Music City Tactical Shooters - Intro to Competition Shooting 02/04/2012

Had a blast--beats shooting paper targets at the range by far! Well worth the drive from Murfreesboro to participate. I also enjoyed being in Alan's group and meeting all of you guys that make these events possible. Thank you and I look forward to competing as often as I can. Randall Phifer

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad everyone had a good time, next match is an IDPA classifier. This will determine your skill based classification that you compete in, join IDPA and come back Feb 18th to earn your classification. After the classifier our next IDPA match will be March 17th. Look forward to seeing all of you back on the range.

I encourage any other new shooters that didn't come because of the weather today, to come out for the classifier. It is a great match for new shooters to get a feel for what is going on. The classifier goes over all the basic IDPA skills; reloading, shooting from high/low cover, movement, drawing, and accuracy. All safe shooters are welcome. You do not need to be an IDPA or MCTS member to come out.(But we hope you will join.)

Please don't be intimidated by it being a shooting "competition". Everyone at the range is very supportive and encouraging to new shooters.

But you do need to join IDPA to have a classification, we will hold your classifier times for a bit if you have a pending membership

And to shoot our big sanctioned match in November. Last year Craig Buckland shot our match. He will be on Top Shot coming up in a few weeks.

Scores are up at the website..Here

okay i have a question, i was at this match with my glock 26 and it had some issues knocking over the steel target, not enough power so im going to get a bigger glock but which is better for idpa / concealed carry a .40 cal or a .45

okay i have a question, i was at this match with my glock 26 and it had some issues knocking over the steel target, not enough power so im going to get a bigger glock but which is better for idpa / concealed carry a .40 cal or a .45

A 9mm G26 shouldn't have any problem knocking down steel. Most people use 9mm for IDPA except for CDP division which is .45

Guest Travtastik

We were talking about this on the way home yesterday. Seen a few shots from 9mm and 38's that left the steal standing. My buddy was convinced it was a lack of power, but I thought it was more of a shot placement issue. It seemed like shots that were low or hit the edge were the problem.

We were talking about this on the way home yesterday. Seen a few shots from 9mm and 38's that left the steal standing. My buddy was convinced it was a lack of power, but I thought it was more of a shot placement issue. It seemed like shots that were low or hit the edge were the problem.

you are correct. if you hit it low it doesn't move no matter what caliber you use. A .22 will take it down at the top or the center

Camp, I remember that particular stage where you hit the popper three or four times before it fell. The hits that didn't drop it were a bit low of center. I had to make two hits on that same popper with my Glock 19.

Also, I feel like I should apologize. By the time you were getting quite frustrated with it, I was laughing at the whole situation. :lol:

You have to shoot a custom loaded 147 vs a factory 115 sometime it is a vast difference. Catch me after a match and I'll let you shoot some of my 147 loads.

What would you say the general differences are?

Camp, I remember that particular stage where you hit the popper three or four times before it fell. The hits that didn't drop it were a bit low of center. I had to make two hits on that same popper with my Glock 19.

Also, I feel like I should apologize. By the time you were getting quite frustrated with it, I was laughing at the whole situation. :lol:

What would you say the general differences are?

The heavier bullets are more consistent on steel, and to me have less felt recoil.

The heavier bullets are more consistent on steel, and to me have less felt recoil.

I wonder how much speed difference from a 3.5 in barrel (G26) to a 5in barrel?

On stage 7 the big popper fell slow. I chickened out on going after the two little poppers before hitting the clam. One guy in my squad tried and missed. But it was a valiant effort.

Yes there are two ranges with two different clubs there in Dickson. Music City Tactical Shooters (IDPA) and North Tennessee Practical Shooters (USPSA)

IDPA is a spin off from USPSA in an attempt to be more "practical"

IDPA is limited to more practical guns, concealment, cover, and 18 rounds max per stage

USPSA has both practical and race guns, no concealment or cover and 32 rounds max per stage

I want to thank Gary for being such a great Safety Officer. This was my wife and I first time shooting this style we have only shot at indoor ranges. We both had a great time, Gary was very helpful, not intimidating, gave tips not making you feel stupid or intimidated and he was just an all around pleasure to shoot with. The entire group was great. Everyone made my wife feel comfortable, and she wants to come out again soon. This gave us a lot of insight on what we need to work on, and how we can be better. By watching others you really learn a lot and it's a great environment for any gender. We even brought a sick friend that was visiting out for the day, she thought it was neat, and felt welcomed.

Thanks for a great day,

Jeremy

Edited by MidTNKayakAngler