0w-20 motor oil

gregintenn

I bought a new Honda a while back, and the owner's manual states that to keep from voiding the warranty, you have to use 0w-20 motor oil in it. All I can find is $8 per quart synthetic oil in that weight. It is a popular car, so I wound't think finding the correct oil would be a problem. Wal Mart shows a 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 synthetic for $27, but I can't locate any in person. I've always used conventional Pennzoil with good results, but I don't think they make this weight. What do you guys use, and where do you get it? I feel somewhat pressured to take it back to the dealer for service. I guess that's the plan, huh?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is effectively no difference between 0W20 and 5W30 in our climate. That said, I wouldn't go any higher than 5W30 in it. The synthetic oil is pricey, but when you consider the typical 10k mile change interval, it's not so bad.

Having just looked... Advance Auto has a store brand full synthetic 5W20 for $4.79/qt.

If, by chance, you're not familiar with what 5W30 or 0W20 really means, read this... HowStuffWorks "What does the weight mean on a can of motor oil?"

I bought a new Honda a couple of weeks ago and also notice the 0-20W recommendation. I'm old enough now that I don't crawl under cars like when I was young. We are on our 4th & 5th Honda and for the few $$ difference I'm like UncleJak we have the dealer do it. I expect to pay the same the 1st time I take the new 2011 for service as I presently pay for the 03. Most dealerships have contacts with oil companies for buy the product in bulk. Rusty Wallace Honda for years used Mobil produces because they were a Penske Racing sponser. I am curious to see what they brand and weight of oil they will actually provide.

BMW's like it, too. I have been using it since I found out about it since I guess 2003-2004. Been using

Mobil 1 since it came out. I can't say definitively that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's

one department I have no problems with in my life: my cars. Change the oil about every 10-15K miles or

when the oil looks like it needs it.

I have a 07 honda and the dealership has always gave me such a deal on oil changes that I let them handle it...

If I weren't over an hour from the nearest dealership, and had the spare time, I'd go that route as well. If you live out in the sticks like I do, it is a big inconvenience.

If I weren't over an hour from the nearest dealership, and had the spare time, I'd go that route as well. If you live out in the sticks like I do, it is a big inconvenience.

Good enough reason for me not to buy a Honda. My little ol' beat up Dodge Dakota will run on anything I pour in the crank case (up to and including a half gallon of vegetable oil that I used in an emergency - before I changed the rear main seal. lol). I wish you the best of luck!

VW has similar warranty requirements. You need to keep records either way. I would do a little price comparing on doing it myself, letting the dealer do it or a local drain and fill. You might also can find a local oil distributor where you can purchase oil by the case which may be a bit cheaper.

The dealerships usually offer a long term deal and I'll bet a Jiffy Lube might also?

Guest mustangdave

I run the 0w-20 synthetic AMSOIL in my 2003 ROUSH Mustang...change it at 10K....all the cars and motorcycle in garage use AMSOIL now... I have drunk from the synthetic kool-aid cup...

You might also can find a local oil distributor where you can purchase oil by the case which may be a bit cheaper.

Parts stores will offer discounts if you buy by the case. If you ask nicely, they'll even give you shop price.

I believe that Havoline actually makes O'Reilly's store brand.

Far as I know, they make the oil for all 4 of the big chains.

Guest WyattEarp

the weight on that oil keeps getting thinner and thinner, but they do it for EPA and gas mileage standards and emissions purposes. My Honda Accord was burning 3 qts of oil every 900 miles last year, and this past Sept i got the oil rings replaced and a few other things while in there, and it quit doing that, thank god.

It's no longer cost effective to change your own oil anymore, I take mine to Tire World in Murfreesboro and let them do the oil, filter, air filter and rotate the tires, cost me $38 sraight up.