Glock vs. Kahr

I have a growing interest in Kahrs and I'd like to get some feedback from you all on the differences of the two. Which one is better and why? Is the reliability of the Kahr comparable to the Glock? Etc., etc.

I'd especially like to hear from those of you that own or have owned both and have been able to compare the two hands on. I know Glocks well and have owned them for almost 20 years. On the other hand, Kahrs are completely new to me.....I've never shot or even handled one. I'm going to the Knoxville gun show in a couple weeks and I'm going to check them out while I'm there. Who knows.....my birthday is coming up and I need something to cheer me up since I'll be turning 40 :P

Please everyone, let's not turn this into one of those Glock bashing threads! I will always love my Glocks......but the Kahr definitely has me intrigued.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steelharp

I've had both; Kahr's were a nice little fling, a well made, good shooting diversion. They are gone, I still have my Glocks. Why carry 8 rounds when you can carry 15+, in a package of comparable size and lighter weight?

I've had both; Kahr's were a nice little fling, a well made, good shooting diversion. They are gone, I still have my Glocks. Why carry 8 rounds when you can carry 15+, in a package of comparable size and lighter weight?

+1 That pretty much says it all. I still carry my K9 occasionally though.

Kahrs have a smoother trigger, are dimensionally slightly narrower and have better ergonomics than Glocks (subjectively), but comparing the 2 is difficult unless you are only comparing the polymer-framed Kahrs, which are similar in weight for a givne size. Still the advantage of magazine capacity is a plus for the Glock which can't be ignored. But, either way, you're not going to find a Glock which is smaller than the subcompact Kahrs.

Kahrs aren't as well known for being reliable, since they generally require a break-in period, whereas Glocks run well out of the box.

Guest Grout

[Kahrs aren't as well known for being reliable, since they generally require a break-in period, whereas Glocks run well out of the box.

Break in?,The one Kahr I owned would not even chamber hollow point ammo.I know people who swear by them but I can't bring myself to get another one.Also the owner is the son of Sun Yung Moon the leader of the Moony cult and is the second or third highest ranking member.

Guest canynracer

I would say it all depends on your plans, I have a kahr, CW40...it is thinner and lighter than the Glock...it is a beyotch to break in, but once its done, it is very reliable. The round count, well yeah, but you sacrifice comfort for that...Mine holds 7 total of 40 cal...to me, that is sufficent...

I know you can drop a Glock in a pile of mud and poo-poo and it will still shoot...I havent tried that on the Kahr...and probably wont :eek:

I also have an M&P 40c, I carry either one, depending on where I am going, or what I am wearing...shorts, no belt and t-shirt = Kahr Jogging pants=Kahr, Jeans with a belt=M&P

I would suggest both :eek:~ carry which one suits your need for the dress/weather

Guest darkstar

I have a Glock (23) and had a Kahr (CW45). I shoot the Glock all the time, the Kahr got fired enough to fulfill the break in period then sat on the shelf gathering dust. They (Kahr) are pretty good guns, but I just found myself not carrying it or shooting it much. It had a habit of gouging out a chunk of skin at the base of my shooting hand thumb, and although by no means horribly punishing to shoot it wasn't the most pleasant gun to take to the range. I decided I didn't need a compact size 45 afterall and traded it in on a Sig. As I said they are good guns, mine seemed to be a bit of an impulse buy so I easily parted with it. Don't take our word, see if you can rent one somewhere and put a box or two through it then decide if you gotta have one. You may really like them.

Guest .45Jon

Break in?,The one Kahr I owned would not even chamber hollow point ammo.I know people who swear by them but I can't bring myself to get another one.Also the owner is the son of Sun Yung Moon the leader of the Moony cult and is the second or third highest ranking member.

Did you use the slide stop to chamber a round?

On the other hand, Kahrs are completely new to me.....I've never shot or even handled one.

I don’t have anything to offer about the difference, but in reading your post I’m just wondering what the attraction is to the Kahr over the Glock? And if you have ruled out other choices?

Guest bigbuck_tn

Being a habituated Glock shooter I had alot of trouble with a friends K40. It had a super sweet smooth trigger and it felt good in my hand but the trigger reset is so much longer than what I was used to that I would short stroke the trigger in rapid fire and in slow fire it would seem to take forever before I could start back on the trigger again.

On the plus side it seemed to have alot less recoil than the G23 but it was quite a bit heavier. As I have gotten older and lazier I like lighter weight things. Particularly those that don't drag my britches down around my knees.:)

I would definitely try to shoot one before you bought, especially if your used to Combat Tupperware.

I currently own a glock 27 and 23 as well as a Kahr PM9 and CW40, I like all of them for different reasons. As far as reliability, the glocks never had any problems at all, the kahrs, I bought the PM9 used and it was already broken in so I have had zero issues with it, feeding or extracting, never an issue, it is very accurate for its size too! I bought the CW40 new and the kahrs do require a break in before they are reliable. I now have the CW40 broken in, (about 300 rounds) and shot it this past weekend with absolutely no issues at all!

Like I siad I like all of these that I have, I carry the PM9 almost every day in my front pocket, lately, since break in, I have been carrying the CW40 regularly in an IWB holster and I almost forget it is there. The glocks I find a bit more uncomfortable to carry and conceal which is subjective I know, so I find myself carrying the kahr more often. I do still carry one of my glocks from time to time most times in a serpa OWB with a shirt tail covering it.

If you can rent any kahrs and give them a try it would probably be to your benefit...

I don’t have anything to offer about the difference, but in reading your post I’m just wondering what the attraction is to the Kahr over the Glock? And if you have ruled out other choices?

Dave TN, I never said I was attracted to the Kahr OVER the Glock. Glocks are my first love and always will be I'm sure. I just like the looks of the Kahr and have heard many good things about them on here.....and so many people seem to be carrying them now. I really was just curious about them.....what the main differences were between them and Glocks.....and why many people seem to be choosing them to carry instead of a Glock. They don't seem to be cheaper.....maybe even a little more expensive for some models. I'm just in the mood for something different and the Kahrs interested me.

So really....after reading everyones comments about them.....why would someone choose a Kahr over a Glock? The Glocks don't require a break in period, they hold more rounds, and they're in the same price range....... the Kahrs are a little thinner than a Glock but they hold less rounds, and need to be broken in before being reliable, and then maybe still unreliable.

Seems my interest in the Kahrs is now rapidly declining! I think I'll just stick to my Glocks :)

Thanks for the info everyone :D

I'm not generally a Glock fan, but I defienetly prefer them over Kahr. If the day comes when I simply must add a Glock to my collection, it will definetly be a Glock 23.

Good choice on the 23! I have a 23c with night sights and it is an awesome gun. I also have a 27 for carry since it's a bit smaller than the 23 and I love it too. I can use the 23 mags in the 27 which is a big plus. I don't know why a lot of people complain about the "snappy" recoil of the .40 round......I personally think its a great caliber and don't have any problem at all with the recoil in either the 23 or 27.

Never owned a Glock, don't plan to and probably never will. Kahrs, I've owned two. An E9 that I recently sold and a K9 2003 Elite that is my daily carry. BOTH have been rock solid reliable from the first mag. You all can have your plastic fantastic kaboomers. I'll keep my Kahr, and pretty certain I'll buy more.

Oh and as to the capacity of a Kahr vs Glock. Since the average firefight is 3-5 rounds, and my Kahr is as accurate as any Glock, not a problem.

Don't get me wrong, Glocks are a very fine and popular weapons system. Just not something I want.

Guest cdsusong

hey packin mama, I have a Kahr CW9 and you are more than welcome to shoot it anytime to actually see the difference for yourself. just let me know when and where and I will make the arrangements. At least that way you will know for sure if it is right or wrong for you. I love glocks as well, and I also love my Kahr.

Guest killemducks

If it is a carry issue, looks like you have had the Glocks for a long time and are probably comfy carrying one. Wouldn't jeopardize learning a new gun after so much time with a Glock. It is your life on the line....

Just collecting and shooting? Borrow one, buy one, get one and try it out! May be the new love of your life!

I am digging the website guys...learning a lot of stuff here. Will serve me well when I get my permit. (yes, rookie here, take my comments for what they are worth!)

hey packin mama, I have a Kahr CW9 and you are more than welcome to shoot it anytime to actually see the difference for yourself. just let me know when and where and I will make the arrangements. At least that way you will know for sure if it is right or wrong for you. I love glocks as well, and I also love my Kahr.

Thanks cd.....maybe sometime soon you and your boys can come on over here and we'll shoot a little bit. I'm super busy right now......but I should have some more free time next month. If your boys like to fish you can bring your poles too.....I have a little catfish pond and we can shoot and fish at the same time ;)

Guest Grout
Did you use the slide stop to chamber a round?

Nope,The damn thing ran like a sewing machine with hardball but hps would hang up on the bottom of the feed ramp.It was a older model and most likely a mag issue but that and the Moony thing just turned me away.

Guest m4coyote

I own the Glock 19, 20, and 23, and the Kahr PM9. The decision to purchase the PM9 was quite simple - It is the smallest and lightest major caliber pistol that is easily available. The G27 and G26 are dimensionally much larger and heavier than the PM9. For pocket carry, the Kahr trigger mechanism seems far safer than that of the Glock. The Kahr trigger is very smooth, but it has a much longer pull, and more effort is required to discharge the weapon.

That said, I do not care for the larger Kahr pistols. The stainless frame Kahrs are too heavy, and have low capacity. The larger polymer frame Kahrs give up too much magazine capacity without providing any real gain in weight savings.

Other than the PM9, I definitely lean towards Glock.

Guest kdgreen23

Heres my deal:

I owned both a glock 23,27, as well as a model 22. The G22 shot awesome but was a little to big for me to carry. The 27 was a great

gun I just could never get over the last finger not having somewhere

to go. The 23 was the best carry but me being a bigger guy it just

did not conceal well. So, I sold them all and bought 2 Kahrs. The

CW9 and CW40. They both have been past the 200 round break-in

with No hiccups. I carry in a Don Humme sleve holster on my belt.

With a shirt untucked unless I turn sideways you can't see it. I absolutely

love the grip of them and the recoil is minimal on the cw9. The cw40 is

a little snappy, but still controllable. I also have an M&P 40 I carry

on weekends. So, my opinion, Glocks are great guns, but I just prefer

the Kahr. And as soon as the little .380 comes out kahr is going to

release, I will own it too. Good Luck to you.

Guest db99wj
....I don't know why a lot of people complain about the "snappy" recoil of the .40 round......I personally think its a great caliber and don't have any problem at all with the recoil in either the 23 or 27.

I agree, you can tell a difference if you shoot them side by side, 45 seems to push more than flip up, 9mm is just less, but it is just a matter of getting use to it.

Oh, and Screw them both, get an XD or a 1911 or a revolver, or a M&P!!!!!

J/K, We got to 3 pages and nobody has said anything about the others out there.

I like the thin profile of the Kahr, hold less, can't get my small hands around the Glocks, they seem to be wider and hold more. Out of the box for the Glock, break in period for the Kahr. I have a friend that has one, he loves it.

Worst case scenario, you buy one, you shoot it, you end up not liking it, you sell it. Best case, you keep it.

Every one keeps knocking Kahr about it's "break-in". Any gun you carry should go through a trial and break-in of a minimum of 200 rounds before it is considered "ready for carry". I know Glocks are reliable out of the box, but that "Glock Perfection" thing is just marketing.