Door to door searches underway in D.C.

Guest GLOCKGUY

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy freakin cow. Are these the same hypocrites critisizing China for human rights abuses? The DC flag should be a hammer & sickle. This needs to be in the national media but they're too busy reporting about a terrorist being roughed up a little, not DC cops crapping on the Constitution.

Holocaust anyone? This is nuts!

Holy freakin cow. Are these the same hypocrites critisizing China for human rights abuses? The DC flag should be a hammer & sickle. This needs to be in the national media but they're too busy reporting about a terrorist being roughed up a little, not DC cops crapping on the Constitution.

Keep in mind the cops in DC are only doing as there told.There not the ones making these decisions

Yes, but there is a time when an unjust order should not be followed. How about just setting up a table at the entrance of the apartment and telling all of the residence if they would like to turn in any firearms they will be there to take them.

Better yet, get a member of the clergy to collect the firearms from the tenants and let them turn it in to the police. Citizens are far more likely to trust their priest than a police officer.

Guest CrazyLincoln

So, if they found a pile of dead bodies and you had a bloody machete, Amnesty means amnesty!

Officer, could you get rid of these bodies for me? They're starting to stink...

Missile dumped at US gun amnesty

A man in Florida surprised police by handing in a surface-to-air missile launcher during a gun amnesty in the city of Orlando.

Under the no-questions-asked scheme, "Kicks for Guns", anyone who surrendered a firearm would receive trainers or $50 (£25).

The Orlando Sentinel newspaper said the man exchanged the rocket launcher for designer footwear for his daughter.

He told the newspaper he found the 4ft (1.2m) weapon in a shed last week.

The unidentified man said he had tried in vain to get rid of the launcher, which is designed to blow aircraft out of the sky.

"I took it to three dumps to try to get rid of it and they told me to get lost."

"I didn't know what to do with it, so I brought it here," he told the newspaper.

Besides the missile launcher, Orlando Police collected more than 310 guns during the amnesty.

After inspecting the rocket launcher, police spokeswoman Sgt Barbara Jones said: "I tell you, you never know what you're going to get."

Update: LOL

According to the Orlando Sentinel the so called missile launcher was nothing more than a carrying case for an anti-tank weapon. Not exciting after all. Below is a photo of the carrying case:

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
actual article

This is terrible. I hope these people are not consenting to searches.

<O:p</O:p

I would also be curious to know if any Officers have made their concerns known on this issue; Police Unions, PBPA?

I understand that they are not violating anyone’s rights by asking; but this is wrong at face value.

If they want to set-up some kind of “gun task force†where Grandma can call in and have her home searched if she thinks her little gang banger thug Grandson is keeping guns there is one thing; but this…. ;)

Especially in a city with one of the highest crime rates in the country. Thugs don’t hand over guns and they don’t allow searches. How many man hours are being wasted on this?

I have to add that this borders on coercion and duress.

A law abiding person being confronted with uniformed, armed Police Officers asking to search their home can be intimidating.

Any guns they find that have been used in a crime will be challenged under an unlawful search.

I have been sent to homes where the parents called in and wanted their houses searched for drugs or guns. I think that is okay, although I would advise parents that there are better ways to handle the problem than getting the Police involved.

Looks like DC will have another case going to the SCOUTS.

Here is a better way to handle it.....

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1083392&srvc=rss

City pulls trigger on gun-search program

By Jessica Van Sack

The Boston Police Department is ready to launch its controversial new home-search program, taking the battle against gun violence straight into the bedrooms of youths who stash away illegal firearms.

The so-called Safe Home Initiative yesterday opened its 1-888-GUNTIPS hotline, which callers can use to request voluntary searches of a home where guns are suspected to be hidden. Police officials and program advocates hope parents of at-risk youths will be among the callers.

“We have to take every step that we can that is legal and constitutional to make a difference,†said <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City>Boston</st1:City> police Commissioner Edward Davis. “That is what this program is about. The removal of even one gun from a residence can save lives.â€

Program advocates held a press conference with <st1:City>Davis</st1:City> yesterday at the Bromley-Heath public housing development to counter simmering opposition from city councilors and the community.

"The Safe Homes Initiative is a step in the right direction,†said Rev. Jeffrey Brown of the Ten Point Coalition. “This is a program that is designed to help save lives and to brighten the futures of our young people.â€

Under the program, cops can search the bedrooms of kids age 17 and under with a parent’s consent. Cops are vowing not to arrest the offenders for illegal possession, saying the goal is to take as many weapons off the street as possible. <st1:City>Davis</st1:City> said yesterday that the program, however, won’t absolve youths of other charges if the seized weapon was found to have been involved in a crime.

Search teams will include clergy, plainclothes <st1:City>Boston</st1:City> police assigned to the public schools and bilingual officers. Participation is optional, and residents who consent must sign a waiver.

Searches are expected to begin as calls to the hotline start coming in. Brown said the program coordinators will convene about two weeks from now to “work out any kinks.â€

At first, the program is expected to focus primarily on the <st1:Street><st1:address>Egleston Square</st1:address></st1:Street> area, which <st1:City>Davis</st1:City> said has showed a significant interest. But searches will also be conducted throughout the city, officials said.

The Boston system doesn't sound that much better. If I think my neighbor has a gun that he shouldn't, I call the cops and they show up at his door doing the same thing the guys in DC are doing.

If you are worried that there may be an illegal gun in their house, the best option is looking for yourself . I doubt there is anything in my house that a cop can find but I cannot.

The Boston system doesn't sound that much better. If I think my neighbor has a gun that he shouldn't, I call the cops and they show up at his door doing the same thing the guys in DC are doing.

If you are worried that there may be an illegal gun in their house, the best option is looking for yourself . I doubt there is anything in my house that a cop can find but I cannot.

That’s not how I read it, but maybe I’m wrong.

That can happen in any community right now. If you call the cops and say your neighbor has illegal weapons; cops are bound to act. If your information is good it can be anything from simply asking your neighbor about it, asking him for permission to search, or attempting to obtain a warrant based on any information they have. But just telling you they have no probable cause to do anything probably will not be the answer.

I just see a big difference in being notified of criminal activity and randomly going door to door and asking to search.