1911 Suggestions: Kimber - Springfield - Colt or ???

TNMP40

Guest Keinengel

I'll back the Springers also. My last 1911 was a TRP Operator and I absolutely loved it. Very tight tolerances and well put together. Not exactly a Wilson or Les Baer but a lot of gun for the money nonetheless. I regret selling it :)

Also like Lumber_jack said, the XD/XDm series and the 1911s are totally different guns.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STI Spartan for under $700. STI Trojan for under $1000. STI Tactical or Edge for hi-cap ~$1500 range. The Outpost in Murfreesboro and Guns and Leather in Greenbriar seem to have the widest selection available for fondling different manufacturers.

Mac

Personally I'd get a Colt, Standard 5" Government Model for starters.

As for Kimbers, you can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig. You pay for bangels and bobbels and finishes, but the basic gun is still a $500 to $600 gun. Oh and you get to pay for those fancy glossy magazine ads too.

I think there are other guns that are better, but Kimber has the 'name' thing going. I still see a lot of FTF for one reason or another at about any class I attend. If that is what you want, go for it. But go in with your eyes wide open.

I think there are other guns that are better, but Kimber has the 'name' thing going. I still see a lot of FTF for one reason or another at about any class I attend. If that is what you want, go for it. But go in with your eyes wide open.

The instructions that came with my Kimber said there was a "breaking in" period of (I think) 500 rds. I had a few FTF in the first 200 rds but none since. I dig it. It's a nice pistol.

I see a lot of Kimbers with issues at the range, but I think thats because a LOT of people have Kimbers. Few years ago I went to a Glock event and guess what, every gun that screwed up was a Glock :) I can take or leave a Kimber, myself I like a solid basic gun and upgrading it along the line the way I want it - not the way Kimber (or any one else) wants it.

People are passionate about their 1911's, just like cars. In its basic form all a good 1911 has to do is go boom when you pull the trigger, hit what you are aiming at, eject and chamber the next round. The rest is what the buyer likes to look at and can afford.

I like the new 70 series repop, its a nice gun, but pricy and basic. The Sig and S&W 1911s are pretty nice as well if you can do the external extractor.

......The Sig and S&W 1911s are pretty nice as well if you can do the external extractor.

I was wondering if anyone was going to ever mention the S&W 1911s. Yes, the traditionalists will balk at the external extractor, but S&W makes good stuff and a very nice 1911. I love mine. You may want to take a look at the new Ruger SR1911 too.

Kimber Custom Classic Stainless Target was my first 1911 in the mid 90s and is still a favorite gun. I have several Kimbers in all sizes and have made the jump to Nighthawks as of the last year. Save your money and buy a Nighthawk. They can be had in the mid 2k range. Lots of money, but probably the best made guns I have ever had.

I am in the same situation as the OP. I narrowed it down to the Springfield Loaded and the new Ruger SR1911. Unfortunatley at this time I cant get my hands on an SR1911 so my purchase is being delayed until I can. Or until I find a used Loaded for a respectable price. Buds had one the other day but it never made it out of their VIP section, it was bought in a few hours it seems. it is really hard for me to drop the cash on a gun until I can get my hands on it and any others I may be considering.

I say go with the Springfield-Armory Mil-Spc . I have one that I bought it 2002. I just did a complete disassembly and then I put it back togather. It was way easy and didnt have that many parts ! It is an awesome gun . And if you dont like the ILS just take it out and put in a regular MSH. I did and it took only 3 minutes. Very awesome 1911 !!!

Here it is . No fancy stuff like large beaver-tails nor adjustable triggers just plain jane 1911 .

1911.jpg

Edited by tercel89

For your first 1911 I would go with one that has a pony on it. They were the first to make it and since the 1911 is a nostalgic icon I would say Colt. I have a Colt Government series 80 that works flawlessly. It cost me $650 a few years ago. I am looking at getting another 1911 myself. I would consider another Colt but there are so many to choose from it boggles the mind. Remington, Ruger, Smith, Springfield, RIA, Taurus, and then there is Kimber.

Seems like you are looking for a 1911 that is aesthetically pleasing... Ie: Novak sights, skelitonized hammer, vented trigger, extended safety, beaver tail... Kimber is probably the one I'd go with... Plus I like there slide serrations ... Never owned one, I can't see spending that amount on a gun unless I found a used one for around 600 ... if u don't like it you can get what you have in it back... Or wouldn't have any issues trading it for something nice ...

Guest FiddleDog
I was wondering if anyone was going to ever mention the S&W 1911s. Yes, the traditionalists will balk at the external extractor, but S&W makes good stuff and a very nice 1911.

I'm a big fan of the external extractor on the Sig and especially the SW. I figure if the external extractor was good enough to put on the High Power, then it's good enough for me. That, and the extractors on the Sigs and SW are HUGE.

I'd say the Sig Scorpion 1911 Commander, or the SW1911 PD would be great ones to look at.

Guest Travtastik

I have a Kimber custom and i love the look and fell of it. It did break in the first 50 rounds and I had to send it back. You could cock the hammer back and fell a slight click but when you let go the hammer it fired. It shoots great when it's working but I don't think I would buy another one. My next 1911 will be a ruger and then a sig scorpion.

I'm a big fan of the external extractor on the Sig and especially the SW. I figure if the external extractor was good enough to put on the High Power, then it's good enough for me. That, and the extractors on the Sigs and SW are HUGE.

I'd say the Sig Scorpion 1911 Commander, or the SW1911 PD would be great ones to look at.

Probably one of the biggest problem areas of 1911s is the internal extractor, I have broken several and tweaked them to make a non running gun work great. Nowadays I see some 1911s using what appears to be MIM internal extractors and I dint think they fare well when some flex is needed like traditional 1911.

I like the Sigs myself, but having three good running 'real' 1911s I cant justify buying a S&W or Sig, but if I was going to use one to carry I think I would go with a modern external extractor 1911. As much as I like the look of a plain GI 1911 I think the Sigs look great, the S&Ws I have handled were nice as well. Int he last few years S&W has been turning out some decent priced, quality guns.