Gun safe, electronic keypad locks, good? bad? Experience?

I am in the market for a gun safe and was wondering if any of you folks have any experience with these electronic key pads?

Do they hold up over the long run? Should I steer clear of them and go with a dial lock?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one, though I would hardly call it long term yet, not quite a year. But it is easy to operate and error free to date.

I believe the two big advantages to a keypad are that it is simple to open, only takes a send or so and that you can easily change the combination.

I called the facctory on this before I purchased mine. They told me ,that most locksmiths have keypads with an assortment of connectors, and they can hook up their pad and let you punch in the code.

I also asked what happened in case of a break in or someone stealing the pad. They advised they would send another with a copy of the receipt and a notarized letter from the owner for $20.

They also said the low battery beeper will drive you nuts before it dies(like a smoke detector) and the safe retains your combo when the battey dies.

Edited by VERO1
updated
Guest GLOCKGUY

the one i have the buttons sometime was hard to push i took it back and got a new one and it has work just fine for about a year now

Guest Mugster

I have a sentry with a keypad. They come with keys, so if the batteries die, you remove the face of the keypad and use the key to open it. Its a very long, odd looking, skeleton looking key with a circular end on it. I had a locksmith take a look at it, and he told me it would be tough to pick it.

Here's a link to something close to mine. I think I have an earlier model. the 15 gun safes will do about 8-9 long arms and you can reasonably get 5-6 handguns in the top, outside of their cases. I store mine in old tube socks that are no longer viable for sock duty.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4244345

I personally wouldn't buy one without non-electronic access...but the pushbutton entry is really nice. I lag bolted mine to the floor and also bolted it to the wall...so it's "reasonable security" against an idiot.

Guest rockytop

I have one with the keypad and really like it. It is so much easier to use on a routine basis. I also have a small old safe with the dial and it is a slower and much more deliberate task to open. i.e. Was that FIVE turns to the RIGHT and stop at 22 or FOUR turns to the LEFT and stop at 22???? Then again I am an old timer, born in 1939 or was that 1893??

If you dont have non-electronic backup and some kind of EMP goes off you wont have access to any of your firearms.

I don't know about that. They are pretty low level electronics. Myth Busters drove a car through a simulated EMP and while it killed the motor there were still many functioning electronics left working on the car.

And if a bomb of that sort does go off we have more troubles than access to some guns. Even in a worse case scenario you could beat through the side of the RSC with an axe. A sawzall will go through it like a knife through butter. Unless you are spending many thousands of dollars you do not have a safe.

• 1 month later...
Guest moreland281

I have had one for about 1 year now and it hasn't had any problems (I change the battery when I change my smoke detector batteries to be on the safe side)

Most if not all come with a emergency key to get in incase of failure

Guest rdl65

I have a Winchester safe with keypad that I have had for almost 9 years. Never has given me any problems, changed the battery just 2 times since new. i like the convenience of the keypad vs. dial type.

Guest Major Pain

I have a Browning with dial lock. Getting older and eyes not as good, takes 2 or 3 tries to open sometimes. Kinda wish I had a key pad.----Mike

I don't know about that. They are pretty low level electronics. Myth Busters drove a car through a simulated EMP and while it killed the motor there were still many functioning electronics left working on the car.

And if a bomb of that sort does go off we have more troubles than access to some guns. Even in a worse case scenario you could beat through the side of the RSC with an axe. A sawzall will go through it like a knife through butter. Unless you are spending many thousands of dollars you do not have a safe.

Mike, when you're ready for a new gun safe, let me know..I'll build you one. :popcorn: all concrete and steel rebar, the best thing? it trolly's down into the floor and locks like a floor safe. my design holds around 10 rifles and 3 times that in pistols with a bottom shelf for ammo. they're all on a lazy susan also.

Guest Revelator

I guess asking "what's the right amount of money to spend on a safe" is kind of like asking "what's the right amount to spend on a gun," but can some of you give me an idea of the dollar ranges we're talking? Obviously I don't have a safe but would like to as my collection grows; can I get some opinions on different types and their prices?

Since kids aren't a concern at my house, I have started putting guns and other valuable odds and ends in false books on my bookshelf. I have a couple I've gotten from craft stores.

You can get a big fake Moby Dick (Thats what she said. Ha.) for about $15 bucks at the Hobby Lobby near me. It looks like a real book from more than an inch away, and the bookshelf is probably the last place a thug would look if my house is broken into. My main concern with some of the more portable safes is that they are just that: Portable.

I got a TimberRidge by Liberty at Gander Mtn. in Jackson. I think it's 23"x30"x60" and holds up to 20 long guns or adjust the inside the way you want it. It weighs 563 empty. I should have had it bolted to the slab when I had it installed, but I didn't. I think I gave around $800 for it. It was $900 but if you applied for GM credit card they knocked off 10%. I put it in an extra bedroon walk-in closet and had to take doorjams off to get it in. It has the regular dial lock on it, which is fine. It gives you peace of mine when you're gone from home. I'm very pleased with the purchase.

DSCN0926.JPG

Edited by mac12
  • 3 weeks later...

Im looking into getting a safe real soon. I found a 45 gun safe with the elec. keypad for $1100. It is stack-on brand, which i don't know much about. But it seems to be made really well and the interior is pretty nice