Thinking about picking up a new 1911

Guest sling

Guest sling

I've been looking at Kimber's Custom II in .45. Now, i've heard a lot of good and a little bad about Kimber for... well whatever reason. Granted there are other flavors out there... Colt, Taurus, Springfield, etc...

Something just draws me to the Kimber. What do you all think?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EasilyObsessed

Find a Series 1 if you can.

If you get a Series 2, try to get one with an internal extractor. If you have any problems, Kimbers Customer Service is top notch. I sent my CDP II in for a new safety on a Monday night and had it back the following Monday.

Guest Verbal Kint

Something just draws me to the Kimber. What do you all think?

I think you need a WC Pro... and oh snap! There appears to be one for sale here in the trading post section. :koolaid:

:crazy:

Guest atomemphis

I have a Kimber Pro CDP II.

Great gun. I have since changed the recoil spring to a Wolff XP Spring, my grips are VZ slim grips, and I have a new non-plastic MSH on the way.

My big complaint: Came from the factor with the extractor a tad tight (which is why you might get a few FTRB's) and the black finish on the aluminum frame is really really easy to scratch.

All in all - I'm very happy with the purchase. My next 1911 will likely not be a Kimber though, time to be high-brow and try out a Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Customs.

Guest sling

Interesting tips guys. I wasnt aware that the Kimber had a plastic housing...

I think i'm really looking for a solid steel 1911. I think if i wanted a aluminium frame i'd pick up a Sig. I've heard quite a bit about the SS Springfields and may sway towards that instead. A good heavy gun. Thanks guys.

Guest atomemphis

Kimber makes steel frame 1911's also. An example would be the Kimber Pro Carry II (LG).

The LG denotation means steel frame.

I would assume the MSH on those are also steel.

My CDP is getting a billet aluminum MSH, so I maintain some weight savings over steel, with more ruggedness than plastic. The other reason is I had a great experience with VZ Grips, and I I figured I'd throw them another $37.00 and try their MSH.

Guest flyfishtn

As well, you may want to take a look at Springfield's Loaded lineup or their TRP. Great pistols, not outrageously priced and great customer service! :mad:

Guest sling

Went to Guns and Leather again and fondled a few 1911's today. Upon browsing some of the 1911 i had picked out a Kimber Pro Carry that i asked if they could just hide behind the counter because i was seriously intending to purchase it. He did. I slid down the aisle a little bit and was peaking at the HK's (my favorite) and spot P7 M8 in incredible shape..Now, i'm the guy that takes the 9mm side on the cartridge argument...

Needless to say i've always loved the way these things worked and the way they fit my hand. So, even though its not what i had originally came for, i left with something i honestly think i'd rather have. Picked it up for reasonable and they even knocked about 20 dollars off the end price as usual. I'm a happy customer. :)

Edited by sling
Find a Series 1 if you can.

If you get a Series 2, try to get one with an internal extractor. If you have any problems, Kimbers Customer Service is top notch. I sent my CDP II in for a new safety on a Monday night and had it back the following Monday.

Some people have had good luck with Kimbers CS, I however, and most of the people I know have had nightmare type service. After running less than 300 rounds through my Ultra CDP 2...every few rounds Id have a hang-up on the feed ramp or failure to eject. I wasn't impressed with the slide and barrel lockup either...being that its from their "custom shop." Anyways, gave them a call...they didnt return it...called them several times and they never returned my call...I finally got someone who didnt want to talk about it except "send it in." They said 2-3 weeks...it has now been 6 and they wont call me back. This is a reoccurring story I hear from many. What also bugs me is they only have a 1 year limited lifetime warranty!!! What kind of warranty is that for a pistol that costs what it does? Anyway...any pistol that is not capable of firing at least 500 consecutive failure free shots is not suitable for a defensive pistol to me (unless of course the ammo was bad or something.) As soon as it gets back someday, its getting traded toward something else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nraforlife

Save up and buy a Wilson or Les Baer

If you are doing some savings, go and get the Nighthawk Custom then.

Agreed and don't rule out the Dan Wesson stuff either...you get a lot for your money. Congrats on the P7...they are awesome...buy some mags for it while you can.

Guest atomemphis

My Kimber Customer Service call was returned very promptly and the guy was really friendly.

Methinks you got somebody on a bad day.

I am fortunate enough to own several High end guns, my first 1911's were Kimbers, they were good enough guns but since my income went up and I pretty much have my choice, I would advise you to look at Les Baer, for the money they make the best 1911 on the market, here is my fairly new TRS, I could not reccomend this more, save the extra few hundred to buy one, you will not regret it, I promise!IMG_0070-1.jpg

IMG_0074-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...