Thinking about picking up a new 1911

Guest sling

I shot the Les Baer that a friend had and wasnt especially impressed.

The Kimbers are coolest looking and best shooting guns I've probably seen. They also have terrible durability/reliability problems. They are like the Jaguars of the 1911 world, gorgeous when they work.

I picked up a Smith 1911PD scandium framed gun and still hope someone will buy it and save me from taking it home.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

I like sigarms, S&W, and taurus as building a good value for your money handgun. The smaller custom makers charge a premium, and I'm not sure for what exactly.

I think you'd be better off buying a cheap one (like a RIA) or just a frame, investing in a bar-sto barrel and whatever other goodies you want, and having a smith build it up for you with whatever finish you want.

Guest atomemphis
I like sigarms, S&W, and taurus as building a good value for your money handgun. The smaller custom makers charge a premium, and I'm not sure for what exactly.

That's easy! No MIM parts. No cheap, fragile breakable ambi safety, no trouble-prone cast parts. The quality of parts used on Ed Browns, as an example, far surpass those used on even a Kimber. Its the quality of steel used.

Furthermore, the fitment is actually done individually, not assembly line style with the high end makers, getting a custom gun made exactly the way you want it (Nighthawk Customs) is actually possible.

• Administrator
Which one is what?

Smith 1911PD, successor model to the SC. Scandium framed Commander-sized gun.

The more my wife talks about wanting a 1911, the more I keep thinking about that particular gun. Got any pics? Price?

I shot the Les Baer that a friend had and wasnt especially impressed.

The Kimbers are coolest looking and best shooting guns I've probably seen. They also have terrible durability/reliability problems. They are like the Jaguars of the 1911 world, gorgeous when they work.

I picked up a Smith 1911PD scandium framed gun and still hope someone will buy it and save me from taking it home.

Which model did you shoot? I have only shot my TRS and a friends Ultimate Master, they both impressed me....

• Administrator
I've been lusting after a 1911 for a while now. I've been eyeing Springfield Armory's MC Operator:

PX9105MLP.gif

Hornet Handler has one of those and I got a chance to shoot it a while back. It's a very nice gun. The Pachmayer grips make it a little thicker than I personally prefer, but it's a nice gun none the less.

Guest atomemphis

I flat out don't like the look of the pachmyer grips, however they feel pretty good from my experience. I like the slimness of the 1911, and so mine (which I carry) has slim grips from VZ Grips. Its very comfortable to shoot, and when I get a second 1911 (full size) it will have standard grips.

Going thicker than standard and it starts to feel like a double stack instead of a single.

Guest Disney

I would say to look for a Series 1 Kimber. I have a Series 1 Pro Carry SLE and have had great luck out of it. I of course got it used. I have since put probably 4000 rounds through it.

I have had some problems.....

1. I ran into a box of poor reloads that would not lock back the slide when the mag was empty.

2. I broke the extractor, replaced with Wilson.

3. People keep wanting to buy it.

Other than that it's been perfectly trouble free!!

Shameless glamour shot... I have since added a magwell and hit it with some serious polish. It's blingin....

Kimber.jpg

The 1911PD S&W is a really nice pistol that Rabbi has at his shop. I have been wrestling over buying it for weeks.

I already have three 1911's. I purchased a 220 Elite Carry from Rabbi so that kind of made it a mute point for right now according to the MRS. Somebody needs to own that gun.

Edited by R1100R

For my first one I picked up a Taurus PT-1911AR. My reasoning was I did not want to spend lots of money on a platform I was unfamilar with. I figured if I did like the 1911 style handgun, then I already had one and would hang on to it until I purchased others. Since then I have purchased 2 more! The finish on the Taurus sucks at best and I quickly had it DuraCoated. The Taurus is a great entry level 1911 that allows you to get familar with the workings of the gun, disassembly, etc. If I could figure out how to insert a $#%&* photo I would show you.

For my first one I picked up a Taurus PT-1911AR. My reasoning was I did not want to spend lots of money on a platform I was unfamilar with. I figured if I did like the 1911 style handgun, then I already had one and would hang on to it until I purchased others. Since then I have purchased 2 more! The finish on the Taurus sucks at best and I quickly had it DuraCoated. The Taurus is a great entry level 1911 that allows you to get familar with the workings of the gun, disassembly, etc. If I could figure out how to insert a $#%&* photo I would show you.

Upload your pics to Photobucket,then copy and past your linky here insertimage.gif

Something just draws me to the Kimber. What do you all think?

I have owned many 1911’s; most listed here. You can’t go wrong with a Kimber.

When I needed to replace my Kimber Custom TLE II, I bought a stainless Smith & Wesson. They were about the same money, same excellent quality, performed the same (to me); so it boiled down to the company. S&W won that hands down.

If your concern is choosing one of the top of the line 1911’s there really is no way to lose.

Guest kwikrnu

I owned a nice springfield professional and it was a nice looking gun and a real nice shooter. Everything was tight, and smooth. My wife liked that gun, but it was too much for her to pull the slide back. If you are looking to spend $2000-2200 and a 6 month wait or so that is a great choice.

Guest atomemphis

My buddy Matt got his new Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II tonight. He shot about 200 through it with zero problems. I had an over eager extractor (too tight) from the factory, but mine works great now.

Guest gcrookston

I used to be pretty finicky when it came to 1911's. Nothing after 1972 and nothing other than Colt or USGI. But, I've added a couple bastards to my collection... really impressed with the GSR and PT1911... compare well with my GMNM, for a fraction of the price.

DSC00069.jpg

Guest themark712

Great pics in this thread! Once I get my new carry pistol, my next purchase is going to be a 1911. To me, there is no firearm more beautiful than the 1911.

Guest atomemphis

+1. It is the first semiauto handgun to pop into mind when somebody says handgun.

Either that, or a silhouette of a revolver. Heck, its been in a gazillion movies.