Numbers crunching on some real training.

One basic tactical handgun training class:$200

800 rounds of 9mm Walmart ammo: $216

2 extra G-19 mags: $45

2 days vacation: $375

Knee and elbow pads: $20

Stuff I don't know to buy yet $100

Total=$946

Holy :rofl: ! Somebody talk me out of this! What's the use of walking around armed if you don't have the training?

This $1000 for Defensive Handgun Training is very high. I live on a tight budget. Do I drop the grand or just hope I never need a handgun?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you've received proper training you can then train yourself based on what you learned. At some point formal training should be the goal of anyone carrying for the purpose of self defense. The price looks worth it; just make sure that the trainers/tactics are legit. Do some research on the instructors if you can. It's always good to have an instructor that has fought against more than paper targets all his life. I've seen some pretty hokey stuff before from so-called experts.

The training is well worth the time and money you put into it. You should also vet the instructor & the training that they teach,, & not just over the internet, talk to the instructor & ask for references. my personal opinion is that combat experience does not always equal a good teacher.

You also want to make sure that the training that you are getting is relevant to YOU! high speed low drag super sniper courses will do you no good if the training will not help you survive an encounter at the quick mart while you are carrying a concealed pistol.

I've taken several classes with randy harris (through suarez international) & Ronnie dodd, here in Chattanooga. I've recently taken my NRA pistol instructor and RSO with Mike Crow at Austin's TN firearms (in Oak Ridge, TN). I Highly reccommend them as I have taken classes with them & have found them to be excellent instructors.

As for the cost of taking a class. I tend to save my money for class fee's, expenses & ammo over a period of time. If I don't have the money or ammo already in the house, I don't go to the class. I usually tend to swap days at work, that way I'm not loosing any time or money by taking off for a class.

I will warn you, that taking classes can be addictive. That's where all my spare money goes to :popcorn:. But in the long run it all benefits you & your skill set to survive an armed encounter with thugs. I hope this helps. feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I was worth it to me. I went to Shootrite (Tiger Magee, Alabama) for 2 days. Helped me to realize how much I didn't know. I was going to buy another gun and my wife said I should learn to shoot the ones I had better. Plan on taking another class in the near future. I'm like goomba, save as I go. By the way, Where are you going?

Once you've received proper training you can then train yourself based on what you learned. At some point formal training should be the goal of anyone carrying for the purpose of self defense. The price looks worth it; just make sure that the trainers/tactics are legit. Do some research on the instructors if you can. It's always good to have an instructor that has fought against more than paper targets all his life. I've seen some pretty hokey stuff before from so-called experts.

+1

There are trainers out there that have nothing more than a bunch of classes under their belt. They have found a way to market themselves into a job. Although having a bunch of clases is not bad there are other factors that cannot come out during training. Winning a fight requires a certain mindset and those who have not actually been in a conflict only have the mindset they think they have. Training can help nurture the fighting mindset but it will be more than just training that determines your actual mindset. And you want to learn from someone who has a proven fighting mindset. Training is as much about learning skills as it is getting the correct mindset to win a fight.

There is no way to tell what your mindset will really be until you are faced with a conflict but training can help minimize a negative reaction to conflict. Training can help with the "freeze" or "deer in headlights" that most get when confronted with their very first conflict. And over time dealing with conflict and overcoming fears becomes easier. Almost like becoming desensitized to what is happening.

I have known people who swore up and down they had experience as well as the fighting mindset. Some of those people literally curled up in a ball, eyes closed, crying when a conflict arose while others remained as calm as sitting, watching television in their home. It is the quiet professionals who tend to remain calm while those who brag tend to get excited. Most LE as well as most MIL have been in conflicts that most others will not have to endure. That is why I would do as TMF 18B said and research the instructors. You want someone teaching you who has been in conflict and is still here, not some guy who had to endure all his training.

Dolomite

I've shot all my life, but until I took formal training, just did not realize what I didn't know. Definitely get the training. You owe it to yourself if you have made the decision to carry. From what I have researched Suarez is a quality program. I have been to Front Sight and can recommend it as well, especially if you pick up the $100 certificate for their 4 Day course. Point is, quality training will have some costs, but I bet you will definitely enjoy it and will be glad you did. But as mentioned, be careful, it is addicting.

The training is well worth the time and money you put into it. You should also vet the instructor & the training that they teach,, & not just over the internet, talk to the instructor & ask for references. my personal opinion is that combat experience does not always equal a good teacher.

You also want to make sure that the training that you are getting is relevant to YOU!

Definitely concur with this statement. Training is well worth it, especially if you are a good student and take the time to take notes for later review. I take numerous notes during training courses as the information is sometimes somewhat akin to drinking from a firehose, but with notes I can go back and review what was taught at a later date and time.

One very important thing to consider is this: "You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to your level of training." (someone else's line)

That brings us to the next point, who are you training with. It has already been said to vet the instructor and their training. There are numerous AARs floating around the web (some with great details concerning the actual training) and you can get a good feel for the instructor and training before going. Also if you can contact someone who has trained with your potential instructor then all the much better. With the plethora of instructors out there choosing the right one can be a daunting task at first, but that brings us to the next point.

What are your training goals? To be a better IPSC/IDPA shooter, bulls-eye competitor, concealed carry holder, self defense, door-kicker, etc. What are you personally looking for. While I love me some AR action since leaving the military I have only taken pistol courses. I just don't walk around with an AR on a daily basis but tend to carry a pistol. I am not at all against training AR and it is a blast but I made a conscious effort to up my pistol abilities and to focus on what I felt were my weaknesses in the concealed carry arena but this is just me this may not be your goal or work for you.

Finally like everyone else I am on a budget but try to squirrel away cash as I can in order to train. I specifically pick a course 6-9 months out in order to save. I try to keep the course within a few hours driving distance and live frugally while training (i am there to train not go out with the boys at night). I look at a weekend course as my own getaway that allows me to focus on only me and training and once I return back to my daily routine I find myself very refreshed, recharged and motivated.

Training is definitely the way to go but make sure it is the right training for you. Save up and remember if you aren't enjoying the training then you probably aren't going to get much out of it in the long run.

Good luck.

Defensive Concepts North Carolina - Class Registration Here is the website of the training I am thinking of taking. I have no references yet but Chris at Defensive Concepts has asked for my training resume to see where I need to start. I am going to get training probably this winter after the first of the year. I will bring my Glock 19 is I ever get the RSA from them.

This course will be on weekends so I won't have to take vacation. It's $50 cheaper and they only require 500 rounds of ammo instead of 800. I also will not need to buy two extra magazines. Now I'm looking at a $500 budget. Heck, I could take my 45acp!

Edited by Will Carry
One basic tactical handgun training class:$200

800 rounds of 9mm Walmart ammo: $216

2 extra G-19 mags: $45

2 days vacation: $375

Knee and elbow pads: $20

Stuff I don't know to buy yet $100

Total=$946

Being better trained to protect yourself and your loved ones, priceless.

I also will not need to buy two extra magazines.

While you might not need them extra magazines = less time reloading = more time taking notes or asking the instructor questions. Do yourself a favor and if you do attend take the time to take copious notes as you will thank yourself later.

I'd go ahead and pick up some extra mags anyway. you never know when one may go bad, and if one does, you already have a replacement. I have some KCI mags for my glock, they are strictly range/training mags. the good glock ones are for daily/defensive use.

• 1 month later...

I recently finished the Advanced Hand Gun Fighting course with Suarez International. Earlier this year I took 2 Defensive Handgun Courses at Front Sight. Each was a fantastic experience and certainly enhanced my skill level. If you have the chance, I would highly recommend either, but Randy Harris with Suarez is a super instructor (as well as an excellent marksman). He has classes within driving distance of most of us. Is it expensive?? Relative term; how much is your life or that of your family worth? Or the liability of a stray shot from poor bullet placement? The saying goes that when the SHTF, your skill abilities drop by 50%..........are you twice as good as you need to be now??

Guest vthokies03
It's $50 cheaper and they only require 500 rounds of ammo instead of 800. I also will not need to buy two extra magazines. Now I'm looking at a $500 budget. Heck, I could take my 45acp!

I wouldn't make my decisions on these. Cheaper is not always better, look at instructors and course itself. Yes 300 rounds is alot, but it is a shooting class.

if you only take 3 mags, fill each mag to 15 rounds, you would have to reload each mag 11.11 times. That is alot of time. by having at least 5 mags, you would load each mag 6.67 times.

shoot what you carry, not what is cheapest.

I did it! Signed up for Defensive Handgun Training from these guys Defensive Concepts North Carolina - Firearm training and the defensive use of the handgun, rifle and shotgun. . I may not have signed up if not for you guys, thanks. Now I have to pick a handgun to carry. Revolvers are out but my choices are:

Glock 19

CZ-75 SP-01

XDm-40 4.5"

Colt 1911

XD-45

I am leaning toward the Glock 19 but all of these pistols shoot great.

The prices do not have to be that bad, either. Cut your ammo price in half by reloading it, even if that means using someone else's setup for a day to make the ammo, or buy from a certified reloader/vendor. 1000 hardcast bullets is about $60, picked up brass, $30 in primers, $20 in powder... that 1000 rounds is now only $120 or so. Those magazines can be found used or offbrand at a gunshow or online, for a fraction of that price --- or get a different glock mag, they are interchangable so you should be able to find a deal. Can't help you on the vacation, do you not get any paid leave at all in a year? Gas might be your $100 if you travel to the place to do the training. Anyway, work around the system and save some of the costs and save up beforehand, put away 20 here and 50 there until you have enough.

The class is less expensive than I had originally expected. These guys are way out in the sticks (Mayberry) and charge less than the Raleigh (big city) area boys. I also will not have to take a vacation day. $175 for the class. $150 in ammo (no reloads) and a few gallons of gas. They highly recommend knee pads and elbow pads so maybe I will buy some... It looks like this class will cost less the $400.

• 4 months later...

The class is less expensive than I had originally expected. These guys are way out in the sticks (Mayberry) and charge less than the Raleigh (big city) area boys. I also will not have to take a vacation day. $175 for the class. $150 in ammo (no reloads) and a few gallons of gas. They highly recommend knee pads and elbow pads so maybe I will buy some... It looks like this class will cost less the $400.

What did you think of the class?