Classes offered at Coal Creek or Frontier Firearms (or others near Knoxville)

Anyone taken any of the classes offered at either of these two places; besides the standard TN HCP course.

I have my permit, but looking to take some more advanced tactical, self defense, combat shooting courses. Not really interested in competitive marksmanship shooting, more looking for real world skills.

Can't really afford to go (far) away for 2-4 tactical class, looking for something kinda local.

looking for any feedback on either of these places, instructors, courses, etc. . .

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Anyone taken any of the classes offered at either of these two places; besides the standard TN HCP course.

I have my permit, but looking to take some more advanced tactical, self defense, combat shooting courses. Not really interested in competitive marksmanship shooting, more looking for real world skills.

Can't really afford to go (far) away for 2-4 tactical class, looking for something kinda local.

looking for any feedback on either of these places, instructors, courses, etc. . .

I personally dislike CCA. They seem to enjoy hiring typical arrogant gun-counter jockies though admittadly it's been a few years since I've been. I usually go to Frontier's range because it's a nice range and it's convenient though the owner came on here before and made an ass of himself. I can't speak to their courses as I haven't experienced any courses at either place.

Edited by bkelm18

I've not taken classes as ether CCA or FF. I will day that FF staff have always been friendly and accommodating when I've been there but I haven't really had any problems with CCA either for that matter.

As far as training, there are certainly good places to train in Tennessee but the two I tend to recommend is "Rangemasters" in Memphis and "Tactical Response" in Camden. Both are a bit far from Knoxville but I don't think they are far enough away to take them out of consideration. Also, at Tactical Response, you can stay in the team room for free when taking a multi-day class.

Guest harryjordan

Seems like alot of money these classes. I'm no instructor or expert but you are welcome to come shoot with me I go most everyday. I spent 8 years in the Infantry and shoot several times a week. If you are inexperenced there are several things i could teach you if not maybe you could teach me. I shoot only pistols but am very familiar with shotguns, AR 15, and several sniper rifles.

Guest bkelm18

Seems like alot of money these classes. I'm no instructor or expert but you are welcome to come shoot with me I go most everyday. I spent 8 years in the Infantry and shoot several times a week. If you are inexperenced there are several things i could teach you if not maybe you could teach me. I shoot only pistols but am very familiar with shotguns, AR 15, and several sniper rifles.

Quality training is worth every penny.

I agree with bkelm18 (surprise :) )

It's very true that an experienced shooter can pass on a lot of good information to a newer/less experienced one and I certainly appreciate all the guys who have passed along their knowledge to me; I try to do the same thing. However, after having taken a few classes with professional trainers, I can say that it really is true that a good class taught buy a professional is worth every penny.

I think the group at CCA are overall a good bunch. I have heard favorable reports regarding the training available and for the time and money it would be a good place to start. Randy with Suarez Int. is a fantastic instructor and I would highly recommend him. It does run into a little money though. The important thing is that documented, formal training may not only really save your life, it may help you should you wind up in court for some firearm related issue.

There are 2 classes coming up in Chattanooga posted by Cruel Hand Luke. Look in the "tactics and training" forum. I think it's $225 for the Pistol class on Sat, and $225 for the Andcanced Clas on Sun. I would go if I had the time and money!

Thanks for the plug Lumber_Jack (and Chances R) .

The classes in Chattanooga in March can be found here.......http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/43523-high-intensity-combat-skills-weekend-march-23-25-chattanooga/. These are 1 day stand alone classes. That way you can come see what we do 1 day without having to stay for a whole weekend (or pay for a whole weekend) or if you like you can do 2 or 3 days.

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke

Although the classes in Chattanooga are $225, they are also about 8 hours of instructors who do the classes nationally (I think). That comes out to $28.13 per hour. Far less than than what you'd pay for private instruction at a local range (avg $60/hr) with high quality instruction (from what I've read).

As someone else mentioned, you get what you pay for.

Although the classes in Chattanooga are $225, they are also about 8 hours of instructors who do the classes nationally (I think). That comes out to $28.13 per hour. Far less than than what you'd pay for private instruction at a local range (avg $60/hr) with high quality instruction (from what I've read).

As someone else mentioned, you get what you pay for.

The classes in Chattanooga also get a discount if you take more than 1. They are $225 per class for 1 , $200 per class for 2, add the shotgun class for $175 So the more you add the more you save per class. Check it out here.......http://www.suarezint...tanooga-tn.aspx

And it is true you do generally get what you pay for.

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest goomba

I don't have any experience with the two places you mentioned. but I have taken several classes with Randy Harris and can highly recommend him. the classes with Randy are worth the cost. as for in the Knoxville area I would check with mike crow at Austins TN firearms in oak ridge. I took my NRA pistol instructor and range safety officer classes from hom last year. he is a very competent instructor as well. Ive seen that paul gomez also offers some classes in your area, I would also check with him. hope that helps some.

Thanks to "Gotthegoods" here at WT there will be another option for training in Knoxville in June !!

He will be hosting me for the Suarez International Close Range Gunfighting class in Knoxville June 23-24 . I'll post more info here once it is up on the Suarez website class schedule.

Looking forward to this!