Soon to be new purchase

Guest Brianf88

Guest Brianf88

Well not soon since I was quoted 20-22 months!! (not typo). I have been debating on which 1911 for awhile and I am going with what felt the best in my hand and what I been trying to talk myself out of for almost a year because of price since I could get three nice guns for the price.

I am going with a Nighthawk Talon 5in Bob with black nitride , blank slide, Ledge rear, with green dot front. Solid flat trigger. single tactical safety, Reverse crown, recessed slide stop, and maybe a fluted barrel(thoughts on barrel).

This will be my EDC for the most part unless I cant then I will still carry my LCR. Please provide comments on the build as this is my first 1911 add what you would add or what you think would benefit me for a combat pistol. (I do not want a commander size)

Thanks in advance,

Brian

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like a nice, but pricey 1911 clone with the features one would want in a defensive 1911 clone. With that aside if you haven’t trained with a 1911 or carried one extensively this might not be your best option. I would suggest a more basic first pistol with the money saved used for ammunition and training. Afterwards you’ll know if the 1911 is for you or not and can pick up another one for your battery.

if you haven’t trained with a 1911 or carried one extensively this might not be your best option. I would suggest a more basic first pistol with the money saved used for ammunition and training.

I agree, You are making a HUGE jump in guns. If you want to try a 1911 for a while get you a RIA and a good holster and see if it fits you. RIA has a great product for the money, I went that route and ended up not carring a 1911 but still love taking it to the range. Good Luck With what ever you choose

I'd agree with the above comments. Maybe try an entry level 1911 first. Metro Arms, RIA, and others can be had under 500 to get you started. I took a Metro Arms 1911-A1 in a trade recently and it seems pretty good.

NH Customs are nice but I dont know if I would make it an EDC with the cost.No doubt you would be getting a great 1911 but they are not for everyone.Like others stated I would start with an entry model and see if you like to carry and 1911.I have several and have Sig TacOps as an EDC but thats what I like.

If you have the money, it is a FINE gun. But sinking $2500+ into a gun that you are going to beat around (carry, so it WILL get a few dings, scratches, and wear spots eventually, and practice sessions as well) is to be done only if money is not a problem for you. Unless you are shooting for an accuracy competition or a race-gun competition where a light trigger and a finely tuned machine matter, there is nothing this gun can do that a well selected $750 pistol cannot. The trigger job, expensive barrel/bushing, hand fit gunsmithing, precision build and all the rest won't make the bad guy any more dead in a typical gunfight at 20 or so feet than they would be if shot by a loose tolerance, inaccurate $500 govt model with a rough trigger.

Guest Brianf88

Thanks everyone for their thoughts. I will still go forth with the buy. I'm not to worried about since it is a tool and is suppose to use. Plus you can always refinish. I want to buy this so I know what a great 1911 feels like and then I want to get a ruger and tune it alittle bit. Also I am going to train and practice with it. If I do find it will be great to carry I'm not going to get rid of it, it still will be a great gun.

I have purchased several nice 1911 pistols in the last few years. I had thought that when I purchased a SA PRO or Wilson Combat then I would have all the 1911s I'd ever want. Those two fine pistols didn't cure the addiction, as yet another has been added to the group. :)

Guest Brianf88

I have purchased several nice 1911 pistols in the last few years. I had thought that when I purchased a SA PRO or Wilson Combat then I would have all the 1911s I'd ever want. Those two fine pistols didn't cure the addiction, as yet another has been added to the group. :)

I know what you mean Hawk, I do not even have this gun yet and I am already thinking of my next one!

My $0.02. If you have the money and want the gun, get it. I alternate between my NHC T3 and Talon 2011. Will I ever have the skill to really test the limits of my 1911s? Absolutely not. Were they practical purchases? Nope, but I still wanted them.

My take on pretty much anything is that you worked for your money, and how you choose to spend it is up to you. Therefore, if you see something you want, whether it is a gun, car, house, boat, etc..., and can afford it without going into any kind of debt, buy it and enjoy it. You only live once.

just remember, that the high end hand built guns are tight, and as a carry gun from time to time it will end up being dry (no lube) and they will fill with dust, lint, etc. and on a tight gun it would not be hard to get that just right amount of trash on any tight gun to cause a failure. just my 0.02

just do a basic break down and cleaning very often.

the springfield EMP has been great but you can really see the trash it picks up off of your clothing etc.

Guest Brianf88

Mav thanks, those are my thoughts exactly, I decided I was getting it I was just trying to see if someone could suggest different options or let me know what I plan on doing is solid. Rwf how often do you clean the emp I noticed the trapping on my revolver but I clean that once a month as it is a revolver.

Thanks Brian

not on a regulator, bases, it is a tight little gun but if it worn a lot and i start seeing the lint building up on it. i will do a general break down and cleaning. most of the time on the frame i use a weapons grease (just a small amount), but not on the barrel locking lugs because when you load that first round the grease gets all over the chamber and even after thinking it is all removed dust and lint will still want to stick to it. with daily wear about 2 to 3 weeks.

sorry i am no help on that. but just kept a eye on it, you will know.

it has failed once and i can say that was my fault, and after 200 + rounds. plus it had been lubed-cleaned in 2-3 weeks. i am god aweful at typing, spelling etc so for the whole story go to competion shooting sports, then funny stages.

Mav thanks, those are my thoughts exactly, I decided I was getting it I was just trying to see if someone could suggest different options or let me know what I plan on doing is solid. Rwf how often do you clean the emp I noticed the trapping on my revolver but I clean that once a month as it is a revolver.

Thanks Brian

I have a Nighthawk Custom with near the same options as yours, mine is a commander, I would forget about fluting the barrel, mine has yellow rear and green front Novak night sights they are much better for a carry gun, it is a great color combination mine is the perfect carry gun and I will never sell it. Also see if they still offer Ionbond (Diamond Black) it is a great finish, I would also get it without front cocking serrations as it will look a heck of a lot better.

Guest Brianf88

What you talkin about Willis not that I go that out of the way... I was thinking about the novak setup like that. The only reason I was going with the ledge was for the just incase I ever have to rack it off my belt or table. I wanted the black diamond but last I heard was they were not going with that option anymore as the company they used took to long.

What you talkin about Willis not that I go that out of the way... I was thinking about the novak setup like that. The only reason I was going with the ledge was for the just incase I ever have to rack it off my belt or table. I wanted the black diamond but last I heard was they were not going with that option anymore as the company they used took to long.

You can rack the slide just as easy with the Novaks, and they will not bite you when you carry the gun like the Ledge, whatever you decide I would get a nice holster for it, if you like in the waist band carry the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 is the best that I have found to carry my 1911's. The last I checked they were out about a year on their waiting list