reloading and assuming you recycle the brass every time, you can reload 9mm for about $.10 - $.14 per round (up to $.17 buying once fired brass every time). That depends on the type of bullets you use, with jacketed obviously being more expensive than lead.

With that being said, reloading is a lot of work - call it sweat equity. Therefore it may be worth the $.17 per round from USAAmmo or $.20 Federal from Walmart to not bother.

• 1 month later...

Yeah I figured some of you would say to not bother with reloading. Currently, I don't reload, but I've collected every bit of brass I've shot since I started looking for a handgun and every round since I bought my CZ. I just figured while right now ammo is not too terrible on price even though it's on the rise, I at least buy nice enough brass ammo to reload down the road.

not sure how you beat Walmart, even with tax added on. Considering you are going to have shipping costs from ordering off the interweb.

I picked up 200 rounds today, 22.97 for 100 rounds of WWB, and 10.97 each for two 50 round boxes of Federal. 49.36 OTD, just under a quarter a round

I've run the numbers for reloading and assuming you recycle the brass every time, you can reload 9mm for about $.10 - $.14 per round (up to $.17 buying once fired brass every time). That depends on the type of bullets you use, with jacketed obviously being more expensive than lead.

With that being said, reloading is a lot of work - call it sweat equity. Therefore it may be worth the $.17 per round from USAAmmo or $.20 Federal from Walmart to not bother.

Yikes! Either you need to shop around more or I need to be more appreciative of my sources. I'm doing it for roughly 6 or 7 cents each right now.

Yeah I figured some of you would say to not bother with reloading. Currently, I don't reload, but I've collected every bit of brass I've shot since I started looking for a handgun and every round since I bought my CZ. I just figured while right now ammo is not too terrible on price even though it's on the rise, I at least buy nice enough brass ammo to reload down the road.

If you decide to give up on the idea of loading them yourself, I'd be happy to take the once fired brass off your hands;)

I just ran my numbers for loading 124gr L swc. I have scrounged about 10k rounds of range brass so I don't have any brass cost. Using my bullet cost from last years prices and my cost for Bullseye it's running about .08 a round.

I agree it's some work, but what else have I got to do when it's raining, snowing, or 15 degrees. As for buying 9mm. It's still hard to beat WW.

I do love that Federal Champion. Shoots great in my FNX and cheaper than what I can find online. Wish I could snag some in 124gr to see how that does though.

I was in the Wal Mart on Thompson Lane\Old Fort 2 weeks ago and they actually had rounds other than the 115 grn, FMJs. I said something about it and another customer standing there said that WM was going to start carrying a lot of different self-defense loads (and he said that hopefully they will be selling handguns by next year). I dont know anything about it but there WERE things rather than the FMJs.

My two favorite 9mm loads are the S&B 124gr FMJ and the Aguila 124gr FMJ. Both are reasonably hot and hit about 1200fps from a CZ75. The brass is very high quality and I buy whichever one is cheaper. Shipping is usually about $15/case, which sure beats TN state sales tax plus the $.10/box state ammo tax ($2.00/case).

AIM has the Aguila at $190/case

Aguila 9mm 124grn FMJ 50rd box

Guest Lester Weevils

I've been too busy/lazy to reload much this last year, but components are not so scarce right now. Been shooting maybe 1 or 2 times a month, go thru a couple hundred .22 MiniMag, about $12 or $14 per range trip. And go thru 100 sometimes up to 200 Wallyworld Federal 115gr jhp 9mm, probably at least $22 per range trip, up to $44 per range trip. Cheaper than running a Bass boat or golfing, but still kinda spensive for an afternoon's entertainment.

I have a few thousand .22 rounds in bricks of 500 cheap bulk .22 ammo. Ought to shoot that as its cheaper than the mini-mag, but the mini-mag just shoots so trouble-free compared to the cheap .22.

Was looking on MidwayUSA putting together an order yesterday and today. I have lots of 9mm brass, about 15 pounds of powder that will work in 9mm, and several thousand primers. Because that is previous sunk cost sitting on the shelf, reloading cost going forward would mostly be cost of the bullets until I run out of primers and powder. Still have about 800 rds 124gr XTP JHP reloaded pretty hot, but that is "too nice" for target practice and have been more prone to shoot wally world ammo and keep the XTP reloads for a rainy day.

I used to reload a bunch of Ranier plated bullets till they became unobtanium. Midway has em in stock right now, bought at high volume cost about $8.40 per hundred Rainier 124gr plated round nose. About 38 percent the cost of wally world Federal 115 gr 9mm. Midway is selling Rem 124gr JHP at $208 per 2000, $10.40 per hundred. That is still just 47 percent the price of wally world Federal for actually real nice bullets. The Rainier plated round nose works as good or better than wally world federal FMJ, and the Rem 124gr JHP would be lots better than wally world federal FMJ. Shooting 9mm reloads would not be much more spensive than the MiniMag habit.

One reason I haven't reloaded much lately, is that the reloading bench is in the shop, which I've been neglecting lately. I don't have a fence around the front and the dogs can't follow me out to the shop, and they get tremendously upset if I leave the house. Working at home, I so rarely leave the house it gets em all agitated when I step out the front door once or twice a week.

I clean brass in the basement. Would rather keep actual reloading out in the shop. If something went way wrong, would rather burn down the shop than the house.

Ordered a Lee hand press and universal decapping die so I can decap and brass prep watching TV in the living room. Ordered an RCBS universal hand primer so I can prime watcing TV in the living room. Ought to be able to quickly load lots of rounds out in the shop if all I do on the press is size, powder and bullet seating/crimp. Takes me "too long" to load the dillon primer tubes, and the SDB press primes fine most of the time but I take too much time making sure to get the primers seated good. Maybe I'll reload more if more of it can be done in the living room.

USAAmmo is great, but it was better. They had their stuff in once-fired cases for $169. That is no more. Now it's brand new stuff for $199 per 1k. Still decent, but I liked saving $30 because that stuff cycled just fine. I've shot over half of my original case and when I went to reorder I discoved that everything once-fired has been removed from their site.

If it was a fair bit cheaper that way, I wouldn't mind adding a couple thousand rounds (of 9mm) to a group buy. Something like $8 per box would be awesome! I suppose it's a lot of work to get it organized but I wonder how low the prices could get on 10 or 20k?