I cheated on my J-Frame...

Guest Todd@CIS

Guest Todd@CIS

...but I want her back.

For years my off-duty/back-up/always gun has been a 642 in a front pocket.

A while back I began to lust after another pocket gun...the Kahr PM9.

IMO, when you balance size and power, the 442/642 and the PM9 are the best pocket guns out there. Again IMO, calibers .380 and below are not sufficient for defense unless you have a physical limitation/handicap.

Anyhoo, I bought a PM9 and kydex pocket holster and, after function checking it, pressed it into service.

Well, on "paper" the PM9 should be better for me...

-flatter

-better terminal ballistics

-more rounds

-better sights

-smoother trigger

...but, I'm going back to the 642.

Mainly because of weapon shape. With the J-Frame, the grip is more accessable in the pocket and the shape lends itself to drawing from a pocket better than the PM9. The PM9's shape (rear of the slide) seemed to catch/bump the top of my pocket just enough to put the worry of a fumbled draw in my mind.

Additionally, I'd have to say that the edge in reliability has to go to the J-Frame. After an initial trip back to Kahr for some warranty work, the PM9 has been 100% reliable, but with a small auto there is a possibility of limpwristing (think firing while wounded). Not with a J-Frame.

So...I'm back to "5 for sure." :taunt:

Edited by Todd@CIS
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Todd. Come back to the Dark Side. All is forgiven.....

Why a wheel gun beats a semi:

-Rounder curves

-Built for speed vs built for comfort

-Change back straps and it feels like someone totally different in your hand

-The phrase "forcing cone" just sounds dirtier than "feed ramp"

-Long and slow trigger that gets harder at the end

-Action job vs throat job

-You can boast you've got a 10" tube.

Well I'm glad you're back home and made it safe!:up:

I'm still waiting until I can get a 642 or similar. Right now the smallest I have is that K frame mod 64 you saw. I've lost a couple pounds and now I can fit it in an IWB in about half of the pants I own. The 64 prints really bad in front pocket carry mode.

Man, has there ever been a more concealable, more reliable and more comfortable pocket gun than a J-frame? I swear, I don't think I'll ever go to another carry gun. Unless I get fat and can hide a full size 1911. The only thing that sucks is that I have to move it somewhere else other than my front pocket if I'm on a date. I'd hate for her to shoot the wrong gun!

Guest db99wj

I don't see it. My Rossi "J frame like"...doesn't seem to fit well with in my front pocket. I have an uncle mike's holster that sucks too.

How can I make this into a good carry gun. It has the thin, small wood grips on it. What are my holster options, carry options (front pocket, IWB) What type of grips are you guys using? Any pics?

Does your Rossi have a 7 shot cylinder? If so, that's going to make the gun much larger than a 5-shot J-frame. Otherwise, I'm not sure of the difference.

Personally, I find even J-frames a bit bulky for a pocket gun, having tried that avenue... a flat auto is easier to carry, and higher capacity. The biggest advantage the J-frame might have is reliability, since small autos can be finicky.

It seems like the Rossi models have huge grips on them, pointy front sights, and exposed hammers. The barrel might be a little longer, too. What model is yours? Here's one that popped up on Google images.

Compare this:

rossi2035102pl2.jpg

with this:

ct2ou0.jpg

Also J-frame is an actual Smith and Wesson designation for their compact revolvers.. so a Rossi snubby wouldn't technically be considered a J-frame.

I don't use a pocket holster. They get in the way.

Guest db99wj
Does your Rossi have a 7 shot cylinder? If so, that's going to make the gun much larger than a 5-shot J-frame. Otherwise, I'm not sure of the difference.

Personally, I find even J-frames a bit bulky for a pocket gun, having tried that avenue... a flat auto is easier to carry, and higher capacity. The biggest advantage the J-frame might have is reliability, since small autos can be finicky.

It is a 5 shot. I used the "" marks to say that it is similiar in design, mine is an early 90's model,

Very similiar to this one, in almost new condition, minues the evidence tag :wave:

7kj-901.jpg

Edited by db99wj
Guest nj.piney

i use a s&w j- frame , the don hume jit holster hides it well and the ladysmith grips give it a better grip but doesnt increase the size too much.

I have often wondered if there is any huge difference between

the Smith "J-Frames" and Taurus' .38 snubs. I have owned a Taurus

Mod 35 (I think) 5 shot hammerless years ago and have regretted selling it

many times.

Not trying to start anything, but what is the difference between the two

to justify the higher cost of the Smiths? Besides name... is tehre a huge

difference in quality, or trigger pull?

I understand that Taurus machines them from old machines that were once

owned by Smith & Wesson. Is that also true?

(Not trying to hijack a thread guys, thought this fit since it is comparing them

to J-Frames and all. :))

Smiths are made by American craftsmen. Taurus is made by Brazilian peasants.

There are actually design differences. The Taurus uses a plunger and spring for its cylinder stop, loaded up through the yoke tube. The Taurus cant be worked on as much. And customer service with Taurus stinks.

Guest gcrookston

I would have never gotten involved with J frames had it not been for convincing arguments the Rabbi made. On my last visit to his store I mentioned how I'd carried a P230 for about a decade and had thought about picking up another at some point...

As I didn't see one in his case, I assumed this was a harmless comment.

DSC00065.jpg

Edited by gcrookston
Guest gcrookston

I now know better than to mention buying something I don't see displayed at the Rabbi's. There's a machashafeh hiding in his back room, handing him just the perfect pieces tempt unwitting patrons.

I now know better than to mention buying something I don't see displayed at the Rabbi's. There's a machashafeh hiding in his back room, handing him just the perfect pieces tempt unwitting patrons.

No, the machashafeh is usually at work but gets home before I do.:rolleyes:

Hi guys! First time post.:P I also have to admit that I love

snubbies!

I've had a little snub for a while and I don't think you can beat'em! Mines from that other true American maker, the one that starts with a "C". It's a little blue Colt Agent with old school Tyler "T" finger grip and it's one of the best shooting little revolvers I've ever had the pleasure to fire! It especially likes 158gr. nyclads. Fits nice in the pocket of jacket.

In the past I've had several others including a S&W 36 and a bodyguard, two SP101s in both .38 and .357 (their a bit on the heavy side though for pocket carry, but I love the grips. I've had the Rossi mbl 88 and I've also had a Sig P230. I hated that gun. Two clips at the range and my hand hurt and it was .380! Go figure and I shoot a .45 Springfield regularily! But this little Colt is my favorite.:eek: Just a super little gun!

Well I will have to chime in with some J-Frame love as I finally got to fire my 638 today at the range. When I purchased this jewel from the Rabbi I was torn between it and the Bersa CC .380 I am glad he convinced me to go with the Smith. It fits both my gloveboxes without having to take out all my junk and with the Nemisis holster makes the same imprint in my pocket as my wallet (full of receipts...not money...Rabbi has that). I have practiced carrying it around my co-workers the last couple of days and no one has noticed it tucked in my pocket (but they shouldnt be looking down there anyways). Since im not lugging in my Beretta 92FS they might actually think my gun addiction has subsided ;-D

Todd, I think J frames are used to their owners "straying" only to come back when the find that the grass IS NOT greener on the other side. All is well.

What kind of pocket holster do you carry ? I have the DeSantis Nemesis for my 642 and it's "okay" but I'd get something else if I found an improvement.

Guest Todd@CIS

BigPoppa and others who have asked about pocket holsters.

I use and recommend www.aholster.com ...the "Pocket."

I'm not affiliated in any way and I've never met Mr. Miller...he is just a fellow Tennessean who puts out a great product at a very reasonable price.

This is the best pocket holster I've used. One problem I've run into with kydex pocket holsters is that many makers make the fit way too tight...Miller's fitting has been perfect so far.

When I order a "Pocket" I do make one change...I ask him to extend the front tab a bit (as shown in his 4th pic) to insure that it catches the inside of the pants pocket on the draw.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest GregRN

I just bought my first J-frame yesterday (Smith 442). As it was raining yesterday, I was only able to put 5 rounds through it. Already, I love it. I was away from home last night, and the 442 replaced my G26 for the night. More comfortable to carry. Now I just have to worry about my wife taking it away for herself. But, that would just be an excuse to buy another.

I noticed while I was at the local gun shop, that the Taurus snub is a bit larger than the Smith. The price difference is not that much either.