My 13 yr old got a doe today! How far was the shot? (Pic included)

My 13 yr old son, my 9 yr old son, and I went to Chickasaw State Park to hunt today. (We haven't seen anything there so far this year but, this got us out of cleaning up all the Christmas decorations that Mama was now tired of.) We live over an hour away and didn't get to the woods until almost 8 a.m. but, weren't in any hurry. My 13 yr old wanted to use our new climbing stand in a new spot today overlooking a cutover. I made him carry it and the gun he would be using all the way while me and the 9 yr old followed behind him with nothing. (I had to see how far he was willing to carry everything back.) He found a good point to the cutover and proceeded to set up the climber. He only went up about 10 feet and the 9 yr old and I left to go get our guns and go to our stand.

I looked at my watch and it was 8:30 a.m.

As the 9 yr old and I made it down in to the valley and crossed two creeks, we heard the loud, "BLAM!" that could have only come from him. We looked at each other and then I called out his name to be answered with a "WoooooHoooooo". We headed back up the hill and when made it to the tree he had been in, I looked at my watch.

It was now 8:40 a.m.

He had been in the stand 5 minutes or less before getting a shot off at a doe. He told us that two doe came out in to the cutover and he KNEW he hit the one he was aiming at. (He was using my Remington .308 since he would be able to shoot a good distance.) The doe, he believed, was only a hundred yards off and he knew exactly where she went. We followed him to a semi-road through the cutover and began walking, and walking, and walking. I told him that I thought it was much more than 100 yards. When we arrived to where he thought he shot her, I didn't see any signs and thought he had played a bad joke on us. As I was about to let him have it, he yelled, "There she is!" and sure enough, there she was.

The round hit on the chest, just to the inside of the right shoulder and ended up obliterating the left shoulder. She only made it about 20 yards.

Here's a pic of him showing the "5" minutes he was in the stand until he shot. (Little punk!)

IMG_0359.jpg

Here's the real question though. As I went back to the truck to get needed things to field dress and transport the deer, I stopped by his stand and took a picture back to where the boys were still with the deer. To me, it looked like 250-300 yards but, I could be waaaayyyyy off. Here is the picture with my boys circled in orange. If you look closely, you can see them as little orange dots in the circle. When I took the picture, I was standing on a tall stump and the stand was about 10 yards behind me.

How far of a shot woud you estimate this to be?

Howfaristhisshot.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 9 yr old and I went back out for about an hour. He was GREEN with envy! He and I will go back out on Saturday without his brother.

We are going to take a friend's rangefinder and I'll post how far the shot was. Something tells me we will e in the same spot.

Congrats! Hard to tell distance from the photo, but a neat trick to learn is to step off distance in the woods. The Army taught me to do this over rough terrain and smooth terrain, then you can count steps and get pretty close. The trick is to use a 50 yard (150 feet) open reel tape measure to measure out a known distance and then walk out and back while counting your steps. Then you can get some idea of how many steps it takes you to cover 100 yards in the woods. This could be a fun project for you and your boys during the off season.

I'm actually in a blind with the 9 yr old now and we haven't seen anything today. (He doesn't sit still very well yet.)

He and I used my brother-in-law's rangefinder and determined the shot my 13 yr old made on Wednesday was 276 yards. His first deer ever, last year, was at 30 yards.

I'd say he has stepped up his game!