Knoxville area rifle range questions.

wewoapsiak

Hi guys. Before I get thoroughly reamed for not searching prior to posting; just want to go ahead and say that I've been searching for about 3 hours now and had a ton answered, but still have a few questions.

Long story short, Uncle Sam's Yacht Club doesn't really teach you about firearms unless they need to, and now I would like to learn how to shoot a rifle. Yes I plan on taking the NRA basic rifle course, but an army buddy of mine has offered to help me learn on an AR-15 with a RDS. Now I have to find a range in the area. Here is some of what I've gained from searching and my questions.

John Seveir Range: From what I understand is populated full of people who don't take too kindly to noobs / newbs / nubs / etc. Also I'm not a fan of having to pay another club just to shoot at your range.

ORSA: Good range from what I hear, just another one of the I have to join another club to be able to pay to join their range. Takes a while to join because they only review applications once a month.

Norris: The cheaply priced not so secret range any more. Closed for hunting in the end of November, closed on Thursday mornings from 7-9.

So I'm basically looking heavily at Norris and some at ORSA. I'd like to go on the weekends, but since both of us are students we'd go on the weekdays some as well. I've never been to an outdoor range, and I don't think he's ever been to a public range.

Questions

1. If I wanted to go say next Saturday and just look around, observe how things work, and not shoot; would I still l have to pay? Since Norris doesn't have a RSO, I'd especially like to watch and see how the protocol.

2. I get nothing when I google for the Norris range, where is in in Norris?

3. Me and my buddy are not complete idiots, but would one range be better for our application?

4. I've read about the ranges having benches, but if I'm going to learn shooting while standing up and prone do the ranges allow this?

5. What do you attach your targets to at these ranges? Am I supposed to bring my own target stand?

6. Now that the weather is starting to turn, are ranges less busy on the weekends?

7. I probably have a million more, but can't think of them right now.

Any and all comments are welcome since I know very little on what is going on. Thanks in advance.

Edited by wewoapsiak
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Concerning the John Sevier TWRA range, it's not as bad as you think it is. No need to join the club there on the premises. RSOs can be intruding/annoying (depending on who the RSO is). Simply tell them to leave you be. My girlfriend shoots there with me and some RSOs think she needs to be taught everything because she's a girl. We tell them to leave us alone and they do. Only real downside to JS range is it's 100 yards. $5.50 for two hours isn't bad. I've gone a little over the time limit before and they didn't charge me extra. It's close to where I live. I like it. You should try it out. It is all bench rest, so no prone or standing. I think that's a fair trade for the shooting I do.

Norris:

- Technically, you are supposed to have membership to even be there, according to the PD. Realistically, folks show up with non-shooting friends family, never seen any hassles. Then again, I've never been there when a cop has been there either, except a couple of times on Thurs. mornings when they spruce up the range. Also realistically though, you can' get in the gate without a key, although most of the time if you show at same time anyone else does, they assume you are a member and leave gate open for you to enter and relock. Same prob with getting out, though.

range:

- 25 yard pistol side, generally up to four folks can fire at once, assuming everyone is doing it from same distance

- rifle side: 200 yards. Plywood stands at 50, 100 (actually 122.5), and 200 yards. You staple or tape your own flat targets to them. You can bring your own stands. We also set out spinners, plastic bottles, tin cans, clays, steel plates, etc. Just clean everything up you've set out. 7? covered benches, but yes, you can shoot standing up, you can also shoot at each end of the benches.

- protocol: when someone wants to go downrange, everybody agrees to go cold. Generally if a number of folks there, several will go down range at once. Yes, it's a good idea to look behind and make sure nobody is fooling with a gun while you're downrange. To my knowledge nobody has ever been shot there in its history, but may have happened in the distant past.

- range is about 2 miles on right out Upper Clear Creek Road, which is maybe 2.5 miles from downtown Norris/PD. Once you have key, you don't need to go through town anymore, direct was is Andersonville Hwy (61) to Lambdin Rd (left in metro Andersonville :))to Upper Clear Creek. Range is just about 30 miles from downtown Knoxville.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&q=upper+clear+creek+road,+norris,+tn&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x885c444672179493:0x223e075d2fe762dc,Upper+Clear+Creek+Rd,+Norris,+TN+37705&gl=us&ei=8F2sTuTZMYGJtwflzcj4Dg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CCIQ8gEwAA

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

the big knock on Sevier, well other than intrusive RSO's is you must be seated to shoot. No other option and it is 100 yard max.

I am not afraid to say the place flat out sucks.

Norris is your best option. You can shoot prone, standing, sitting on your ass on the ground, off a bench. It is a great atmosphere for shooting. Keep in mind it is always colder up there than in town.

I have only been to ORSA for a service rifle clinic and that place seems really nice, but too far and pricey for me.

the big knock on Sevier, well other than intrusive RSO's is you must be seated to shoot. No other option and it is 100 yard max....

Another drawback is that minimum distance is 15 yards, so not a great place to practice close in pistol drills (not that they'll let you draw and shoot either, even seated).

Also, don't talk loudly while others are shooting!

- OS

I am fond of Norris. I have taken folks up there on many occasions, but we always stop and get a $20 day pass. I have had a membership there for a couple of years now.

It is normally empty when I go (Sundays,) and there is never a lack of things to shoot at. My personal favorite is to set up on the far right, shoot at the 50yd with pistols and rifles, but I spend most of my time plinking at the empty shot shells (free targets) with my .22LR from about 10-15yd.

My personal favorite is to set up on the far right, shoot at the 50yd with pistols and rifles, but I spend most of my time plinking at the empty shot shells (free targets) with my .22LR from about 10-15yd.

Uh, that's my bench and I plan to be at it tomorrow. :)

Uh, that's my bench and I plan to be at it tomorrow. :)

Of all the times I have been up there, I have yet to meet any of the regulars from the site.

I have met a lot of friendly folks, a couple of not so friendly folks, and a gaggle of teenagers being stupid, but I have yet to meet any regular posters.

Sadly I have to work tomorrow, or I would go up.

IMO, Norris is the best kept secret in East Tennessee for people looking to shoot. I miss it tremendously

Yup. The TWRA range up at the North Cumberland WMA (exit 141) isn't too bad either. No RSOs, but people generally behave.

Yup. The TWRA range up at the North Cumberland WMA (exit 141) isn't too bad either. No RSOs, but people generally behave.

There is also another pistol range in La Follette near Powell Valley Marina. I hear it's a club you have to join but it might be worth looking into.

Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate it. Looks like I'm going to try and work my way up to Norris next Saturday and take a look around see how things work.

...get a $20 day pass...

So it's $40 for a year, but is the $20 day pass Murgatroy is talking about for a group or per person?

Me and Garufa and Dolomite up at Norris today.

Rifle range stations all stayed pretty much occupied, but enough movement that nobody had to wait over 15 min to get one. Plus more than one can use a position if you're among friends. :)

Much enjoyed your Saiga shottie, Dol!

Another feller showed up with one toward the end of our stay with a drum on it, too.

- OS

Dang I should have drove up there today instead of waiting till next weekend. So do you wait for someone to finish shooting for the day or do you rotate out when you're reloading your mags?

Usually just commandeer a table and stay with it. Since I can go on weekdays, I go on weekends as much for socializing with folks as the shooting, sometimes I'll free my table and shoot off and on on a compatriot's location if it's crowded -- although I probably popped off 250 rounds of .223, 9mm, and .22LR today and 25 or so through Dolomite's street sweeper. :)

PM me if you want to hook up next weekend, you can ride with me, assuming some of us go. I'll run ya by the PD and get ya oriented. No reason to do just a one day "test" for half of what it would cost ya to join through June. Hell, you'll go a few times at least, pretty much guarantee it.

edit: If I go next weekend, probably Sunday again, will probably go to gun show on Sat.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot