Entry level (i.e. economical) AR Complete Upper

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

They are the most reliable but they can be harder on parts than a rifle length gas system. The carbine length are also less sensitive to budget ammo than rifle lengths.

Dolomite

Can't you just up the buffer weight, if you're really worried about it? Me... I don't worry about it.

Thanks guys. I got a DPMS parts kit, so it should stand up to as much abuse as I'll likely put through it (i.e. round count). Perhaps I'll build a heavier-duty one down the road.

I'll go with the first Upper linked (carbine length) and a carbine length MOE grip, and stock AR mill spec stock/buffer kit. Thanks for all the help guys.

Ok just one more question;

With the stock front sight on the upper, can I pick any standard rear flip-up sight? These will serve as full-time iron sights for now, and when the budget allows, I'll add an optic of some sort. Won't the permanent front-sight get in the way? However, almost all PSA uppers have the permanent front sight.

I think the A2 front sight gets in the way of an Eotech, but a LOT of folks run them that way. An A2 works great on my Aimpoint carbine with lower 1/3 cowitness.

I like the Magpul MBUS rear sight, but I'm not an iron sight guy. It's cheap, and it works.

Of course they are out of that upper with M4 handguards. The MOE option is $10 more than outright buying MOE grips, and also forgoes having the M4 handguards on hand. Seems things always work this way.... :-/

Of course they are out of that upper with M4 handguards. The MOE option is $10 more than outright buying MOE grips, and also forgoes having the M4 handguards on hand. Seems things always work this way.... :-/

Buy it. I think I have a set of handguards I'll give you. I hate those things.

Get the dissipator upper. Dissipators look awesome!

Missed you guys' posts, should have hit refresh :-) That does look tempting at $30 more to habe the long sight radius, but if carbines are more forgiving of cheap ammo, I wonder if I'd have any issues with it. Then again, if the carbine sight radius works for a million soldiers, I suppose it's good enough for regular ole me.

Missed you guys' posts, should have hit refresh :-) That does look tempting at $30 more to habe the long sight radius, but if carbines are more forgiving of cheap ammo, I wonder if I'd have any issues with it. Then again, if the carbine sight radius works for a million soldiers, I suppose it's good enough for regular ole me.

Sight radius doesn't mean squat to an optical sight.

I think I'm going to go ahead with the carbine length for now.... need to remember my budget.... I keep reminding myself.... and then forgetting. :-)

I am trying to decide between the standard stock and MOE stock... $50 vs $80. Is there any significant reason to get the MOE stock, other than slight comfort?

This MBUS sight looks good for dedicated rear sights, right? Magpul Gen 2 Rear MBUS

Thank you!!

p.s. If I go with the standard stock my total build should come in right around $660, not bad. I was hoping around $600 but didn't have a hard limit.

Edited by Guest
The dissipator is a carbine length gas system under a rifle length handguard. You get the rifle length sight radius as well. Plus it just looks awesome!

BCWA3F-16DMOE-500.jpg

That is exactly like my wife's 9mm AR except I used a railed gas block rather than a front sight. While I had it apart I also reprofiled the barrel and lost a pound or so of weight. I had to make a spacer to take up the difference between the barrel and gas block but other than that it is a pretty nice setup now.

She doesn't like the dissipator look but I like it. The MOE handgaurds are pretty comfortable.

Dolomite

Before I place the order, do uppers come with a tool to adjust the front sight for elevation (though it isnt mentioned) or do I need to purchase one of those too?

Edited by Guest
Yep, that's the barrel length, which is the legal minimum. Yes, around 17.5" total. looks like an M4 profile on the barrel.

There... didn't take you long to talk yourself out of a pinned flash hider. MOST free float handguards require you to remove the gas block to install them. The only way to remove the gas block is to remove the flash hider too. Removing a pinned flash hider is a gun smithing job. Personally, I absolutely hate the fat cheap hanguards that come with most uppers. Drop 28 bucks on one of these...

MOE Handguard AR-15

It is set up to mount small rail sections where you want them. Mounting a light is easy. The ergos are great, especially compared to the cheesey one.

BTW, the MOE handguard just snaps on. I can change one out in 5 minutes or less

That is why I ordered my BCM with the DD Lite 12 rail on it already.

I have a 14.7 perma pinned mid length and a 16" non pinned (of course) carbine length AR

I like the 14.7 with pinned flash hider quite a bit but it is restrictive as others have pointed out. Though mine sports a vortex flash hider so thats probably why i don't care...for a rail I went with a Troy MRF drop in since on a gun this short and with a FN Hammer Forged barrel im not worried about "long range" so I can forego the free float rail...also I wanted to keep the front sight post since its my "SHTF"/37mm Zombie Launcher rifle.

My other AR is a 16" with Troy Claymore Brake its pretty handy but I do notice the difference in length. I do like the fact I was able to completely dismantle it without having to break out a saw or grinder and install a free floating troy TRX extreme 13" rail by myself whereas the other gun would have required a gunsmith. Its more of a paper puncher though im afraid both rifles are user limited so it might not ever have the chance to outshoot the shorter gun.

Definitely go with the MOE handguard over the factory m4...its very very versatile for the money...as long as your not needing to free float or install a 37mm launcher it can pretty much handle any accessory you throw at it with the proper (and inexpensive) moe rail pieces. I do find the MOE stock more comfortable then the standard m4, but on my 16" gun eventually im going to go with something more exotic.

to adjust your front sight I would recommend the UTG front sight tool its on amazon for ~$8.00 and makes adjustment quick and easy.

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
more info

Thanks guys, I went with the MOE front grip. UPS email said the shipping label was printed at 5:00 Thursday, but apparently it's still sitting at PSA and hasn't been given to the UPS driver............

Now I just need to find a scope ring to mount a light. Did pick up one of the 5-space rail sections. 5-oz light won't cause too much or an accuracy issue will it? I would assume that any accuracy deviation would be more cuased by varying forces like the user handling, rather than a constant 5-oz pull of the light.

Is this discoloration on the feed ramp area normal for a brand new upper? I have not put any rounds through the rifle, but plan to hopefully test fire in the morning, if I can squeeze in a trip to the range.

Is this perhaps normal wear from a test-firing at PSA prior to shipping, or something else? Anything to worry about?

newPSAupper20111225a.jpg

newPSAupper20111225b.jpg

Thanks guys, I went with the MOE front grip. UPS email said the shipping label was printed at 5:00 Thursday, but apparently it's still sitting at PSA and hasn't been given to the UPS driver............

Now I just need to find a scope ring to mount a light. Did pick up one of the 5-space rail sections. 5-oz light won't cause too much or an accuracy issue will it? I would assume that any accuracy deviation would be more cuased by varying forces like the user handling, rather than a constant 5-oz pull of the light.

Nothing to worry about with this either. The weight of a flashlight is minimal at best. And unless you have a free floated barrel there is not going to be any noticeable different in accuracy. The reason why it might affect a free floated barrel is harmonics. You add something to a barrel, that acts like a tuning fork when fired, it will change the point of impact. Again, this is only with free floated barrels.

Is the rail sectin the MOE rail section or something else?

What flashlight you running?

Dolomite

That is just from the tips of the bullets riding up. Nothing to worry about.

Dolomite

Thanks. That was my best guess, but I hadn't put any bullets through it yet, so I just wanted to check. PSA does test fire them.

Is the rail sectin the MOE rail section or something else?

What flashlight you running?

Yes, MOE 5-space rail. I just need to go purchase a ring mount is all.

This light. Maelstrom G5 4Sevens.Com