Approached by beggar at the gas pump

Last time I had this happen to me, I saw the guy hitting up another customer, so I was prepared. He started to walk towards me, and I just stopped him in his tracks. I shouted out to hi to "keep on walking." Every time he started to speak, I would interrupt him, with something like "I don't care" or "I don't want to hear about it". It totally threw him off and he walked away mumbling something under his breath.

I usually keep a $5 Mcdonalds gift card in my wallet and try to keep an inexpensive Bible in my truck to give to the beggars. I know they won't be getting beer with that gift card. Sure they might be able to use what food cash they have for beer now, but at least they will have to get food with what I gave them. Also, I don't want them to go buy beer and drugs with the money, but if you give someone some cash to get something to eat and they spend it on booze, you still did a good thing...if they choose to spend it unwisely, it is on them.

• Like 1

Two things.

First, in regard to the OC target/deterrent conversation... I think there is a point to be made about the greater ease of access to your weapon when you OC. Personally, I normally only carry concealed. But if I know I'm going into a situation where I won't have much time to draw (like at a gas pump where somebody can walk up behind the pump and be 3 feet away before I see him) I make sure there's nothing to slow down my draw or cause me to fumble. Same goes for in the car, in a tight hallway, etc.

Second, as for reaction to an approaching beggar, my technique is similar to analog_kid. While taking a step or two back I say in a loud voice, "I don't want any trouble! Leave me alone! I don't have anything for you!"

I used to have a martial arts instructor who advised shouting that kind of phrase (e.g. "Don't hurt me!") regardless of whether you're scared. He saw it as as a sort of escalation of force that

1. frightens and embarrasses a BG

2. gets people (every potential witness within earshot) to look at you, backing away from BG and apparently really scared of him

3. helps you prove to a jury that you faced a determined assailant who couldn't be deterred save by force.

• Like 1

Call me a sucker, but I have been approached several times at a gas station, etc... I usually always give them something. I have no idea whether it is legitmiate or not, probably not, but I can't help myself. I think that is one of the reasons people do this, because they know that eventually someone is going to give them something.

• Like 1

Call me a sucker, but I have been approached several times at a gas station, etc... I usually always give them something. I have no idea whether it is legitmiate or not, probably not, but I can't help myself. I think that is one of the reasons people do this, because they know that eventually someone is going to give them something.

Yeah, me too, I keep ones and fives in same pocket as gun, so I generally give them one or the other. :)

Seriously, though, I walk a lot to downtown, so I run across any number of street people, and generally give 'em a couple bucks, sometimes before they ask. Few times I've given a double sawbuck to folks in small hobo jungles when I walk the urban RR tracks. I see it as partially in lieu of a "tithe".

- OS

• Like 1
Guest infinity40

Gas pumps are easy...

When you see the nefarious person approaching just pull the nozzle out of the tank with one hand and the Bic from your pocket with the other. Point the nozzle at the victim-maker and start flicking the bic.

It works for me... ;-)

Guest uofmeet

A buddy of mine is a cop in memphis. Some days he would have to do a bum round-up. I don't know about other palaces, but every bum in memphis name is james.

I had an incident similiar to Thunderbolt. I has a person approach me at the BP tavel stop 1 exit north of S. Pittsburg asking for money to buy a tire at the Wal-Mart in S. Pittsburg saying he couldn't make it any futher on the interstate on his little spare. I turned him away and saw him driving away in a car with no little spare and entering the interstate going north toward Chattanogga not south to S. Pittsburg.

Guest 6.8 AR

When I'm at the gas pump and someone approaches me I think to be suspect,

I do like Mike said and assert to him to back off. They will know I am carrying.

However, I like infinity40's answer. Haven't thought of that one:D

I'm over being generous to that kind. Don't feed the bears.

Are you saying the shady character didn't have bad intentions and just happened to back of after seing the handgun?

No, I am saying that there is no way of knowing whether or not the shady character had bad intentions. In this case, bad intentions or not it does sound like the sight of a handgun made the guy decide that he wanted to be somewhere else.

I am also saying that, while the sight of the openly carried handgun ended contact, in this case, carrying a handgun openly in a situation where the legal carrier wasn't aware of the shady character slipping up on him created an opportunity for the shady character to take the legal carrier's firearm and use it against him. In other words, both styles of carry have their pros and cons, risks and benefits, etc. I am glad the whole thing worked out okay for the OP but, because there was the possibility for the firearm to be visible to a potential assailant of whom the OP was not initially aware, things could have gone badly.

Edited by JAB

No, I am saying that there is no way of knowing whether or not the shady character had bad intentions. In this case, bad intentions or not it does sound like the sight of a handgun made the guy decide that he wanted to be somewhere else.

I am also saying that, while the sight of the openly carried handgun ended contact, in this case, carrying a handgun openly in a situation where the legal carrier wasn't aware of the shady character slipping up on him created an opportunity for the shady character to take the legal carrier's firearm and use it against him. In other words, both styles of carry have their pros and cons, risks and benefits, etc. I am glad the whole thing worked out okay for the OP but, because there was the possibility for the firearm to be visible to a potential assailant of whom the OP was not initially aware, things could have gone badly.

I agree there are pros and cons for both ways. Also even though we should have situational awareness at all times anyway...if you do OC you should be even more so aware of who and what is going on around you.

I agree there are pros and cons for both ways. Also even though we should have situational awareness at all times anyway...if you do OC you should be even more so aware of who and what is going on around you.

I agree. Also, I didn't mean my post to be a criticism of the OP. I think I was simply putting myself in the situation and thinking that such possibilities are why I tend to prefer at least 'casually concealed' carry (doesn't mean everyone should.) I like to think that I generally maintain pretty good situational awareness but know myself well enough to realize that I sometimes get distra...oooh, look at the birdie!

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

I agree. Also, I didn't mean my post to be a criticism of the OP. I think I was simply putting myself in the situation and thinking that such possibilities are why I tend to prefer at least 'casually concealed' carry (doesn't mean everyone should.) I like to think that I generally maintain pretty good situational awareness but know myself well enough to realize that I sometimes get distra...oooh, look at the birdie!

OK dude. You owe me a keyboard. I just spat coffee all over it reading your funny post. Oo SHINY!

Guest nicemac

Yeah, me too, I keep ones and fives in same pocket as gun, so I generally give them one or the other. :)

Seriously, though, I walk a lot to downtown, so I run across any number of street people, and generally give 'em a couple bucks, sometimes before they ask. Few times I've given a double sawbuck to folks in small hobo jungles when I walk the urban RR tracks. I see it as partially in lieu of a "tithe".

- OS

Most social workers and police officers would likely agree that doing so funds their drug/alcohol use/abuse. That some people give is the very reason they continue to panhandle-because it works.

Guest ArmaDeFuego

Also, I don't want them to go buy beer and drugs with the money, but if you give someone some cash to get something to eat and they spend it on booze, you still did a good thing...if they choose to spend it unwisely, it is on them.

I dont agree with that. Its never a good idea to give a drunk a drink.

If they are really down on their luck there are places they can go. But again, it all goes back to my thing that the situation they are in is as a result of their own decisions. I dont blame other people for their mistakes, but they should pay for them & not bum off me to help them out.

Guest 270win

Spend some time in Memphis. You can't go anywhere in Memphis, especially downtown Memphis, without dealing with druggie panhandlers. It is a big hassle and problem here because most are repeat criminals.

Guest GregK

This topic here is the number 1 reason why I carry now... It doesnt matter what part of Memphis area your in or what time of day it is. It might not happen to you everyday, but it is going to happen more than once. Some decent looking people and some not so decent looking people, your going to here some kind of story why they need money, or what they want to sell you for money. My last encounter, dude wanted to sell me a MATA bus ticket for 5 dollars. I only go to a store by my house now, its not a bad part of town but even there people have asked for money.. And if they see you smoking a cigarette, they think you automatically have to give them one... I do road construction all over the area. Its not just Memphis, its everywhere around here.

Guest 6.8 AR

Charity begins at home, so the saying goes. It applies to the beggar, also.

Give to the beggar at your own peril. Don't feed the bears!

Anyone who doesn't have the ability to contact friends or family for help, is one who is a user and more than likely not to be trusted. ;)

I have always said "It says a lot about someone when the people who know them best refuse to help them." Generally people who beg from total strangers have already alienated and or lost all their friends and family through bad behavior.

• Like 1
Guest 270win

GregK,

I'm surprised you are having problems in Bartlett. Bartlett PD does a pretty good job and make a lot of patrols. I don't live in Memphis itself but always carry a gun when I go there because the criminals seem to have no fear even in the daytime when you have to work/do business. Most places I've lived or been to in this area of the country are ok in the daytime in decent areas, like Nashville or Knoxville. It is difficult to get away from it here and sad it is so bad that I feel the need to carry a gun when I go to Memphis.

Reading thru this thread got me thinking about a gas stop I had to make on Rossville Blvd. last spring ( before getting laid off ).

August before last I'd had surgery on my left shoulder to repair torn muscles and remove bits of bone from the shoulder joint.Missed 4 months of work,then fell off the top rung of an 8ft ladder and reinjured it my first week back to work.The reason I'm posting that part will become apparent in a minute.

Living in north Ga. I worked in north Chatt.Usually ran the interstate all the way home,but that evening my truck was sitting dead on empty and traffic was backed up in the ridge cut on 24.So I got off 24 at Rossville for a quick gas stop.Fairly early in the evening.4:30 - 5:00pm

Since I don't use credit or check cards,I started in to pay for some gas when this scruffy looking younger ( late 20s early 30s ) guy starts up to me.I told him to stop while he was still on the other side of my truck.He asked for some money and I told him to go on,I had nothing for him,then started on toward the door.Just as I got to the door,this guy ran up and grabbed my left wrist,pulling my bad arm behind me.That was the closest I've even came to killing somebody.

I OC only,but that day I had on a long sleeve shirt because it was cool and I'd been welding all day,so my pistol was covered.But I don't remember drawing my weapon or disengaging the thumb safety.I do remember him falling over backward just as the front sight came inline with his forehead.I would NOT have been justified in pulling the trigger and really don't know what stopped me from shooting,but I didn't shoot.

Called 911 and had an officer there in a just a few seconds plus what few wittnesses gave their view.

Edited by Yote

GregK,

I'm surprised you are having problems in Bartlett. Bartlett PD does a pretty good job and make a lot of patrols. I don't live in Memphis itself but always carry a gun when I go there because the criminals seem to have no fear even in the daytime when you have to work/do business. Most places I've lived or been to in this area of the country are ok in the daytime in decent areas, like Nashville or Knoxville. It is difficult to get away from it here and sad it is so bad that I feel the need to carry a gun when I go to Memphis.

I always remember my father carrying his Colt Diamondback.
Guest GregK

GregK,

Bartlett PD does a very good job.. So good, I dont go 1 mph over speed limit anymore lol.. We all know police cannot be everywhere all the time. Just last night around 9:00, I stopped at Kroger. Guy sitting on the bricks right in front of the door ask me and then the man behind me if one of us could carry him down the street.... Like somebody else said, dont burn your family and you wont have to try to depend on the public