Going blind, what to do? (AR15 and Optics)

Guest Torrin

Guest Torrin

I am getting old and whilst out shooting my brand new AR15, I found I could not hit crap. After thinking about it a bit and having my brother shot it, I quickly surmised that I was blind. I have a peep site on the rig, and I can't see the peep site and the target on the other side clearly. If I take my glasses off, I can see the peep site, and put rounds on target at 65 yards, but I can't see crap past 65 yards without my glasses.

I have never used optics, beyond a old scope on my 30 year old .3030. Should I be looking at optics? I don't have a ton to spend, but I don't want to go cheap. Does anyone have my vision issue? Will a good red dot optic solve the issue for me? (I don't need reading glasses, I just can't read with my distance glasses on, my eyes are 20/100 or so)

Any advice is appreciated.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same problem. I used a red dot, but it was not accurate enough for me because of the size of the dot increases in ralation to the target with greater distance. It's great for things up to about 150 yards or so, but not so much when things are further. For my Sig 556 DMR I bought some quick-release scope mounts from Larue and put a SWFA 10x on it. Mount & scope was about $400.

Guest Torrin

I have the same problem. I used a red dot, but it was not accurate enough for me because of the size of the dot increases in ralation to the target with greater distance. It's great for things up to about 150 yards or so, but not so much when things are further. For my Sig 556 DMR I bought some quick-release scope mounts from Larue and put a SWFA 10x on it. Mount & scope was about $400.

150 yards is probably going to be good enough. I really am using this for plinking and refamiliarizing myself with the platform (the last time I fired an m16 was 1983). So a better question is, what is a good entry level Red Dot?

Guest Torrin

Aimpoint seems to be $450-$1000, is that really entry level for Optics? I have seen Optics as cheap as $80 (Okay, it is probably junk) but again, this is for plinking and such, not home defense.

Aimpoint seems to be $450-$1000, is that really entry level for Optics? I have seen Optics as cheap as $80 (Okay, it is probably junk) but again, this is for plinking and such, not home defense.

Primary Arms makes a very good red dot sight for around $100.

Primary arms if you don't ever count on it for serious use.

Mike

Look at the Zoom Dot. They were made by MIllett but now by Bushnell.

I have a Millett Zoom Dot that is built like a tank. When I bought it the cost was comparable to a used Aimpoint, ~$350. They are now made by Bushnell but should be a decent mid level red dot sight for the price of ~$250. My Millett was used and abused overseas but never lost zero or had any other issues with it. It also has a auto sensing feature that dims or brightens the sight automatically based on ambient light. The side knob controls the dot size, changing it from 1 MOA dot to a 10 MOA dot. It makes making more precise shots easier by turning down the reticle size.The battery life on the Zoom Dot is ~1,300 hours in a well lit area if left on. It can also be turned off. Another great feature is it has no wires, only a thin wafer of electronics that can easily be replaced by the end user. It uses standard Aimpoint batteries ot two LR44/LR76 or comparables.

I had one and sold it and immediately missed it. It is one optic that will never leave my possession.

Dolomite

I prefer the Eotech. Even over the aimpoint. I am red/green color blind and I have GREAT difficulty finding the red dot and staying focused on it. Couple that with a bad astigmatism and, well...

The Eotech, having a ring around the dot draws your eye to the dot, and quickly. This along with the different intensity settings may help with failing eyesight as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jcohn

I do not mean to thread jack but figured Id reply here than start a new one. I am also looking for a good red dot but do not gave an issue with vision when wearing glasses. I am looking at eotech but am leaning towards Trijicon I have not seen any Trijicon mentioned here. What is everyone's take on them vs the eotech

Guest Torrin

Look at the Zoom Dot. They were made by MIllett but now by Bushnell.

I have a Millett Zoom Dot that is built like a tank. When I bought it the cost was comparable to a used Aimpoint, ~$350. They are now made by Bushnell but should be a decent mid level red dot sight for the price of ~$250. My Millett was used and abused overseas but never lost zero or had any other issues with it. It also has a auto sensing feature that dims or brightens the sight automatically based on ambient light. The side knob controls the dot size, changing it from 1 MOA dot to a 10 MOA dot. It makes making more precise shots easier by turning down the reticle size.The battery life on the Zoom Dot is ~1,300 hours in a well lit area if left on. It can also be turned off. Another great feature is it has no wires, only a thin wafer of electronics that can easily be replaced by the end user. It uses standard Aimpoint batteries ot two LR44/LR76 or comparables.

I had one and sold it and immediately missed it. It is one optic that will never leave my possession.

Dolomite

I got this one Monday, it seems nice but I have not have not had it out shooting yet. Thanks for the advice.

Gonna take you in another direction.

Lots of the AR red dots are designed for up close shooting, 25 yard stuff for "combat" style training and so on. Often the dots cover 1 to 1.5 MOA on a target! If you want to do precision shooting, you might try an ultradot (mostly for pistols but I dont think an AR would hurt it) which has tiny dots and is an excellent replacement for iron sights. Not sure about some of the other stuff listed but I would gladly shoot 100 yards with the ultradot on a rifle over iron sights.

Gonna take you in another direction.

Lots of the AR red dots are designed for up close shooting, 25 yard stuff for "combat" style training and so on. Often the dots cover 1 to 1.5 MOA on a target! If you want to do precision shooting, you might try an ultradot (mostly for pistols but I dont think an AR would hurt it) which has tiny dots and is an excellent replacement for iron sights. Not sure about some of the other stuff listed but I would gladly shoot 100 yards with the ultradot on a rifle over iron sights.

Hum. I hadn't looked at those. Looks like most of their red dots are 4MOA dots, especially those in the sub-$200 range. Looks like the Ultradot 6 and the Ultradot Matchdot offer selectable dot sizes starting at 2MOA and go for $200-$250. Not bad.