Finished my first AR build!!

Guest RCLARK

Guest RCLARK

FedEx delivered the last few parts for my AR today. Pinned it all together and shot 30 dialing in. First time using a HWS...I may be hooked!

c3a566f9.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Is that a SAA upper? I love the EO-Tech for about 150m and closer. I know there a folks that prefer an Aim-point; I have trouble with the single dot at any but the closest distances and the battery life isn't a factor to me. I don't plan on leaving any optic running for more than necessary.

I'm a big Eotech fan. Just got my second one this week. I DO put backup iron sights on my rifles. Last time I was out with mine, the batteries on the Eotech were dead. You'll have to move the Eotech toward the muzzle to make room for a rear sight and still have access to the buttons. I have magpul rear sights on my rifles. The front sight will have to be Gas block height. I have one of these...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2344177563/midwest-industries-flip-up-front-sight-gas-block-height-ar-15-aluminum

Guest RCLARK

I'm a big Eotech fan. Just got my second one this week. I DO put backup iron sights on my rifles. Last time I was out with mine, the batteries on the Eotech were dead. You'll have to move the Eotech toward the muzzle to make room for a rear sight and still have access to the buttons. I have magpul rear sights on my rifles. The front sight will have to be Gas block height. I have one of these...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2344177563/midwest-industries-flip-up-front-sight-gas-block-height-ar-15-aluminum

I have a MBUS front and rear that I have had for a while. Didn't occur to me that the front wouldn't work till I started to put it on. Magpul also says the gas block will melt their sights. I ran across a good deal on a LMT SOPMOD stock, which has spare battery compartments. Will probably lean on that as backup on this rifle.

Yep, the gas block will melt the sight, and it's the wrong height. I don't know what else is available, but the Midwest Industries works fine on my rifle. I like flip-up sights with an Eotech.

No need for the LMT stock just for battery storage. Get the AA insert for your Magpul grip. This mounting location works great for me with an MBUS rear sight. Both of my Eotechs are mounted in the same location...

IMG_0616b.jpg

Guest RCLARK

Yep, the gas block will melt the sight, and it's the wrong height. I don't know what else is available, but the Midwest Industries works fine on my rifle. I like flip-up sights with an Eotech.

No need for the LMT stock just for battery storage. Get the AA insert for your Magpul grip. This mounting location works great for me with an MBUS rear sight. Both of my Eotechs are mounted in the same location...

That looks nice with the Eotech slid forward. I may end up where you are when it's all done. The LMT felt a lot better than the Magpul CTR that I started with. The battery tubes were just a plus.

If you notice the slight cutout under the battery compartment... I always figured it was there to clear a railed handguard. As much as I like the 512 overall, the buttons are a pain in the butt, especially when you're turning it off. I couldn't live with mine any closer to the rear sight.

Yeah, the LMT stock is great. I have a Magpul ACS on my .458. It has a similar feel, and battery tubes as well.

Edited by mikegideon
Guest RCLARK

If you notice the slight cutout under the battery compartment... I always figured it was there to clear a railed handguard. As much as I like the 512 overall, the buttons are a pain in the butt, especially when you're turning it off. I couldn't live with mine any closer to the rear sight.

I think you are right. I had it slid forward over the hand guard when I first mounted it but it looked goofy up there without the rear sight. I haven't done much shooting since I finished it other than to just sight it in and run a few mags to make sure everything functioned ok. Been nuts at work and I am actually in Florida for a wedding this week. When I start shooting more I have a feeling I may move it back forward some.