Just got an M&P15 Sport and want some input on modding it

Guest MLC

So, I just got this thing brand new last weekend from the gunshow at the fairgrounds. I was trying to trade my Golani(Century version of a Galil which is actually an awesome gun) for one but the guy who was selling the one I got only wanted to give me $400 for my gun. I ended up finding a guy who gave me $650 for it with 3 mags and went straight to the M&P15. I havent fired it yet but it looks/feels like a great rifle. There are a few things, though, that I want to change about it and wanted get ya'lls input

Front sight/gas block: I want to get rid of the standard "F stamped" front sight and gas block. I havent decided if I want a super low profile block, one with rails top and bottom, or one with a pop up front sight built in. I guess those plans will also have some bearing on my next mod question.

Forearm: I havent decided exactly what I want to do, the only thing I DO know is that I dont want a quad rail. Thats the only thing I'm dead set against. I really like the style that are roundish but allow you to put rails on them in virtually any combination or none at all. Also, whats ya'lls take on free floating it or not? If I dont free float it I'll need carbine lenght but if I do float it I'd be willing to go up to 12" max, along with some sort of low profile gas block. The ultimate for me would be something in carbon fiber but I dont want to spent more than ~$150 on this part.

Sights/Optics: Right now its got a standard front sight and a Magpul MBUS rear. Depending on how I go on the forearm and gasblock setup I'll have a few options. What I do know is that I want a folding front sight, either one built into the gas block or a front MBUS mounted somehow. I plan on haveing a couple options for this rifle optics wise with one of them being a Weaver 3x9 40mm scope on some sort of quick disconnect mount system. I also plan on getting some sort of EOtech, likely the 512. Any advise on which route to go on front sight? Who do ya'll like for a quick disconnect 1" scope mount. Anybody wanna talk me out of the EOtech 512 or anybody know of a place that sells em at a good price?

Well, those are the things I want to do to it right now. I'm sure I'll want to change more stuff(buttstock for sure) but for now thats my list. Ya'll got anything else you'd advise me to change right from the start? Thanks for any advise! Oh, heres a camera phone pic. Nothing much yet, but ya gotta start somewhere...

425807_10150678897574180_775939179_11366671_2000397668_n.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the front sight may be a pain, if it is pinned like mine was, YHM makes a tube like you want that should be in your prince range. i myself like the rifle length tube on a 16" gun. samson also makes a nice one with only one rail on top. hogue also makes a over molded one but i do not think you can add rails

QD mount Vortex which is a American Defence or Larue, all 3 are at or about the $200 mark made usa.

buis will not work with a scope. just leave them off. they would work with the eotech, but my 2 cents not needed, if it is a oh s--t issue if they are in the window of the ectech you will have hit. unless of cousre oh s--t for you is say 35 yards and greater.

but that is just me.

Guest NYCrulesU

I'm keeping a look out for you , I know you've been looking for a while.....

And I really appreciate it. Thank you again.

I'm pretty much thinking (hoping) that the coming show in Sparta on the weekend of March 24 will land me one. I hate to wait a whole month, but not much of a choice.

I refuse to buy one from Outdoor Junction. While it's my favorite gun shop...I'm not paying $800 for a $650 gun.

I got the same gun. I was interested in another forum member's foregrip( weaver mounts). that i ordered one from here:

http://www.botachtactical.com/tdix6.html

Couldn't beat $50 for an aluminum rail. Also found a collapsable vertical handgrip on Ebay( it is cheap, but it works). I'm not going to put a whole lot into this, it's not like i'm going into combat or something like that. But may decide on a flashlight mount for the AR or my Mossberg 535 tactical.

Seems i got into another expensive hobby. :wall:

Guest NYCrulesU

I got the same gun. I was interested in another forum member's foregrip( weaver mounts). that i ordered one from here:

http://www.botachtactical.com/tdix6.html

Couldn't beat $50 for an aluminum rail. Also found a collapsable vertical handgrip on Ebay( it is cheap, but it works). I'm not going to put a whole lot into this, it's not like i'm going into combat or something like that. But may decide on a flashlight mount for the AR or my Mossberg 535 tactical.

Seems i got into another expensive hobby. :wall:

We're men...they are all expensive lol

I have atving as my main hobby( least that is paid for). Only thing expensive now it seems is the gas to go riding anywhere( and i have to almost go out of county to ride anywhere decent).

My main gun collection is about complete. I may go for a 1911 someday but when i set out i wanted a pistol, a shotgun and an AR-15. Not to mention my first fire-arm was a 10/22 and i still have it.

And I really appreciate it. Thank you again.

I'm pretty much thinking (hoping) that the coming show in Sparta on the weekend of March 24 will land me one. I hate to wait a whole month, but not much of a choice.

I refuse to buy one from Outdoor Junction. While it's my favorite gun shop...I'm not paying $800 for a $650 gun.

Wish you were in East Tenn. I just got a new one from my distributor yesterday. We sell them for $619.00.

Guest NYCrulesU

Wish you were in East Tenn. I just got a new one from my distributor yesterday. We sell them for $619.00.

I would take it in a heart beat and have cash in hand. Dang travel distance!

Just opened a shop this week. eRay Sales, 320 Tenn Ave, Etowah. Selling utility trailers and handguns. Open Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Only got in about 40 new handguns so far but have about 35 more on order.I'm only selling handguns but have gotten in two of the S&W Sport AR's so far just because they sell so fast and are allocated to dealers.If you get down this way stop in and say hello.

eRay

Just opened a shop this week. eRay Sales, 320 Tenn Ave, Etowah. Selling utility trailers and handguns. Open Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Only got in about 40 new handguns so far but have about 35 more on order.I'm only selling handguns but have gotten in two of the S&W Sport AR's so far just because they sell so fast and are allocated to dealers.If you get down this way stop in and say hello.

eRay

I'm near Decature right now, if you're we're open Thurs I'd come by tonight. I'll try to swing by in the next couple weeks.

I really liked the look of the Magpul MOE handguards and was all set to purchase them until I saw pictures of accessories mounted to them. I just didn't like the way it looked. I was not too hip on making my AR any heavier with most of the quad rail systems out there. I saw the Midwest Industries drop-in quad rails and I bought it. It weighs 9 ounces for the midlength which is pretty light.

DSC01343.jpg