Nighthawk custom Prices then and now

willis68

Yesterday after I got done field stripping and cleaning my Nighthawk custom, I decided to look at their website, all I can say is that I am very lucky. I special ordered mine over 2 years ago a commander GRP 2 with some serious custom options with several ED Brown parts including the bobtail, the absolute perfect carry gun for me to every last detail, mine was built by Ron Phillips and at the time I paid $2720.00 shipped for it. I still do and will always love this gun, While this was and is still a buttload of money for a pistol, a standard GRP today costs more than $2700.00 shipped

I called them today and got a quote for an identical pistol as mine, the total cost would today be $3643.00 shipped. They could not guarantee that Ron would build my gun but said that they would try, Who says that firearms are not a good investment?

While I will never sell this pistol I was shocked to see how much the prices went up, it made me feel better about the money I spent on mine ;)

Edited by willis68
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad I purchased several of my pistols in prior years. At todays prices, I wouldn't be able to do it again. My wife probably doesn't agree that my safe full of guns is a good investment. :D

They're only a potential investment of you're willing to sell them, so...

Guest TresOsos

Willis 68, a lot of people would say your not to bright to buy that expensive a 1911, it's not worth it and I'd never do anything like that.

Sounds to me you've done well, I don't mind buying high end 1911s, shooting them and enjoying them. Even used they are retaining there value better than the dollar. I sure get more enjoyment and value out of them than what the equivalent cash would be drawing in interest setting in a savings account. Lifes to short to spend shooting cheap ugly guns. What amazes me is that there is such a strong market out there for high end 1911's , Baer, Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk, Gun Crafters etc can't build them fast enough.

Not so much with Nighthawk, as they have always been a bit pricey compares to other, but some other builders they started out as a custom shop with reasonable prices. As they gained a following their prices began to climb. There are some deals on custom quality guns now. The Spartan by STI being one of them. I for one am glad to see the resurgence of 1911 in the market. It drives down prices as well as leads to more innovation, even with the 1911.

Dolomite

Honestly I have to say I love this pistol and it will be with me until I die, if I have my wishes it will be buried with me LOL, having said that the prices have became out of hand and while many may think someone is irresponsible or perhaps insane spending the kind of money that I did on this pistol I feel that I got a good deal as it was built exactly how I wanted it to be,

I was just shocked to learn that in a little more than 2 years the price of the exact same custom pistol from them was nearly 1k more. I showed the price to my wife and while she knows Nothing about guns, she did see that I would have spent nearly a grand more had I ordered it today.

While I would never recommend a commander length Les Baer pistol, (they are not a true commander length) if I did not already own one and wanted the best Government model 1911 on the market for under 2K I would buy another Les Baer TRS to the best of my knowledge they are still under 2k, but sadly I imagine those prices will rise as well

Guest TresOsos
While I would never recommend a commander length Les Baer pistol, (they are not a true commander length) if I did not already own one and wanted the best Government model 1911 on the market for under 2K I would buy another Les Baer TRS to the best of my knowledge they are still under 2k, but sadly I imagine those prices will rise as well

Fortunately Baer has been able to hold the line on his pricing at least so far he has. This may have more to do with him having more control over his supply chain that others. Depending on who you buy from you can still get a TRS or UTC (same pistol minus TRS Logo) for under 2K easy.

IMHO dollar for dollar Baer makes the best bang for the buck in semi-customs. I don't undestand why someone would spend $1300 and up on a Springfield or Kimber and not just go ahead and bite the bullet and take it to the next level and get a Baer.

I enjoy both of my Nighthawks. My T3 tends to be my predominant carry gun. My Talon FLX in 9mm is my favorite 1911/2011. I look foward to seeing how the SA Professional holds up. Steve, have you got your Pro yet? It has been 13 months, and mine still hasn't come in.

Edited by mav
can't type on my phone worth a s***

Eric,

I cancelled the order when I was told that it would take nearly 24 months, 2 years and got my deposit back. My dealer was promised 6 of them and has yet to receive them to say the least he is not very happy with the Springfield Pro Shop now and says that he will never order from them again.

I am not sure what the delay is but I got tired of waiting and really need another 1911 like I need a hole in my head anyway so I will just remain happy with the ones that I currently own.

Edited by willis68
Eric,

I cancelled the order when I was told that it would take nearly 24 months, 2 years and got my deposit back. My dealer was promised 6 of them and has yet to receive them to say the least he is not very happy with the Springfield Pro Shop now and says that he will never order from them again.

I am not sure what the delay is but I got tired of waiting and really need another 1911 like I need a hole in my head anyway so I will just remain happy with the ones that I currently own.

Wow, two years? Now I know why you hardly ever see any for sale. When I ordered mine in Sept 2010, I was told 8-15 months. I was hoping on it being early, so I went ahead and placed the order. I spoke to my dealer today and asked him to give them a call on Monday and find out what the status is. If they say another year, I will cancel my order and buy something else. While I don't need another high-end 1911, I have been looking at a Wilson Spec-Ops 9 for quite some time. I love my Nighthawk Talon FLX, which is built on an STI 2011 frame, and I would love to try out the Spec-Ops 9.

Eric,

Hang in there, if your dealer can get it you in a month or two it will be well worth your wait. Originally I was expecting mine in eight months, after that I was told it may be 16 more so yes two years. I hope for your sake that you do get yours soon as I am sure you will like it much more than the Wilson

i have one an uselton 1911 i actually have 2 i like them alot. have had wilsons and 2 les baers still have one of them an early one when he used colt frames . even have one built by jeff waley spelled his name wrong sorry . i realy like my useltons and have ordered one in 10 mm cant wait for it to be finished .if you have never shot one go to his etore rent one and shoot it if you have never shot one you will be in for a surprise