TN urges NYC to use sound judgement in Graves case

This isn’t about a war with NY; this about that young woman’s freedom. To humbly ask for leniency in her case is one thing. To end that request with a threat should be criminal. If this impacts her negotiations with the NY DA in a negative way I hope she sues the crap out of the State of Tennessee and wins.

I’m still amazed that something so irresponsible could be allowed to be published by our legislature.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

I'm a peacnik and believe in amiability to all, but the mention of consequences, I don't think will make it any worse for the lady and might help.

Most politicians are bullies, and NYC pols definitely bullies. Schoolyard rules. If a bully pushes you push back. Might get some lumps for yer trouble, but otherwise the bully keeps pushing.

edit: The schoolyard rules don't apply for random adult encounters with unpleasant strangers. But they tend to apply to long-term relationships. Unless you like getting pushed around.

Edited by Lester Weevils
I'm not quite ready to go to war with NY state over an idiot, we already have those Georgia water thieves to worry about, and will need to muster the troops for that.

NY does need to lighten up and I would hate to see that woman's life destroyed trying to do the "right" thing.

I will reserve judgement about whether this lady is an idiot or not. Remember, we tend to look at things through our own prism. Most people on this forum are well aware of the gun laws of places like NY and CA. But not everyone who has a permit to carry is a "gun person".

Perhaps she was under the mistaken impression that the Constitution of the U.S. still applies even in NYC. After all, her driver's license and marriage are recognized by NY, right? So why wouldn't her license to carry a handgun be recognized?

I prefer to not call her an idiot without further proof of her mental incapacity. I also do not want to see her life ruined by evil, unConstitutional laws. Especially when she made a wholehearted effort to comply with the rules. She made a mistake. That's it.

Will

Here's the question I have that I haven't heard asked or addressed in all the coverage of this incident:

Why is there a "No Guns Allowed" sign at the 9/11 Memorial (or anywhere in NYC) if there are no guns allowed whatsoever?

If she had not seen this sign, or seen it and simply left, she might have no trouble. (Unless there are metal detectors at the memorial.)

Perhaps it would have been better to have a resolution to call for the Fed to prosecute Bloomberg for violation gun laws through straw purchases?

+++++1

I would love to see one of that idiot's private investigators get busted in the act of trying to make a straw purchase, booked, printed, and jailed.

Here's the question I have that I haven't heard asked or addressed in all the coverage of this incident:

Why is there a "No Guns Allowed" sign at the 9/11 Memorial (or anywhere in NYC) if there are no guns allowed whatsoever?

If she had not seen this sign, or seen it and simply left, she might have no trouble. (Unless there are metal detectors at the memorial.)

Well New York and New York City do issue their own permits...even if very rarely...

Guest HankRearden

She went to the city in the U.S. with arguably the most draconian firearms laws in existence.

These laws are among the most publicized and discussed in the country. So is New York City's long history of being anti gun.

I hope they grant her some kind of judicial diversion or dismissal but I find it highly unlikely because ignorance of the law is no excuse. Especially considering her obvious high degree of education and intelligence.

As permit holders it is incumbent upon us to know the laws of places we visit. Especially when traveling out of state.

Take it to the Supremes.

They won’t hear it; they have spoken.

In the meantime, New York City resident in Tennessee going 71 in a 70 zone gets a ticket. And their vehicle gets tossed for illegal weapons -- they shouldn't have ANY, seeing as they can't have them at home.

Taking it out on the residents of NY because New York City has an idiot for a mayor doesn’t do any good. And making ridiculous threats that good cops won’t back up doesn’t help this woman’s case any.

As a resident of Tennessee I would ask that NY show mercy to this woman and I apologize for any mindless threats that came from our legislature.

Taking it out on the residents of NY because New York City has an idiot for a mayor doesn’t do any good. And making ridiculous threats that good cops won’t back up doesn’t help this woman’s case any.

As a resident of Tennessee I would ask that NY show mercy to this woman and I apologize for any mindless threats that came from our legislature.

Amen

The 9/11 site is NY/NJ Port Authority property, not NYC property. That being the case, I'd say they probably have metal detectors or you get 'wanded' at the site, but I can't swear to it, since I myself have not been there to visit the memorial. If they decide to post a No Firearm sign, it's their privilage. The great state of TN have them posted all over the state on store fronts. Actually, folks can own a firearm in NYC. It's just difficult to get a handgun permit since it's not a 'shall issue' state. It's strictly up to the Police Commisioner of NYC. He's not a pro gun person. If a person lives outside of NYC boundries, then a judge or a police chief can issue permits as he feels it's needed , but to carry in NYC you must also have a NYC permit... In States that have' WILL issue' laws, you'll usually you'll get your permit in a resonable time , if you qualify with state law. There are tens of Thousands of legal gun owners in NYC & NYS combined. They just don't make it easy for the average person in many counties, to have a handgun. Rifles & Shotguns in most counties do not need any permit, but NYC you must have a permit even for them. $$$$$$$

So it's true that if she kept quiet and no detectores were there, she'd get away with it. I suspect she saw the detectors and made her comment. She really didn't do her homework with gun laws of NYC & NYS. She paid the price. If you bring a firearm into another state, there is a responcibility to know the gun laws in that state that you visit. You can discuss the 2nd Amend right to own & carry firearms all day. Until the laws reflect that right, you better read up on gun laws as most responciable folks do when transporting guns across State lines.

The 9/11 site is NY/NJ Port Authority property, not NYC property. That being the case, I'd say they probably have metal detectors or you get 'wanded' at the site, but I can't swear to it, since I myself have not been there to visit the memorial. If they decide to post a No Firearm sign, it's their privilage. The great state of TN have them posted all over the state on store fronts. Actually, folks can own a firearm in NYC. It's just difficult to get a handgun permit since it's not a 'shall issue' state. It's strictly up to the Police Commisioner of NYC. He's not a pro gun person. If a person lives outside of NYC boundries, then a judge or a police chief can issue permits as he feels it's needed , but to carry in NYC you must also have a NYC permit... In States that have' WILL issue' laws, you'll usually you'll get your permit in a resonable time , if you qualify with state law. There are tens of Thousands of legal gun owners in NYC & NYS combined. They just don't make it easy for the average person in many counties, to have a handgun. Rifles & Shotguns in most counties do not need any permit, but NYC you must have a permit even for them. $$$$$$$

So it's true that if she kept quiet and no detectores were there, she'd get away with it. I suspect she saw the detectors and made her comment. She really didn't do her homework with gun laws of NYC & NYS. She paid the price. If you bring a firearm into another state, there is a responcibility to know the gun laws in that state that you visit. You can discuss the 2nd Amend right to own & carry firearms all day. Until the laws reflect that right, you better read up on gun laws as most responciable folks do when transporting guns across State lines.

One would hope that prosecutorial discretion would be used here for the woman's sake. All the bluster by our legislators may not be as helpful in this regard as they intend, as it may push Bloomberg into a hardened position.

Hit her with a disturbing the peace charge so Hizzhonor doesn't lose face, and a citizen trying to do the right thing isn't sent to jail.