Any levergun lovers out there?

I just recently purchased a long gun I've been wanting since I was a kid -- a really nice pre '64 Winchester '94 in .30-.30. Yep, I paid too much but I finally got tired of waiting for the perfect deal.

Actually, it's the only long gun I have now.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 70below

I love 'em too. I shot my first caribou with a pre-64 Win .30-30. I've still got it, a newer 94, and used to love a marlin golden 39a until my dad gave it to a friend of his as a gift......hopefully someday I'll find another, otherwise I'll probably get a henry. I'd love one of the '06 levers and a .357 or .44 lever.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is "Thumper"

Thumper.jpg

Marlin 1895g wearing a Leupold 2-7 and a custom sling. It really sings with a 405 grain bullet at 1650fps. Wouldn't think that it would be a shooter from the looks of it either...can make all of the holes touch at 50 yards.

It won't be for target shooting as a penny is hard to see unless the sun hits it right at 100 yards with 7x, but you could hit a coke can at that distance every time no problem. For all practical purposes I think 2-7 is just about right for a 45/70. Could get you a deer/pig from 0-200 yards with enough velocity. I like it because of the 2x rather than the 7x...that and it is light and compact.

I do have to say that the "Scout" configuration in a earlier post is much cooler option if you don't mind paying a little more for a pistol scope.

Guest Centennial

I have a Marlin 39A that is an older one and is great fun to hunt and plink with. Lever action rifles are truly American. I love 'em!:cool:

My first deer rifle was a Winchester Model 94. It was purchased from Woolco at the 100 Oaks Mall in Nashville in the late 70s. Cost, $88 dollars.

I killed my first deer with it, so did my son.

Been in love with levers ever since.

Guest grimel
whats the sight picture like on the 7x setting at 100yards? ive got a 1895 coming in and got to figure out a good scope

Either get the XS Ghost Ring or a 2/2.5x fixed. Maybe an aimpoint/holosight. If I need to reach more than 200yds, I'll get my 308.

Guest GLOCK2340

The first "real" rifle besides .22 that I got was a Marlin 30/30 my Dad got me for Xmas. I have been in love with it ever since! I have killed many a deer with it. I have however kinda backed away from it since I got a .270 a few years ago. But I am dying to try out that new leverevolution ammo. Anyone used it?

Guest grimel
But I am dying to try out that new leverevolution ammo. Anyone used it?

Haven't shot any critters with it, but, my GG likes it AND 45/70 leverevolution is cheaper than Win/Rem/Fed regular ammo. Bought 4 boxes to get the brass. I might just buy a couple of boxes for hunting and reload for practice.

I would consider anything less than $300 a good deal, based on the condition. Of course, depending on the location, you may be able to get it down to the ~250 range. I recently got a mint condition Win 94E 30/30 for $200 at a pawn shop in Chatt.

Best of Luck!!!!

I saw a Marlin 30/30 in good shape for $285 the other day. I almost bought it, but I don't have any idea if that is a good price or not. Anyone know?

I don’t know how often they do it, but Dick’s had Marlin 336’s with a scope for $319.