Daughter's Deer Hunt

Well, Friday night while I was in the hospital, I tried to make arrangements for my 35 year old son to take my 15 year old daughter deer hunting Saturday morning. My Daughter Kiley, says "Daddy I can't hunt without you, you're in the hospital and sick. It' just wouldn't be the same". It kinda choked me up some. I said OK, you decide.

Well, I got out of the hospital Saturday and promised I would do all I could to get her to the woods Sunday (today).

I took her, but I didn't have the energy to go in the woods to hunt. So I parked the car and set there while she walked into the woods a short ways (we had our walkie talkies with us). I sat there for a little bit and it came up a downpour of rain. I was about ready to call her and tell her to come back to the car, and all of a sudden her 7mm/08 let out a thunderous crack. Half scared me to death. A short "crackle" in the radio..."I got one Daddy"....

She said "it's for you Daddy"....totaly choked me up!

So she took this doe....

kileydeer028.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your story tugged my heartstrings too,

That is a great doe and sound like a wonderful relationship with your daughter. It is what kid’s need, congratulations to both of you.

This was her 4th deer in 4 years, and her first one that I wasn't sitting in a stand with her. Other than the youth hunt this year, she's been in her stand by herself a little at a time off and on. She hunted with muzzleloader by herself and she checked out OK, so I was OK with her sitting by herself on our property today with her rifle. My baby is growing up!

Most of the folks here know this, I imagine, deep down inside. But . . .

This is awesome.

It seems to tap into something really, really old. Ancient, really.

You KNOW that your young one is capable of feeding herself, caring for herself, and that you trained her to be capable.

She also is perfectly willing to feed YOU.

I'm actually weeping while I'm sitting here.

Good job, Dad!

Thank you all. She is unique to say the least! Fishes, hunts, shoots squirrels with .22, field dresses her own deer, helps cut them up, scouts her own stand sights.....I could go on and on and on, but I won't.

This is really helping my healing. She blood trailed the doe about 30 yards into a thicket (it was raining), and dragged it out of the woods. I went down to the house and got the land owner and 4 wheeler, and he helped her load it on the 4 wheeler. They wouldn't let me touch anything. Nothing startled my heart like that rifle shot though!

I tell you man you have done a fantastic job, in fact done exactly what I want to do. I want both of my girls to be able to take care of themselves, provide for themselves, and not feel like they NEED a man to do it for them. It will be a long road with my 4 year old, but I am so looking forward to it.