Best guns to stock up on

ok why is a rem 700, a long range bolt gun, for up close zombies? Was this supposed to be a shotgun? My 700 is a 243 (?)

'cause I'm an idiot. My 700 will probably stay in the safe. Meant 870. Editing now...

BTW... mine is a 270. Bad choice for up close.

Edited by mikegideon

I was talking to a friend about this and he was talking about his BOB and how he jut upgraded to g17 with the sub 2000. This is the bag he keeps in his car to get home. He was telling me that he was looking at getting rid of his old BOB guns and offered up to me a hipoint c9 and 995 with 2 8round mags and 6 10 round mags for a whopping $200. The 995 has the ATI stock on it. This BOB looks like it is going in the wifes car. She shot both today and likes the 995 more than my Beretta rifle. I have one of the planet of the apes stock on the one at the cabin and I think I am going to get the ATI for that one as well. I know that the inner gun snob in all of you want to knock Hipoints but I have never gotten first hand account of a big problem with them. It is always a friend of my uncles brothers sisters husbands friend blew his hand off or of accounts from people that have never shot one and are pissed that a $150 gun functions properly after there 1200 kimber is in the shop again. I know they are ugly and heavy but I think I like this combo for trunk BOB. The question is does anyone know if they sell holsters for the c9. I want to attach the holster to the bag so the guns don't flop around in the bag.

I have liked mine just thought they were ugly and heavy so they have always been truck or cabin guns so if they get stolen or damaged it is not a $500 loss. They ATI stock made the 995 easier to hold and aim. My wife punched out the bullseye at 20yds making one large jagged hole with 30 rounds. She had no fliers and it did not seem to loose any accuracy afer 500 rounds. We put near 800 rounds in it today and not a single issue. We were doing a little training and she used that and I was using my beretta and I had ftf, fte and a mag issue in less than 400 rounds. That rifle has been back to beretta 3 time because of the same issues. I dont think I have even been able to get 1000 rounds in it yet. I will probably pick another one up if the right price comes around.

I was talking to a friend about this and he was talking about his BOB and how he jut upgraded to g17 with the sub 2000. This is the bag he keeps in his car to get home. He was telling me that he was looking at getting rid of his old BOB guns and offered up to me a hipoint c9 and 995 with 2 8round mags and 6 10 round mags for a whopping $200. The 995 has the ATI stock on it. This BOB looks like it is going in the wifes car. She shot both today and likes the 995 more than my Beretta rifle. I have one of the planet of the apes stock on the one at the cabin and I think I am going to get the ATI for that one as well. I know that the inner gun snob in all of you want to knock Hipoints but I have never gotten first hand account of a big problem with them. It is always a friend of my uncles brothers sisters husbands friend blew his hand off or of accounts from people that have never shot one and are pissed that a $150 gun functions properly after there 1200 kimber is in the shop again. I know they are ugly and heavy but I think I like this combo for trunk BOB. The question is does anyone know if they sell holsters for the c9. I want to attach the holster to the bag so the guns don't flop around in the bag.

Ugly and heavy are the consistent comments from the folks that know better. I've never picked one up, but I can confirm the ugly part. There's definately a place in the world for them. There is a number of reasons I like and own guns. None of them apply to the High Points except for a reliable bang.

Edited by mikegideon

The reliable bang and cost is the only reasons I own them. I have several high end guns that jam if I don't use the right ammo. I do like that the hipoints are not pickt on ammo. I have shot every kind of ammo in them with no issues.

The reliable bang and cost is the only reasons I own them. I have several high end guns that jam if I don't use the right ammo. I do like that the hipoints are not pickt on ammo. I have shot every kind of ammo in them with no issues.

I don't have any that i would call high end. None of them jam. I see what you're saying though. If I was gonna abuse one, a High point is probably a perfect choice. I baby mine.

What are all these high end guns you guys are talking about. Nearly all mine get dropped, dinged and scratched in their lifetimes. They, after all, are just tools to me. To really find out how reliable your gun is it needs to be used and sometimes abused.

Anyone who has seen my 1911 knows this, it is part stainless, part blue and silver where the bluing is gone. It has been dropped, thrown, and just abused to make sure it will be 100% reliable. And it has been for 3,500 rounds so far. Same goes for every other gun I own with the exception of just a couple. They all wear scars of use and abuse. And because of this I trust my daily use guns 100%, even my AR in 22lr.

Dolomite

• Like 2

That's the way I am with mine, I don't baby them any. I know people who do though, which in some ways isn't a bad thing. Then again if your gun stays just as pretty as the day you bought it, you don't shoot it enough.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Here's my thing about the AR. If it breaks, you can fix it in a few minutes with the right parts. I don't understand the basement build fear, when It was designed for the easiest field repair work you can find in any gun. I can swap a broken bolt or extractior in a few minutes. FCG parts are about the same. You gotta kaboom one to kill it.

I have way over 1000 rounds (closer to 2000) through my "basement" build, and it hasn't malfunctioned once. It's a lot like my Glocks. If stuff gets real, it's the one I'll grab. That, and a 1/16" punch so I can fix it.

This is all true.

I've built several "basement builds". The only things that separate basement builds from a high-end manufacturer AR are parts selection and a basic grasp of the proper procedures. Not difficult at all.

I think that getting 5 of everything doesn't make total sense.

5 sidearms (used Glock 17's are less than $400 out the door)

5 Mossberg or Maverick Shotguns (20 Ga if worried about your wife)

2 Ruger 10/22

1 Ruger MKII

After the above, have 1 or 2 long range high power rifles.

CMP M1 Garands with surplus ammo?

Between Birdshot, Buckshot and Slugs the Shotty makes a lot of sense.

More than sharing Pistol/Rifle calibers to me...

cloud- I don't have any problems with AR or home builds. I have a problem with good ol Bubba thinking he is going to make some cash by building an AR and asking 2 time what the parts are for. Those guys always get used or questionable parts and cheap out everywhere they can. The only way I can get 5 AR's and maintain a reasonable budget would be to get these basement builds and then you are getting a very sub par rifle.

East- I am doing 5 for each because these packs will be stored at the house/car of each person so they can get to the safe house and have everything in one bag when they get there. That was my main reason for not using a shotgun. In my experience a HD shotgun has a lot less accuracy past 10 yds, that is why I went with a carbine instead and for up close situations a handgun is way easier to draw and move with. To get a multi use shotgun it needs to be 20in barrel or more, that makes it hare to get in a pack plus having to carry 3 types of ammo for it would be heavy and bulky. With the 357 setup I can put 200 rounds of 357, a box of 22lr, and 100rounds of 243 for about the same weight and size as 2 boxes of 12ga shells. so using a shot gun with 3 types of ammo with it would significantly weigh down the packs. and leav less room in the bag for other supplies. Once they are a the safe house there will be other choices and plenty of ammo but I would like everyone to have options they are very familiar with before they get there.

I'm almost comfortable with only handguns. I have been in a combat zone before and liked toteing a rifle, but give me a good accurate reliable handgun and I'm fine for home defense/ emergency hunting. If you think you will get off 2k rounds before your killed or seriously injured I doubt it. Truth be known even with my training I doubt I could defend off more than 12 home invaders during a (insert event) before I was over run. I think 1000 rds of ammo for four people/4 weapons may be more than enough.

If I were you I think I would want 4 Glocks in 9mm(any model) May not be a bad idea if one was actually a 40SW with a 9mm conversion barrel because I feel 40SW may be one of the most available calibers during a shortage because it was before. I was present when a friend shot a whole mag of 357sig out of a 40 barrel without it blowing up. The rounds actually hit paper. We got the loaded mags mixed up. Apparantly we aren't the only ones to ever do this so in an emergency I'm taking a chance on a 357sig in a 40 barrel if thats all I got.

This is all true.

I've built several "basement builds". The only things that separate basement builds from a high-end manufacturer AR are parts selection and a basic grasp of the proper procedures. Not difficult at all.

Nothing says you can't use good parts in your own builds. I don't put my rifles together to save money. The more you know about the available AR parts, the more you understand the difference in cost between "manufactured" guns.

Guest HvyMtl

A thought. Mil-surp may be a great way to go. The Mil-surp rifle will be a proven reliable firearm, typically in a plentiful caliber. Again, cost will be an issue. But, these firearms are designed and built to handle what would destroy the average civilian firearm.

I'm almost comfortable with only handguns. I have been in a combat zone before and liked toteing a rifle, but give me a good accurate reliable handgun and I'm fine for home defense/ emergency hunting. If you think you will get off 2k rounds before your killed or seriously injured I doubt it. Truth be known even with my training I doubt I could defend off more than 12 home invaders during a (insert event) before I was over run. I think 1000 rds of ammo for four people/4 weapons may be more than enough.

If I were you I think I would want 4 Glocks in 9mm(any model) May not be a bad idea if one was actually a 40SW with a 9mm conversion barrel because I feel 40SW may be one of the most available calibers during a shortage because it was before. I was present when a friend shot a whole mag of 357sig out of a 40 barrel without it blowing up. The rounds actually hit paper. We got the loaded mags mixed up. Apparantly we aren't the only ones to ever do this so in an emergency I'm taking a chance on a 357sig in a 40 barrel if thats all I got.

Everybody has their own vision of how SHTF will play out. One guy defending his home may not need rifles. I see folks banding together. I want more range and a bigger slap.

Edited by mikegideon

I only put rifles in the mix because if I see a large group of gun toting zombies coming up the hill. I would like to resolve that situation before they get to close. As far as the round count I am stocking up on is because if we have a situation where supply lines are cut off. I would like to have enough ammo for 1-2yrs for not just defending my place but after that i would like to hunt/practice. I heard from some friends that it took almost 2 yrs after Katrina to be able to walk up and buy ammo. They said most places they checked said they got the ammo in and was sold out in matter of hours. They also stated that 90% of the LGS have still are not open today meaning you can only shop big box.

Why would a 357 blow up a 40? The other way around would suck bad if you somehow chambered it, but a 357 is just going to have some gas blowby and reduced energy and accuracy, its not dangerous. The same guns shoot both with just a barrel change, so its not too much for the frame/slide/springs either.

The ammo supply is for the long haul, not fending off thousands of people at once so much as hunting and defending over a decade. I agree a normal family can probably only handle a few 10s of attackers with any confidence from a fortified position.

I would almost rather have all pistols as well. Home base, one sniper rifle, one shotgun, one semi rifle are all good. Wandering around, a variety of pistols would be my pick. If I had a "home base" I would certainly arm it with bigger stuff that is impractical to haul around or for realistic defense.

I would not want to have to hunt with a glock. I can probably manage a magnum revolver, but I wouldnt want to try it with most typical defensive guns if there were any alternative. If I had to hunt with a 9mm, I would want some shotshell for small game too.

Why would a 357 blow up a 40? The other way around would suck bad if you somehow chambered it, but a 357 is just going to have some gas blowby and reduced energy and accuracy, its not dangerous. The same guns shoot both with just a barrel change, so its not too much for the frame/slide/springs either.

Just to clarify we shot the 357Sig through a 40 barrel. It was by accident but it really got me to thinking about the usefullness of a 40 if in a emergency you could shoot 357sig if thats all you had.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Baron

So many good suggestions, but I have yet to see the most reliable,

Economical and versital option mentioned.

The single-shot break action 12 ga.

Cost - H&Rs run about 130 new.

Reliability - doesn't get much more reliable and can even be used as a muzzle loader.

Versitility - Adapters will let you shoot everything from 22 to 45 colt. If you are realy hard up

all you need is a primer, black powder and rocks.

Cons - Slow reloads and poor acuracy with adapters.

The good heavily outweighs the bad and is why one is in my SHTF supply.