BEING PREPARED AND AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS

Guest dubaholic2

Guest dubaholic2

a guy that i work with shared this story with us the other day and i thought that it was worth passing on. his wife was exiting west town mall a couple weeks ago and was about to make a call on her cell phone, but something told her to wait. so she didnt make the call and was heading to her car. she has been taught to carry her keys with the key fob between her thumb and index finger, so she could use it readily, and with a key sticking out between her fingers as a weapon. she was walking to her car like this and noticed a white van parked next to her car. she was leary about it, but had to go between the van and her car to get to the drivers seat of her car. so with her hand on her purse, she unlocked her car and proceeded to walk to it. she had just opened the door and was about to toss her purse inside, when a man grabbed her with both arms, from behind. he immediatley stomped his foot, elbowed his ribs, and turned and swung at his face with the key, but luckily he was already on the retreit. she jumped into her car, locked the doors, and immediately pulled out and called the police and her husband. if she had not been properly trained she probably would not have gone home that night. just goes to show how much situational awareness can benefit you.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad everything went her way, that could have been ugly. She must have been shaken by the experience but she obviously did good. Her family should be proud of her actions.

May not matter in this case but I'm curious. Is this mall posted? How about their parking lot?

Glad everything went her way, that could have been ugly. She must have been shaken by the experience but she obviously did good. Her family should be proud of her actions.

May not matter in this case but I'm curious. Is this mall posted? How about their parking lot?

West Town mall in Knoxville is NOT posted. There are code-of-conduct signs periodically that say "no weapons" but not properly posted at all entrances as per Tn law.

Guest bkelm18
If something gives you "the creeps", there's a reason for it.

My ex-fiance lives in another state (we still talk), and she kept telling me there's this guy at her work that sexually harasses her. She's gone to her superiors but they just slap him on the wrist. Anyway, she tells me a couple weeks ago that this guy shows up at her house and apologizes. She has no clue how he found out where she lives. I told her this is very strange and that you need to watch out for this guy. I had a very bad feeling about this. She said she's going to take it as it is, an apology. Well, he revisited her at home few days later. She's still in the hospital over a week later.

Thinking the world is a big happy place is the wrong mindset and can get you hurt or killed. Being aware of things and trusting your gut will get you a long way.

Edited by bkelm18
West Town mall in Knoxville is NOT posted. There are code-of-conduct signs periodically that say "no weapons" but not properly posted at all entrances as per Tn law.

Everyone keeps saying that but I swear I've never seen one of these signs at all. Granted, I'll keep carrying there until a security doofus asks me to leave so there we go.

Guest dubaholic2

as stated already, the mall is not properly posted, but i dont think a gun would have been much help to her in this instance anyway. he got her from behind, before she knew he was there. therefore she would not have had time to turn and shoot.

Everyone keeps saying that but I swear I've never seen one of these signs at all. Granted, I'll keep carrying there until a security doofus asks me to leave so there we go.

Next time you go, enter through a Main entrance not sears, belk etc. in the foryer between the two sets of doors look on the wall. There will be a laundry list of "rules" in a metal frame with plastic front.

as stated already, the mall is not properly posted, but i dont think a gun would have been much help to her in this instance anyway. he got her from behind, before she knew he was there. therefore she would not have had time to turn and shoot.

Truth. Being prepared is much more than just having a gun!

My ex-fiance lives in another state (we still talk), and she kept telling me there's this guy at her work that sexually harasses her. She's gone to her superiors but they just slap him on the wrist. Anyway, she tells me a couple weeks ago that this guy shows up at her house and apologizes. She has no clue how he found out where she lives. I told her this is very strange and that you need to watch out for this guy. I had a very bad feeling about this. She said she's going to take it as it is, an apology. Well, he revisited her at home few days later. She's still in the hospital over a week later.

Thinking the world is a big happy place is the wrong mindset and can get you hurt or killed. Being aware of things and trusting your gut will get you a long way.

I hope she is ok...

Guest bkelm18
I hope she is ok...

She's pretty messed up but alive. Still has her wits about her. Police are still looking for the guy apparently. The things I would do if I ever caught the guy...

Holy Crap!. My family frequents West Town Mall. This scares me to death. I usually do enter through one of the Dept. Stores, and don't notice any signs there; so I will continue to carry. Makes me scared for my wife though.

Unfortunatley, I think this lady is the "exception" rather than the rule.. .how many other wives/girlfriends would have enough situational awareness to fight off the attacker like this. I mean 2-3 seconds he could have had her in the van with the door closed and then . . .lights out! Again, Holy Crap!

Holy Crap!. My family frequents West Town Mall. This scares me to death. I usually do enter through one of the Dept. Stores, and don't notice any signs there; so I will continue to carry. Makes me scared for my wife though.

Unfortunatley, I think this lady is the "exception" rather than the rule.. .how many other wives/girlfriends would have enough situational awareness to fight off the attacker like this. I mean 2-3 seconds he could have had her in the van with the door closed and then . . .lights out! Again, Holy Crap!

I won't let my wife go shopping alone after dark. Either her mom goes with her or I go. I understand this is not always possible but I try to make it a rule as often as I can. When she does end up going alone she parks in well lit areas as close to the doors as possible.

Guest WyattEarp

scary stuff, glad she was prepared, and was able to catch him off guard and unprepared, and startle him enough to retreat, while she got away. I hope they catch this guy and get him off the streets, but if he happens to attack someone else and gets to eat a bullet or two for dinner, well, it'll be one less bad guy to worry about.

I always make it a point when walking to my car, good areas and bad areas, to be actively looking around in all directions. keys in my left hand, right hand loose and close to my sidearm. I have remote lock/unlock/start on my car, so I can start my car before I get close to it, then when im close, unlock it, hop in, and then I automatically lock the doors the minute i get in and get the door shut.

Glad she is ok. Things like this happen all the time but it never make the news. Ya hear stories like this way too much. A family member told us a story just yesterday of a young girl taken from a WM parking lot. She was forced into a car, made to drive away, and sexually assaulted. Take the time to remind the wife and daughter(s) to fight with all they have, and do not to get into a vehicle no matter what!

You're lucky she could defend herself, many can't.

Holly Bobo came to mind reading this thread. I haven't heard any updates about this case but I suspect the outcome will not be good. Very sad.

They need to have these sex offenders castrated and in prison for life.

Guest mcgyver210

I have always told my wife to do the same thing & also wont allow her to go out after dark in some situations.

The puzzling part of stories like this is when is someone going to take the Store/Mall to task on taking our ability to protect our self away but not providing proper protection of its customers.

Gun Buster Signs are just invitations to criminals letting them know there will be no resistance from their victims per-say since they only stop Law Abiding citizens. Now my wife also carries a knife & has also had some Martial Arts Training. As for me I always have carried some sort of knife & also have Martial Arts Training. My son on the other hand is a Black Belt & still trains.

Ditto on that. They say you have less than 30 seconds worth of adrenaline to fight off such a situation of being abducted. If you can't get away in that time, the chances are not good.