When you say "J" Frame

Guest mtsusean

Guest mtsusean

38 models to choose from. Does that sound right???

I have a 686 which I bought just because I always wanted one.

Out of all those choices in a J frame though, what's are the "picks?"

That's a lot of offering...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 442/642 enclosed hammer models have quite a devoted following.

Probably because they are the cheapest. Smith has been discounting them for some time now.

You basically have the following choices:

1) Style

a) Chiefs Special. The original config, with exposed hammer. Named because it was introd at the chiefs convention in 1954 or so.

:tinfoil: Bodyguard. Shrouded hammer, can still be cocked.

c) Centennial. No external hammer. Named because it was intro'd at the company's centennial.

2) Material.

a) Blued steel. The original. A 2-digit designation, i.e. Model 36

:D Stainless steel. Designated with a 6 at the beginning, e.g. 640

c) Airweight.

d) Scandium

3) Caliber

a) .38 spc.

:rofl: .357mag

c) .22LR and WMR. Occasionally you'll see one in .32 H&R mag and they are great guns.

There was a freak of a snub based on an L frame chambered in .44spc that are deservedly rare.

SO the different model designations are just combos of all of the above factors.

Guest mtsusean
Probably because they are the cheapest. Smith has been discounting them for some time now.

You basically have the following choices:

1) Style

a) Chiefs Special. The original config, with exposed hammer. Named because it was introd at the chiefs convention in 1954 or so.

:tinfoil: Bodyguard. Shrouded hammer, can still be cocked.

c) Centennial. No external hammer. Named because it was intro'd at the company's centennial.

2) Material.

a) Blued steel. The original. A 2-digit designation, i.e. Model 36

:D Stainless steel. Designated with a 6 at the beginning, e.g. 640

c) Airweight.

d) Scandium

3) Caliber

a) .38 spc.

:rofl: .357mag

c) .22LR and WMR. Occasionally you'll see one in .32 H&R mag and they are great guns.

There was a freak of a snub based on an L frame chambered in .44spc that are deservedly rare.

SO the different model designations are just combos of all of the above factors.

What are Bill's Friday afternoon specials?

Guest ETS_Inc

By the way, the 686 is an L-frame, not a J-frame. The various J-frame guns are:

Model 36 Chiefs Special

Model 37

Model 38

Model 40

Model 42

Model 43

Model 49

Model 60

Model 63

Model 340PD

Centennial - standard and "Airweight" (Models 40, 42, 442, 640, 642) also available in 9mm as the Model 940

Model 649

Model 650

Model 651

Ladysmith

Guest eyebedam
I like mine carbon steel... that limits me to basically 3 choices...

DSC00045.jpg

Centennial, Bodyguard, Chiefs Special

Nice collection you have there.

Guest gcrookston
Nice collection you have there.

Thanks. The body guard has ended up being the only one I carry. I'll replace the centennial reissue with a vintage one -- as soon as I can find one.

I have owned several J frames. My model 36 is the gun I have kept the longest; 30 years. At some point I will pick up another model 60. I prefer steel or stainless for the weight and controllability. They are an excellent choice for maximum concealment and exceptional quality while maintaining a decent caliber.

I have seen other revolvers referred to as “J-framesâ€.....Smith & Wesson are the only J-Frames.

I have seen other revolvers referred to as “J-framesâ€.....Smith & Wesson are the only J-Frames.

Technically yes. The "J-frame" designation is a Smith product. But since Taurus is or started as a total ripoff of Smith I think it is fair to call them "J frame" or J frame size" guns as well. The Colt Dick and its clones are a D frame I think.

Guest gcrookston

It was kind of the other way around. The Colt detective Special came along in the 1920's, about 10-15 years before S&W's entry with the Chiefs. S&W built upon the then ladysmith to piggy back on the popularity Colt had established with it's small framed snub nosed .38. The Ladysmith, being a smaller frame originally designed for 6 shots of .32 only allowed S&W to get 5 rounds of .38 in the cylinder, as apposed to Colt's 6 rounds. The Colt is perhaps the better gun, but as most vintage Colts, they suffer from a design flaw that causes them to become out of time rather prematurely. The only pre war Colt wheel gun that was actually superior to any S&W was the New Service, the largest revolver frame Colt has ever produced. Had they had the foresight to continue with this design, instead of ending it in the 1930's, S&W's story might have been quite different.

Guest ETS_Inc
Technically yes. The "J-frame" designation is a Smith product. But since Taurus is or started as a total ripoff of Smith I think it is fair to call them "J frame" or J frame size" guns as well. The Colt Dick and its clones are a D frame I think.

The Taurus lines didn't start off as a total ripoff of the Smith revolvers. They were actually licensed copies.

It was kind of the other way around. The Colt detective Special came along in the 1920's, about 10-15 years before S&W's entry with the Chiefs. S&W built upon the then ladysmith to piggy back on the popularity Colt had established with it's small framed snub nosed .38. The Ladysmith, being a smaller frame originally designed for 6 shots of .32 only allowed S&W to get 5 rounds of .38 in the cylinder, as apposed to Colt's 6 rounds. The Colt is perhaps the better gun, but as most vintage Colts, they suffer from a design flaw that causes them to become out of time rather prematurely. The only pre war Colt wheel gun that was actually superior to any S&W was the New Service, the largest revolver frame Colt has ever produced. Had they had the foresight to continue with this design, instead of ending it in the 1930's, S&W's story might have been quite different.

It was more like 30 years between the Colt Dick/Agent/Cobra etc and the Chiefs. Smith did produce a "Terrier" in .32S&W long prior to the Chiefs.

THe biggest issue with the Colts was/is the cost to manufacture. Each gun has to be hand fitted. In the days when you could pay a tech $10 a week to do that the guns made sense. When labor became expensive the advantage ceased. THe last time they produced the Python it was over $900 while the comparable Smith 686 was probably $550. While the Python is arguably a better gun (and I would argue the point) it sure isnt twice as good.