just ordered a Ruger SR22

JoeJ615

i know the gun has been out less than a month but i've been drooling for one since i first saw a video review on youtube about 3 weeks ago, been calling around all the local shops for the last week but most of them didnt even know the gun existed lol ... so i log into youtube this morning and see my favorite gun reviewer hickok45 has uploaded a new video on what else but the SR22, i took it as a sign and ordered one online for $308 (good deal i thought) but watching hickok's vid he had a few FTF's where the gun seemed to fail to pick up the next round ... i've seen several other seemingly credible video reviews claiming to have shot every kind of bulk elcheapo ammo they could find and couldnt get the gun to malfunction for trying to, so im hoping hickok's T&E SR22 is the exception to the rule (then again he was running tracers through it so maybe it was supremely dirty? i hear those things foul up a gun like nothing else) anyone have one of these yet? how reliable has it been and what kinds of ammo have you fed it? im loving the look of the gun and getting it in large part to get my wife shooting with me .. but im hoping for reliability along the lines of my MkIII 22/45 or am i setting the bar too high for a new gun?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ochretoe

I looked at that gun two weeks ago at the LGS. It is a really nice gun. It was so new the guy working at the gun store hadn't even seen it. When my money situation improves I will have one.

Guys on the Ruger forums and RFC are reporting slide wear caused by the slide stop. Noone has pinpointed exactly why though many suspect that the slide stop wasn't properly filed and had rough edges. Be sure to check that out on yours.

Also, check your barrel screw torque before you start shooting. Some of the guns were shipped with that bolt a little loose.

Hickok45 once again great review. I'm waiting till they come out with one with the optional threaded barrel.

i havent seen my owners manual yet so total heresay as of now, but i heard on some forums that on page 25 ruger claims that they will offer an aftermarket threaded barrel but it isnt in the ruger store yet (the barrel comes out with one allen head screw inside the trigger guard)

Congrats on your new Walther...........excuse me, Ruger.

lol yeah i know it looks WAY similar and i have actually been tempted by the walther but heard too many stories of breakages and bad reliability to make me want to roll the dice and hope for a good one .... i just have a (misguaided?) sense of trust with ruger when it comes to rimfire reliability being the proud owner of a MkIII 22/45 and a 10-22 that function flawlessly

I like the new Ruger SR22. I thought it was a copy of the P22 when I first saw it online. It is not. I have had two in my hands. However I have had to fiddle with one guy's mag lips to fix a stove pipe problem that hasn't presented itself with the other provided mag. If I didn't have half a dozen great shooting .22 pistols I would be in line for this one. In six months I think it will beat all the pot metal .22 pistols it competes against. However it is not a MKIII, if you want to make tiny groups with some trigger work on the MKIII.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Being a big Ruger fan myself I am really surprised that they did seem to copy so much of the P22. The SR22 certainly does not resemble any of the other "SR" series pistols.

But having said that I will most likely have one myself as soon as enough get out there and more personal reviews come in, I really dont expect them to have any major problems.

I have had a Walther P22 for several years but have not ever had any of the problems with mine that some others have had with theirs. That could be because all I have ever fed mine was the CCI mini-mags which seems to be the round that they like the most, of course I have no way of knowing that for sure. I also only use it as a plinker and would not carry it unless it was all that I had, same as any 22.

I do know that if Ruger makes it that I am probably going to like it and that I have yet to buy a Ruger that turned out to be a problem child.

I hope that you get yours soon and that it serves your intended purpose well. Keep us posted.

I have shot 2 now.

It is much, much better than the walther. The walther, I cannot make anything even resembling a group past just a few yards. The ruger made a fair group at 20 yards, I did not measure it but I would say 3 inches or so. It felt a little heavier, which I liked. The grip was too small and the trigger too close for me to enjoy the gun, but it would be great for someone with small hands (say, a 10 year old). The trigger was literally inside my first knuckle (the one closest to my palm). It has other backstraps but we tried them and it was not much better with the largest. Apart from this issue (which the walther also has but the walther may be a little farther apart from grip to trigger), it seems to be a well made example of this design. It ate some 5 different brands of cheap ammo without any problems but did not care for, of all things, the high grade standard velocity target ammo (not strong enough for it until after break in??).

I picked 1 a couple of weeks ago.

First 100 rounds about 10 ftf's and the barrel screw came loose. Took it apart cleaned added a drop of Med locktie.

Next 100 a out 5 ftf's. Cleaned and checked, no loose screw.

Next 50 flawless. All with Wally federal bulk pack ammo.

I have a Walther P-22. I runs great and is fun to shoot but you will not win any shooting matches with it. Ruger tends to copy a design and make it better.

I own more Rugers than any other brand. They are just well made fire arms. I'm going to wait on the SR22 until they work the kinks out, they may have done so already. BUT I will probably add one to my collection.

Bisley Vaquero .357

GP-100

SP-101

Mark III Hunter

Mark II 6"BB

Single Six 9.5"

Single Six 6.5"

LC9

I've got one on layaway. I wanted to lay claim to one and lock in the price while not having all the cash at the moment to buy it outright. I hop to have it in my eager hands by the enf of the month. I had been looking at getting a 22/45 soon. I like hammer fired and liked the look of the Walther but have seen too many stories about problems with them. After seeing some positive reviews of the SR22 I went with that instead of the 22/45. My guess is that, based on the praise I've seen of the 22/45, the SR22 probably won't match it for accuracy but it is closer in style/layout to my others and looks much much easier to take down and clean than the 22/45. Looking forward to hearing how yours does.