Door to door searches underway in D.C.

Guest GLOCKGUY

Guest GLOCKGUY

<HR style="COLOR: #8c735a" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->http://www.nbc4.com/news/15688264/detail.html

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Crackdown On Guns Under Way In D.C.

Police Ask Residents To Submit To Voluntary Searches

POSTED: 6:49 am EDT March 24, 2008

UPDATED: 11:43 am EDT March 24, 2008

WASHINGTON -- A crackdown on guns is under way in the District. Police are asking residents to submit to voluntary searches in exchange for amnesty under the District's gun ban.

The program is starting in the Washington Highlands neighborhood of southeast Washington on Monday and will later expand to other neighborhoods.

Officers will go door to door asking residents for permission to search their homes.

Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said the "safe homes initiative" is aimed at residents who want to cooperate with police. She gave the example of parents or grandparents who know or suspect their children have guns in the home.

If weapons are recovered, they will be tested and destroyed if they are not found to be linked to any other crimes.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Edited by GLOCKGUY
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GLOCKGUY

This is how it all starts. Oppression with permission... and guilt by refusal. What do you think the DC PD will think when their door to door search has to skip a house?

What the hell is the Government doing asking family members to report each other?

Spooky times.

Guest GLOCKGUY

<TABLE class=tborder id=post10151186 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #8c735a 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #8c735a 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #8c735a 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #8c735a 0px solid" width=175></TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_10151186 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #8c735a 1px solid"><!-- message -->This was announced March 13.....<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote --> Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">D.C. Seeks Consent To Search for Guns

Amnesty Offered for Access to Homes

By Allison Klein

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, March 13, 2008; B01

D.C. police are so eager to get guns out of the city that they're offering amnesty to people who allow officers to come into their homes and get the weapons.

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty and Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier announced yesterday the Safe Homes Initiative, aimed at parents and guardians who know or suspect that their children or other relatives have guns. Under the deal, police target areas hit by violence and seek adults who let them search their homes for guns, with no risk of arrest. The offer also applies to drugs that turn up during the searches, police said.

The program is scheduled to start March 24 in the Washington Highlands area of Southeast Washington. Officers will go door-to-door seeking permission to search homes for weapons. Police later plan to visit other areas, including sections of Columbia Heights in Northwest and Eckington in Northeast.

"If we come across illegal contraband, we will confiscate it," Lanier said. "But amnesty means amnesty. We're trying to get guns and drugs off the street."

Fenty (D) and Lanier announced the plan as part of a new strategy to deal with the prevalence of firearms in a city that has one of the strictest gun control laws in the nation. The Supreme Court will hear arguments next week in a case challenging the constitutionality of the D.C. law.

Residents who agree to the searches will be asked to sign consent forms. If guns are found, they will be tested to determine whether they were used in crimes. If the results are positive, police will launch investigations, which could lead to charges.

Boston police are embarking on a similar program this month. Police in that city have been meeting with residents before the door-to-door effort begins. Philadelphia police are considering such an initiative.

Ronald Hampton, executive director of the National Black Police Association, questioned the Washington effort. As a lifelong D.C. resident and a former police officer, he said, he would not consent to his house being searched.

"They haven't earned that level of access or respect from the community," Hampton said. "I just can't believe they're trying to do that. I've never heard of anything like that in my life."

Arthur B. Spitzer, legal director of the Washington office of the American Civil Liberties Union, said the program is "a very bad idea." He said officers might act so aggressively that residents feel coerced into letting them in.

"It sends the message to the public that the police ought to be able to search your house anytime for any reason," Spitzer said. "People will be intimidated. That cheapens civil liberties and privacy for everyone."

At a news conference, Fenty and Lanier also said police will host monthly meetings with other law enforcement agencies to identify trends in gun-related crimes and to facilitate information sharing. The goal is to identify repeat offenders and find new ways to stop them, Lanier said.

"It should give us a much clearer picture of how to coordinate our efforts," she said.

Police also announced the creation of an anonymous hotline for people to call with information about crimes. The line, 888-919-CRIME, is staffed by detectives. In the coming weeks, the department is planning to set up a system through which the public can send tips as text messages.

"We want to make sure the community has every means necessary to get in touch with us," Lanier said. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->Ten days notice that "we're comin' to take your guns away...".

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Guest Boomhower
Grab as many as possible before their ban is finally put to rest as the unconstitutional piece of garbage that it is.

My thoughts as well. Hopefully this will add fuel to the fire for the SCOTUS to review.

Guest GLOCKGUY

It says they started in Washington Highlands which is a neighborhood of low income and community housing projects.

Anyone else think someone is hoping for a shootout to use as ammunition against reversing the gun ban?<!-- / message -->

Whats next? I will tell you.

Kicking in doors and forcably searching homes that they were not invited into is what.

The country is going down the tubes. I feel for our grandchildren and great grandchildren. After that there will be no BoR left to tred on.

Has the NRS said anything publicly about this?

Notice also the ACLU doesn't have a problem with it.

Must be because they aren't knocking on "their" door.

Typical.

I think you mean the NRA.

Um, did you read the article? Especially this part:

Arthur B. Spitzer, legal director of the Washington office of the American Civil Liberties Union, said the program is "a very bad idea." He said officers might act so aggressively that residents feel coerced into letting them in.

"It sends the message to the public that the police ought to be able to search your house anytime for any reason," Spitzer said. "People will be intimidated. That cheapens civil liberties and privacy for everyone."

Sure sounds like he has a problem with it to me.

It is an incredibly bad idea. But notice this is being done in an area of mostly gov't subsidized housing. Those people are dependent on gov't anyway and here is the downside of being dependent. If they refuse I could easily see their continuing status for Section 8 or whatever being reviewed down the line.

As for the cops having no problem with it, see my comments in the thread about rounding up guns.

Notice also the ACLU doesn't have a problem with it.

Must be because they aren't knocking on "their" door.

Typical.

Actually, the ACLU is opposed to this and it said so in the article: Arthur B. Spitzer, legal director of the Washington office of the American Civil Liberties Union, said the program is "a very bad idea."

Government going door to door and "asking" to come in? Sure and if you refuse and they happen to glance in and see something suspect an officer will just wait and get a warrant for a search and then the asking will become a demand.

Personally this IS the slippery slope. I just wish the good citizens of Washington D.C. will realize that they DO have rights.

Sorry officer, you may not come in. Get a warrant and then we will see. In the mean time, may I have your badge number and name and the name of your supervisor.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Without probable cause the police have NO REASON to be in my house with out my permission and I am not likely to give it to them. I have nothing to hide but they have nothing to gain by intruding in my home.

Guest canynracer

did anyone watch the video in the OP??? ACLU is handing out the No search flyers!! this is a lame lame lame Idea....I hope it never hits TN...

Guest GLOCKGUY

in the video they say Amnesty means Amnesty.. OK what if they found the real gun and shooter that killed President Kennedy. would that person just get to walk :popcorn:

Amnesty means amnesty?? Bunch of BS I guess.

No way are they going to recover a murder weapon and just let the shooter walk. I read the amnesty to mean that they will not prosecute over an illegally owned gun, or illegal posession of a gun. NO trigger lock they will forgive but gun used in a crime will be used as evidence, count on that.

I preach to the wife and daughter to never ever ever ever ever let a cop into the house. Under no circumstance are they to be let in the door. I don't care if it is freakin pouring down rain, the guy is fixing to poop his pants whatever, they are not coming in.

Guest GLOCKGUY

I preach to the wife and daughter to never ever ever ever ever let a cop into the house. Under no circumstance are they to be let in the door. I don't care if it is freakin pouring down rain, the guy is fixing to poop his pants whatever, they are not coming in.

"LOL" good advices i think ill tell my wife and kids that same thing tonight :popcorn: