Feedback Wanted - Overhaul the Classifieds / Trading Post?

Classifieds / Trading Post Overhaul  

21 members have voted

1. 1. If you have tried the Classifieds demo, what do you think?

• Yes - I like it. TGO should use this.
    • No - I don't like it at all.

• Administrator

Another nice thing about our switch to the IPBoard software is that it has a really nice Classifieds add-on that I can purchase and use here if the members would like that. Essentially the software allows a full featured Classifieds solution that includes photos, better presentation of the item(s) for sale, a more tidy interface for questions about the items, etc.

You can see a demo of it here: http://dev.millne.com/classifieds/

I'd like it if you all would take a look at the demo and give me your feedback here before I invest in a license of the software. The up-front cost is not prohibitive but it would require an investment of my time to get it all set up and tweaked for TGO. If you all would prefer that we keep things the way they are now, let me know.

One nice thing about this is that it integrates with the IPBoard mobile skin, so those of you surfing from iPhones and Android phones could still see the classified ads in a native format. Unfortunately I have no idea if it would work with, or how it would look on, Android phones if you use Tapatalk. So that's just something to keep in mind.

Thanks! :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Lord, $123,456+ for a french compact car! :rofl:

Seriously, it looks great. I say do it, provisionally. That is to say, if you want to. I doesn't really matter too much. It's very nice, but if you're out of pocket as well as time for doing it, is it worth your time?

I'd be happy to see it, but I wouldn't be upset if I didn't. 6.8AR is right, there's no problem with what we have.

I looked at it... its nice, but that begs the question "what are you getting for how much $$". I did not see anything in that demo that we *have* to have, just looks like a better layout (marginally). Does it have some feature (apart from layout/eye candy) that you were looking at that I missed or did not see as a big improvement??

Hey David,

I see they carry a timer much like Sleaze-bay and other auction type sites. Does that mean at the timers expiration the ad will close itself? If so, I would love to see the change. Nothing's anymore aggravating than seeing something for sale, only to open it and see *SPF* I do miss the old system where we had the option of locking our own threads. Courteous people could lock their for sale ads and when you see the lock you wouldn't bother clicking on it.

Nice presentation features, but I don't think there's anything we just HAVE to have. Locking or even editing our own thread title (i.e. edit "WTS: Item Name - $1,000,000" to "SPF: Item Name - $1,000,000") would be a huge plus. It would also be really nice to know an item is SPF or sold just by seeing the updated title.

I really enjoy TGO. Thanks for doing such a great job and for caring enough to seek our input.

Edited by Glock30

I think the new system would be appreciated by the members. Like you always say David, if improvements can be done, why not. I also agree with being able to lock or close sale ads when an item is sold. I do think the classifieds area could be a little more appealing to the eye but that's just me.

I like the demo. Some folks, especially the newer guys, seem to have a hard time figuiring out how to post pics and leave out usefull info that the demo system seems to mandate. Go with the newer one.;)

• Administrator

The money isn't the problem... it's only $35 plus a minor additional support fee every 6 months, but that part is optional. I may take a chance on it soon and set it up in a test basis somehow so that we can all play with the software a bit.

... I do miss the old system where we had the option of locking our own threads. Courteous people could lock their for sale ads and when you see the lock you wouldn't bother clicking on it.

Very few actually closed their threads, though.

- OS

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Just by way of an update...

I have begun installing the Classifieds software and will be unveiling it in the next day or two. It really just depends on how much time I get to work on it today between other projects. :)

Stay tuned!

• 2 weeks later...