Music City Tactical Shooters - Intro to Competition Shooting 02/04/2012

Would you like to be better with a firearm? Would you like to shoot at multiple targets instead of the single paper targets at the mundane indoor ranges? Are you afraid of having other people see you shoot?

The purpose of an Intro to Competitive Shooting match is to create an environment friendly to shooters who have not yet participated in any type of practical pistol competition. This match contains all the elements that would be found in a regular match. You will be able to participate in this match with a minimum amount of equipment. The match is also being run as a BUG (back up gun) IDPA match.

You can shoot the match with either normal full size or small back up guns. Experienced competitors are encouraged to come participate in this match and help introduce the sport to interested shooters. This is also a chance to give those back up guns a work out.

This type of match is designed for people to get over the fear of competition shooting. The only way to get better with your shots is to practice with real world type scenarios that we hope to never encounter. It is for beginners, safe and responsible youths, significant others, newly acquired CCW holders and experience competition shooters. Just remember that if you would not use it to defend yourself on the street, it may not be the right choice for this event that is intended for real world scenarios and CCW/EDC.

Music City Tactical Shooters will be hosting a 14 Stage IDPA Introduction Match on 02/04/2011. It will be a great opportunity to experience competitive shooting match in a limited movement, round count so that every type of weapon is equal, non-competitive environment with some challenging stages. Our first attempt at this introduction to non-competitive shooters was our biggest turnout thus far at that time with 55 shooters presents wielding 35 plus brand new shooters. We will have experienced shooters there to display speed and accuracy on the stages when practice is done properly.

IDPA's principle is geared toward defensive pistol shooting. Competition shooting cannot replace training and training well. You will get what you put into it. However, shooting with a little pressure does tend to bring out our weaknesses. This shooting sport like many others is a game. We do strive for excellence in our stage designs to emulate real world scenarios and new shooters' experience. I too thought I was a good shot standing in front of a target wasting bullets while my weapon was pointing at the target. As most indoor ranges do not allow drawing from the holster(which I have not been to an indoor range in over 4 years so this may have changed), you cannot get the same type of experience at our range that you can other places. The competition shooting was the best thing that I took a chance on from the indoor ranges.

The duration and agenda of the day's events: Registration will be from 8 AM to 8:45. We will have a special new shooter's meeting at 8:45 with multiple safety officers depending on the turnout. We will start with rounds downrange after the all shooters' meeting. Individuals will squad up with a safety officer and will be with that person for the duration of the day's events(for example: if we have 40 shooters there will be 4 squads - 50 equals five squads and so forth). With the 7 shooting bays setup for the Intro match there should not be any backup/waiting by any squad. Whether it is 50 or 70 or more shooters we will still be finished around 12:30 that afternoon.

I am excited for the opportunity in presenting our club and the sport to everyone! If we have 90 separate entries(no multiple entries from one person) people competing in the match, I will let one of the Executive Committee members shave my long hair.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Max round count for each stage is 5(this way a 5 shot revolver has the same advantage as a Glock or 1911), There are 14 stages. No reloads on the clock. All weapons will be from the low ready position to begin each stage. Stages will be posted tonight on TGO and the website(www.mctsclub.com).

Edited by HOGNUT

Times and Fees

Times

• Set up 7:00 AM for anyone who wants to help.
  • New Shooter Orientation begins promptly at 8:30 AM.
  • Shooter's meeting 8:45 AM.
  • Match start time at 9:00 AM.

Match Fees

• Members: $10.00
  • Non-Members & 1st Time shooters: $20.00
  • Youth: $5.00

This will be a great time for anyone who ever thought about doing more than just standing at the range making holes. The hardest part about getting into competition shooting is actually going to your first match. At this match you will be able to get a taste of it without any intimidation or pressure. Come on out, be safe and I know you'll have fun.

Here are the stages that I put together for this match:

http://www.mctsclub.com/02042012_MCTS_Bug.pdf

These stages contain the basic elements that you will see in a normal match. This is a great way to get started without the pressure of trying to figure out how to shoot a complicated stage. They are also setup to challange you if you wish to shoot it with a BUG (back up gun), that j-frame or Glock 26 is a whole different animal once you put the pressure of a clock on you.

If you have been on the fence about trying competitive shooting then this is your perfect chance to get out there.

Look forward to seeing you on the range!

Any chances on another one of these coming about in March or April? I'd like to get into some competitive shooting, work keeps me away quite a bit though. I won't be able to attend the match in February. I have quite a bit of experience in combat style shooting and have done the combat pistol and rifle course at Mid-South Institute of Self-defense Shooting 3 times now on top of other courses. With that though I would like to start doing some competitions when I can. Any help or direction would be nice and another one of these beginners competitions would be even better.

LOL, bound and determined to shave these golden locks............

Doing my part. :cool:

If you have that much experience gunrunner you will be fine starting at any of our matches. We have first time shooters every match and walk them through the process. Just come on out the first time you get the chance, we would love to have you.

Read your rules and equipment list, I have one question what type of holster is generally used? I've grown accustomed to the Serpa holster, been carrying a Glock 19 in one for some time now. Also I have a question about pistol mods, I don't have anything crazy, no race guns or anything. I would be using a Sig P226 that has had some trigger work, night sights, Springco reduced recoil oprod, outside that it's factory. Is this gtg or would I need to put it back to factory condition? I will be looking to participate when work allows me the time to. Any other suggestions on equipment would be beneficial as well.

I'll have to get with you, CatsEye, being as I live in the Sango area of town.

For an intro match we aren't going to be nazi's on gun division rules. For SSP (stock service pistols) the modifications allowed are pretty slim, but you can move to ESP (enhanced service pistol) that allows more modifications. On holsters a strong side belt holster either IWB or OWB no worries. There much better holsters for reasonable money than a Serpa but if thats what you have come on out, just dont shoot yourself or me in the leg with it, LOL.

Here is a link to the IDPA rule book: http://idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

Equipment rules are on pages 17-27

Also for this intro / BUG match it is all going to be shot from a low ready position. So you dont even need a holster, just a case or pistol rug to transport between stages as there is no gun handling unless you are on the line to shoot or in a marked safe area. If you have a strong side holster thats great bring and use it but you wont be drawing on the clock for this match.

Hope this helps!

Edited by gsbell

I will bring a spare hair trimmer with me. I know some of you Executive Committee members are shady and will leave me with a monk style cut or shave it completely except the back if we reach 90 individuals competing. Better update all of my pictures before the 4th.